Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post
    Long ago while watching Anissina and Peizerat at some competition on TV, my niece wondered why two ladies were skating together.
    Well, at TEB, few years ago, the old lady sitting next to me told me, during the Men LP : "I didn't know that the competition was opened to men and women at the same time". She was talking about Sergei Dobrin.

Other thing, not funny at all, that my brother told me in 1993.
    "You'll see, Lu Chen will be on the podium at the Olympics and Surya Bonaly will be in 4th".
    And then again, at 1994 Junior Worlds : "You'll see, Michelle Kwan will be World champion in the next few years".

I wonder what are his thoughts about FS these days !

vCash
    I got my picture taken with Alexei Yagudin when I was 18 (just after he won the O's), and my mom had it up on the fridge for a bit. One of her non-skating fan friends saw it and said 'Oh, he's cute! Is that her boyfriend?' My mom replied with a resounding 'yes'.

vCash
    At work the other day, my coworker said "Oh! I thought of you - I was watching figure skating!" (the GPF) and we proceeded to talk about it. I actually hadn't gotten a chance to watch the competition at that point yet.

Coworker: "This one Japanese guy fell TWICE. I couldn't believe it. TWICE!"
    Me: "Well, believe it or not, that's not actually that uncommon."
    Coworker: "But these are suppose to be professionals! The best of the best!"

vCash
    My dad and I were watching the (delayed) broadcast of TEB in 2007 and he really loved K/N better than "the french who won" (Delshoe). He had only one problem: is she really allowed to dress up like that ? Then I told him that they indeed had a costume deduction but it was because he was wearing tights, not because of her.

My 3 year old nephew came to me while I was watching an ice dance FD on youtube and he started watching the end with me. He was quiet and really seemed focused on it so I asked him if he liked it and he answered "yes, because they spin and turn!!!" and I told him "you are so right! This is what ice dance is all about now!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
    Oh, I have some, courtesy of my bf. He used to call Todd Eldredge "No Quad Todd".
    Gee, that's mean spirited. - I just don't care about quads to the exclusion of everything else in skating, but that's JMHO, so I don't want to get into a heated quad/no quad debate here.

I have a friend who's a casual fan at best. She gets confused with men's skaters names in particular - Kurt Eldredge/Todd Hamilton/Browning. I usually end up correcting her gently.

OTOH, I have friends who do ask me whom to watch for in the various competitions.

vCash
    My friend and I were talking about the Vancouver olympics and I asked him who he thought would win the women's competition. He said ohhh I know... Nancy Kerrigan!!!!

Lololol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_T_T_ View Post
    Mu Aunt claims to be a fan of Igor Evgenevich. (Plushenko) When I came back from TEB last year she asked if Kiki Wada was there- still not sure who that was meant to be!
    Kiki Wada? Maybe Kiri Baga?

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    Show her Chan's 2010 Skate Canada SP. She'll be traumatized for life.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertango View Post
    He had only one problem: is she really allowed to dress up like that ? Then I told him that they indeed had a costume deduction but it was because he was wearing tights, not because of her.
    men are not allowed to wear tights?

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    I wonder what fans of other sports are saying about us? As far as I know, the Cleveland Browns football team is composed of Bernie Kozar, Brian Sipe and Jim Brown.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Unfortunately I was in hospital when Worlds 2004 started and had to watch the Men's competition along with some fellow-patients who weren't skating followers at all. I remember one of them described Plushenko as a 'cold fish' whereas all of them really fell in love with Stephane Lambiel.

vCash
    My husband is a teacher and he showed D/W OD from last season to his sophomore class (it was a class on multiculturalism). Most of them had never seen ice dance before. One kid commented that he thought their steps were good but he was hoping that the "guy would throw the girl around more."

Cue five minute explanation of ice dance versus pairs. Thank goodness my husband has been watching skating with me for 11 years and was well versed in the difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    At work the other day, my coworker said "Oh! I thought of you - I was watching figure skating!" (the GPF) and we proceeded to talk about it. I actually hadn't gotten a chance to watch the competition at that point yet.

HAHAHA!!! When I wanted to take my friends with me to watch figure skating competition I decided to explain them some rules, and one of them asked me how many times skaters can fall before they are disqualified

Or another question: "Do you see a difference between all those jumps? Come on, it's impossible. I'm sure even judges can't do it."

vCash
    In the 2002 season I was watching ice dancing (Euros?) when Fusar-Poli/Margaglio were skating he said: "He doesn't do very much, does he?"

vCash
    in 2002 when US Nats was in LA, my brother and sister in law took me out to supper.
    SIL who does not follow skating in any form ask "what else was I going to do while in LA", my brother, who isn't skate saavy but does know some, replied she will be seeing the inside of the staples center - kind of like when we got to Lakers basketball games, one game is not the entire season. Then she asked if I was going to see Tara, Nancy K, Kristi Y, Scott H, Brian B and Katia and Sergi skate - my brother tried to explain that those skaters are no longer competing.

My ex-boss who was a self declared "devoted skating" fan wanted to know why skaters didn't learn different programs - that she was seeing the same program each week (during Grand Prix season and ABC, ESPN, USA were showing all the events). Her response "no wonder people don't want to watch skating, it is the same thing all the time. they would do better to perform a new program each week". Also during the SLC competitions wanted to know who that girl from switzerland was because she is so cute but she had never heard of her before (I think it was Sarah Meier?). She called Irina - Slutskaya because she was Michelle and Sasha's enemy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Kiki Wada? Maybe Kiri Baga?
    No she would never have seen or heard of Kiri Baga! Unless you were a close follower of the sport you wouldn't have. Miki Ando was probably the closest one I could think of. Or possibly a mixture of Miki and Asada. Who knows!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_T_T_ View Post
    No she would never have seen or heard of Kiri Baga! Unless you were a close follower of the sport you wouldn't have. Miki Ando was probably the closest one I could think of. Or possibly a mixture of Miki and Asada. Who knows!
    I thought of Aki Sawada.

vCash
    Where does this long-suffering daughter start? My mother likes to come watch figure skating shows with me, but I'm not sure she's yet even grasped that there's a difference between singles and pairs, and I've given up trying to explain the difference between pairs and ice dance. And even though I've explained things to her before, given her a history of the sport on the metro to see Micheal Weiss' annual show, and even given her videos to watch, she never remembers anything.
    But as for what she's said, the funniest was probably when we went to see Kaleidescope last year(and she was furious at their commanding the audience to clap at their convenience and waited while they did multiple takes to tape the intros to the skaters; her dislike of anything Fox did not help). Initially she liked Dorothy Hamill and Rachael Flatt, found them strong and enjoyed them. Then a couple of months later, when I mentioned the latter was mentored by the former, she did remember them(which is remarkable in itself!), but talked about how she should have known because Rachael was so "conventional," and of Dorothy she sneered, "She must have a lot of money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast