Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I feel badly that none of these skaters get time off from their seasons. Money is great of course, but how about a break?
    Exactly. And many of these skaters have been going nonstop since before the Oly season.

It would be so much better to have the WTT every 4 years, between the Olys, so in 2012, 2016, etc. It's a nice idea and gives skaters the chance to earn some nice prize money, but having it every year is too exhausting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Exactly. And many of these skaters have been going nonstop since before the Oly season.

It would be so much better to have the WTT every 4 years, between the Olys, so in 2012, 2016, etc. It's a nice idea and gives skaters the chance to earn some nice prize money, but having it every year is too exhausting.
    Some of these skaters don't have competitions from the end of worlds until the second to the last grand prix, that is a six month break. I really don't see how they are overworked. Many don't get picked to go to the WTT anyway.

It would be better to have a competition in July to stay competitve or just for fun.

vCash
    It would be so much easier to have the Shibs go. And they could probably use the prize money more.
    The Japanese federation is putting up a million US dollars of prize money and paying all expenses: travel, accomodation and meals for all the skaters, judges, other officials and two coaches/supporting personnel per team! In no other event does a host federation pay all these expenses.

They are doing this because the World Team Trophy is an event for the top skaters and not a scholarship for those who need money.

I really don't get the complaints! This is such a major, major contribution to figure skating! An all-expenses-payed competition with huge prize money and with such an exciting format, so entertaining for the audience! And all this, at a time when cuts are being made to the number of skaters in ISU championships and the GP, the number of JGP events is being reduced, some countries are withdrawing their teams for lack of money and shows are being cancelled in certain countries for lack of interest. It is truly a miracle!

Surely other federations and the skaters are aware of this piece of good luck that has unexpectedly fallen from the sky. There isn't a single other federation that could provide such conditions for the participants, so as a fan I hope they all do their best to make it worthwhile for the Japanese Federation so that this becomes a yearly event in Japan.

vCash
    Very good points, Asli. Also, I don't think anyone is *forced* to do it, right? They just aren't allowed to do shows while its going on if they were selected and pass it up?

vCash
    If I'm reading the rules right... it seems like Abbott will likely be invited to this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toddlj View Post
    If I'm reading the rules right... it seems like Abbott will likely be invited to this.
    It's not like if this happens (JA gets sent over Ross Miner?) they are sending a bad skater, he is pretty good. Same with any other skater/s who has proven in the past he/they have the points to prove they are good enough to go over someone else.

vCash
    What if Italy qualifies? Do they get to send "retired" Faiella/Scalli? (Wishfull thinking to see that FD one last time)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Also, I don't think anyone is *forced* to do it, right? They just aren't allowed to do shows while its going on if they were selected and pass it up?
    They would not be allowed to do any shows from the time they turn down the offer (i.e. just after the Worlds) to April 24th. That is four weeks.

However, any skaters willing to turn down that amount of guaranteed prize money must be really too tired to do shows anyway.

One of the peculiarities of this competition is that the federations will only be able to take upto 10% off the prize money before passing it on to the skaters. What a change for the French skaters (if they qualify)!

vCash
    well considering most skaters concentrate on the Worlds as their final big big destination of the season, competing at the WTT could feel exhausting on some level.

BUT there's a huge compensation for that from JSF, so I'm thinking it's gonna be a good money if skaters can keep their conditions just as that much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Some of these skaters don't have competitions from the end of worlds until the second to the last grand prix, that is a six month break. I really don't see how they are overworked. Many don't get picked to go to the WTT anyway.

It would be better to have a competition in July to stay competitve or just for fun.
    You don't think training full-tilt for the biggest comp of their lives (Olys) is work? And then coming right back to prepare for another season? Skaters' training schedules are structured so that they'll build and peak at the right time, which for these skaters is Worlds. Everyone needs down time after a peak.

July would probably not be a good time for a skating comp for elite skaters. Given that their season doesn't end until almost April, they will still be getting their programs together for the next season.

Jeremy Abbott tweeted that he would be doing the WTT.

I think it's great that skaters have the chance to earn some prize money and it's great that the JSF is supporting a new comp. But I think having this every year, a few weeks after Worlds, and with a long flight w/jet lag for many of the competitors is very tiring for the skaters, and probably not conducive to great performances, either.
    Last edited by Debbie S; 03-10-2011 at 09:16 PM.

vCash
    I thought it was planned for every other year?

vCash
    You don't think training full-tilt for the biggest comp of their lives (Olys) is work? And then coming right back to prepare for another season? Skaters' training schedules are structured so that they'll build and peak at the right time, which for these skaters is Worlds. Everyone needs down time after a peak.

July would probably not be a good time for a skating comp for elite skaters. Given that their season doesn't end until almost April, they will still be getting their programs together for the next season.

I think it's great that skaters have the chance to earn some prize money and it's great that the JSF is supporting a new comp. But I think having this every year, a few weeks after Worlds, and with a long flight w/jet lag for many of the competitors is very tiring for the skaters, and probably not conducive to great performances, either.
    At the 2009 here at the stats:

8 men who went to WTT were at worlds and 4 went who were not.
    7 ladies who went to WTT were at worlds and 5 went who were not.
    5 pairs who went to WTT were at worlds and 1 went who was not.
    5 dancers went to WTT were at worlds and 1 went who was not.

35 people total who went to worlds and 13 who didn't?

So I really don’t think going to Japan for Worlds, going home and competing there again three weeks later is any more taxing than what they do in the Grand Prix season when there is a competition every weekend. Some skaters only have a week off before they are expected to skate again during the GP.

That is what they do; they are highly trained athletes, they can handle it. It’s only 2½ minutes one day and 4½ minutes the next. For an all expense paid trip, plus the points and the money, I don’t think most have a problem with it.

Most don't even do to worlds, some are done the middle of March and a few still skate until the middle of April and then they don't skate until the end of October. I don't hear many if any complaining.

vCash
    Excellent!!

vCash
    does anyone know if mirai is going to WTT?

it would be a really big break for her after losing her worlds berth and she'll be going to college soon or moving to palm springs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Probably not, unless either Czisny or Flatt decline. Both will be the 2 highest ranked US ladies after Worlds using either ranking system.

Do we know if the ISU World rankings or Season's World rankings (for 2010-11 only) will be used to determine which skaters/teams will go to WTT? Or are the 6 federations allowed some discretion in their choices?

Seasons World Ranking before 2011 Worlds:
    4. Czisny (1751)
    6. Flatt (1444)
    8. Nagasu (1332)

World Standings (3 seasons total) before 2011 Worlds:
    9. Czisny (3121)
    11. Nagasu (2761)
    12. Flatt (2734)

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post

it would be a really big break for her after losing her worlds berth and she'll be going to college soon or moving to palm springs
    I don't know. The way the communication is worded
    Furthermore, in case that one or more of the best ranked Skaters/Couples (in the ISU World Standings valid after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2011) of a Qualified ISU Member elects not to participate, the ISU reserves the right to exclude such team from the competition and to invite instead Member/s whose team is ranked next in the ISU World Team Trophy qualification list.
    makes it sound like the ISU expects the top 2 ISU World Standings-ranked skaters to compete at WTT. Right now Alissa is #9, Mirai #11 and Rachael #12.

Rachael has 27 fewer points than Mirai. For Rachael (2734 points) to pass Mirai (2761 points) in the year-end rankings she would need 2762 points total. To achieve this, Rachael would have to finish 6th or better at 2011 Worlds. Finishing 7th would only give her 638 points from Worlds (2760 total), which would not be enough to pass Mirai.

However, I don't think the ISU/JSF would split hairs over Mirai vs. Rachel because they are both considered top USA ladies and Rachael was on the Worlds team. I could maybe see JSF wanting Mirai over Rachael, but I don't see the USA team being disqualified over it.

vCash
    I hope Mirai goes instead of Rachel.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Looks like Alissa is already on the WTT advertisements/poster:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh...krxro1_500.jpg

not that this means anything, of course.

vCash
    Would Evan and Joannie be able to compete in this event, or is it only open to those who competed in ISU events this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I hope Mirai goes instead of Rachel.
    Nice proposal if they agree. And I think Rachael must be busy to study about the time.
    This too will pass away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast