Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Wherever the beautiful and artistic male skaters are! :-D
    vCash

Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport

I decided to start this thread after recently talking to a guy who knows next to nothing about figure skating. I had to share his (unintentionally) hilarious comment with you all:

"Elvis Stojko? He's the first man to land a backflip in competition, right?" (Seriously, the man wasn't joking----he really did believe that! )

My brother is also clueless about the sport, and he thought Canada's top men's singles skater was named Patrick Buttle.

Anyone else have amusing stories related to non-figure skating fans trying to say something about this sport or its athletes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    "Elvis Stojko? He's the first man to land a backflip in competition, right?" (Seriously, the man wasn't joking----he really did believe that! )

My brother is also clueless about the sport, and he thought Canada's top men's singles skater was named Patrick Buttle.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    In Print: "Michael Weiss was the first American man to land a Quad Sow Cow."

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    LOL!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    So funny!

vCash
    Mu Aunt claims to be a fan of Igor Evgenevich. (Plushenko) When I came back from TEB last year she asked if Kiki Wada was there- still not sure who that was meant to be!

YEAH!
    vCash
    One of my relatives asks, when any Asian female skater is on the ice "Isn't that Nancy Kwan? She still hasn't retired?"

One of my cousins "tests" me to see if I really know about the technical side of skating by asking really dumb, easy questions like "why is the axel the hardest jump?" (because it takes off forward, according to some commentator he must have heard in his three seconds of ever watching fs), and is soooo shocked when I know what I'm talking about and identify the other jumps.

Once we were playing Trivial Pursuit and there was a rather obscure question about a skater who had won multiple US ladies titles, but never an Oly gold, in the 1970s (it was Janet Lynn, but alas it wasn't my question). My cousin answers "Oh, that French black chick!" (Surya) I'm like, she wasn't skating in the 70s, and if you know she's FRENCH, how could she have won the US title? Derrrr. It's just that they remembered her losing the gold at Worlds and being really upset.
    Last edited by Cherub721; 12-18-2010 at 11:32 PM.

vCash
    This wasn't a comment but a reaction.
    The couple next to me for the Olympic Men's Short was there because they got the tickets as part of a package so they decided to check it out.

The first time something was thrown onto the ice he was flabbergasted.
    Him: "What are they doing?"
    Me: "Oh people throw things onto the ice for skaters they like."
    Him: (with the funniest look on his face and laughing) "You're kidding. Seriously?" What are they throwing?
    Me: "Usually stuffed animals - but sometimes other things. People used to throw flowers but bits of them came off onto the ice."
    Him: Lots of laughter - and still disbelieving. He said something else in his amazement but I can't remember what it was. He thought it was pretty funny.
    And I guess - when you think about it - it kind of is! I started to imagine what it would be like if stuffed animals were thrown in during other Winter Sports like - hockey or curling - or biathalon! Or even more performance based sports like gymnastics. When you think of it happening at any of those it would be weird. Then again there are men who throw themselves at Russian tennis players!

Oh and the same guy - kept guessing which man in each flight was going to get the highest score based on what he was wearing. He was often right!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_T_T_ View Post
    Mu Aunt claims to be a fan of Igor Evgenevich. (Plushenko) When I came back from TEB last year she asked if Kiki Wada was there- still not sure who that was meant to be!
    Lol with my mother it's ''How did Eugeny do?''

vCash
    Goodness, this thread is hilarious!

vCash
    Oh, I have some, courtesy of my bf. He used to call Todd Eldridge "No Quad Todd". Whenever he see Inoue & Baldwin, he says, "Oh, there's that guy who could never get that girl in real life". He occasionally asks if "Turtle Girl" (Mira Leung) or "Muscle Girl" (Meagan Duhamel) is skating. When I was watching the GP Final, he actually recognized Robin Solkowy as "that guy we almost ran into. He was a lot shorter than I expected. He looks a lot taller on tv." (we almost literally ran into him at Skate America 2008).

Clueless American
    vCash
    Long ago while watching Anissina and Peizerat at some competition on TV, my niece wondered why two ladies were skating together.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siberia82 View Post
    a guy who knows next to nothing about figure skating.
    My hubby is that guy. He asked about Alissa when I was watching GPF: is she 35 years old?

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post
    Long ago while watching Anissina and Peizerat at some competition on TV, my niece wondered why two ladies were skating together.
    Nowdays Anissina is being called: "She is a green-eyed goddness. Look and get envious! I want the whole world to enjoy her naked beauty" by her husband Dzhigurda, her topless photos are there (don't ask me to post the link, it's not safe for workplace).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love skating View Post
    This is hilarious!!!
    Thank you for those funny episodes. I love this thread!
    I wish I had some...

vCash
    I remember being at Canadian nationals in Calgary in 2000....Kurt Browning had been retired for 6 years at the time, but his picture was in the program as he was being inducted into the Skate Canada Hall of Fameat the event....a lady behind me opened her program, saw his picture and exclaimed so-excitedly (seriously like she was about to burst) "Is Kurt competing?!"

At the same competion there was a lady skating called Annie Bazinet, someone near me wondered if she was any relation to the choreographer, Sandra Bazinet

vCash
    When each of my 2 kids were about 3 yrs old, they wanted to get my attention onto them instead of watching skating on TV. My daughter climbed to the top of the couch and jumped off saying that she could do a double poopy. My son did something similar but said he was going to do a double whip.

vCash
    It took a lot of explaining before my mom understood that the SP and LP were not seperate competitions. After watching the men's short program during the last Olympics, she was all distraught over Plushenko getting gold instead of Evan.

During the 2006 Olympics, my brother was convinced that Shizuka Arakawa was Michelle Kwan and informed me that she finally won the gold medal.

A friend of mine was watching the 2010 US nationals ladies LP with me and kept asking me to let her know when the skater was going to do a triple axel.

Watching and talking about skating with non-fans is fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    One of my relatives asks, when any Asian female skater is on the ice "Isn't that Nancy Kwan? She still hasn't retired?"
    I was at the Champions on Ice show in Hartford, CT in April of 2006. I had taken pictures, and I sent a picture of Michelle to my mother.
    She replied, "That's Nancy Quon."

vCash
    [QUOTE=LongTimeLurker;2992001]Oh, I have some, courtesy of my bf. He used to call Todd Eldridge "No Quad Todd".QUOTE]

well that is better than what I used to call him.....

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast