Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I already have vegetarian days for my husband and myself....at least once a week, but since we eat leftovers, it's more like 2 or 3. But-that's an excellent suggestion. We are not huge meat eaters....we consume more dairy than meat.
    One other caution. If someone is on anticoagulants or has other coagulation issues, an on again/off again approach may cause problems. Spikes in Vitamin K will change clot times and make it very difficult to control into a desired range. My hubby's doctor advises his vegetarian/vegan patients to be careful to be consistent with foods that are heavy in Vitamin K - either eat them every day or avoid them completely. That way, the PT tests will be more accurate.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Sounds good in theory, but how many non-vegans eat carefully balanced diets that cover the full nutritional spectrum, without any harmful foods or excess? Judging by the obesity and heart disease stats, the proliferation of fast foods and the products that fill our supermarkets, I'd say very few.
    No kidding. I hate the ignorant comments that come from people in regards to transitioning to a vegetarian or a vegan diet. Plenty of world class athletes are vegan or vegetarian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I'm another vegetarian-not-vegan (I love my dairy too much!), but doing vegan without soy will be an extra challenge for you. Soy is pretty much the only complete protein from vegetable sources; you can get protein from combining other sources (like rice + beans), but it takes more work. [/URL].
    Some vegans and vegetarians eat far too much soy, wreck their thyroids, and then wonder why they can't lose weight. Soy is a decent form of vegetarian protein but there is a potential danger to consuming high amounts of it.
    Last edited by heckles; 12-19-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    No kidding. I hate the ignorant comments that come from people in regards to transitioning to a vegetarian or a vegan diet. Plenty of world class athletes are vegan or vegetarian.
    Sure, but they have plenty of people around them to make sure they're doing the right thing. They can devote the time (and money) to learn all about it. After all, their livelihood depends on their bodies.

Regular folk aren't nearly as lucky to have the knowledge nor the funds or time to get that knowledge.

It also doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. But it's obviously a lot easier to eat healthy while not having to pay attention to labels, than to be vegan and read all your food labels. I bet once you're used to it, it's a no-brainer. But it's hard for someone making that transition.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    it's a lot easier now that all the information you could ever need is on the interwebz
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I'm not too sure about nutritionists, though.
    I went to a nutritionist once because I realized I was lactose intolerant, which was a problem as a vegetarian. She recommended that I switch from drinking fruit juice (real juice) to drinking diet pop. I suppose I could understand the caloric argument and do understand it's better to eat fruit than drink it, but I don't drink pop and never have. I still get irked over the stupidity of that recommendation. Instead, I switched to water.

Maybe this isn't the place to ask but seems semi-on-topic, but does anyone know of any good iron supplements that are vegetarian? My doctors keep recommending non-vegetarian options (e.g., Palafer). The regular drug store pills do bad things to my digestive system.

vCash
    I'm not officially vegan (or even officially vegetarian, for that matter), but about 95% of my diet is vegan. Ever since I was in college, I've been drawn to cooking, and I realized I am one of those lucky few who naturally love vegetables and legumes. I get most of my protein from beans, tofu, seeds, and nuts. I do use eggs sometimes, and every now and then something dairy. I use butter for sauteing mushrooms, for example, or use yogurt when I make breads. If I'm traveling in a place by the sea, I'll have seafood!

I don't think it helps me lose weight - in fact, my calorie intake is about the same, if not more, than most people. But, I do think it helps me stay the same weight, and also feel healthy. In the last few years I have had this lifestyle, my skin has cleared up immensely too - maybe that's just age, but I tell myself it's the food.

I don't take supplements, even for B12, since I think I probably get enough from the eggs/rare dairy. I do have fortified OJ with calcium and vitamin D. The one thing I should probably pay more attention to is calcium. I have a lot of greens, sesame seeds/poppy seeds, and other things with hints of calcium, but aside from the fortified OJ, I don't have anything with 30%+ in one sitting.

I always was curious to see other cultures' food though -- in Japan, I think it's rare to have a glass of milk or cheese, but I'm not sure if the population has more osteoporosis than dairy-heavy cultures?

If you're looking to lose weight, the formula is always the same: more activity, less calories, nothing to excess (including the activity level and restriction of calories!). In the summer, I'm a lower weight since I love walking. I suppose I could treadmill in the winter, but I find it terribly dull. If you're more motivated than me, however, that's a good way to start, especially if you can be near a TV, or use an ipod or read a magazine or something to pass the time. Do you like to ice skate? Calorie burner! Weight bearing exercises are fantastic too, even if you're not lifting anything. I started anusara yoga in September, and my arms are no Madonna (thank goodness) but they are stronger than they ever were and that's just from supporting myself with no additional weights. It's motivating too to have a class with other people - It is $12 a class where I live (which is cheap compared to big cities), so it adds up, but I go once a week and love it.

By switching to less meat and more veggies, you may naturally lower your calorie intake. A huge bowl of spinach greens has something like 40 or 50 calories. But, I'm with the majority of opinion here that switching to vegan quickly may be a bit drastic and if you aren't a veggie/legume lover, it will be even harder.

I think it's a myth that vegan is more expensive though -- I pass the meat and cheese aisles in the supermarket, and meat is expensive! I can get beans, rice, pasta, and seasonal vegetables for far more reasonable prices than meat.

A nutritionist suggested soda? Sometimes I wonder how people end up in certain jobs...but if Sandra Lee can have a cooking show, a nutritionist can suggest soda I suppose.
    Last edited by ribbon; 12-20-2010 at 02:33 PM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Sure, but they have plenty of people around them to make sure they're doing the right thing. They can devote the time (and money) to learn all about it. After all, their livelihood depends on their bodies.
    I don't buy this. Eating is a central part of our health and well-being, something we do several times every day. What is more important that people can't place some priority on their own health, let alone that of their families?

An athlete's livelihood might depend on their bodies, but our lives depend on ours.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    She recommended that I switch from drinking fruit juice (real juice) to drinking diet pop.
    Seriously? This to me is another lesson in the importance of taking responsibility for our own health. Too many people (not speaking of you) rely on their doctors and others to know everything and to "take care" of them. I worked with a bunch of doctors not long ago who made the point that they are there to advise and assist and make you better when things go wrong, but they are not there to keep you healthy. That's your job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    Maybe this isn't the place to ask but seems semi-on-topic, but does anyone know of any good iron supplements that are vegetarian? My doctors keep recommending non-vegetarian options (e.g., Palafer). The regular drug store pills do bad things to my digestive system.
    Is Floradix available where you are? There are both vegetarian and vegan supplements, and I buy them at my local heath store. I'm taking the capsules at the moment but previously have taken the liquid supplement, which is very easily digested and easier on the stomach than traditional supplements.

vCash
    I dilute real fruit juice with sparkling water or plain water. Generally, 3 parts water and 1 part juice--I think most people do half and half, though. It tastes less sweet that way and I consume less calories. If you don't want to give up juice, try that.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I dilute real fruit juice with sparkling water or plain water. Generally, 3 parts water and 1 part juice--I think most people do half and half, though. It tastes less sweet that way and I consume less calories. If you don't want to give up juice, try that.
    I do that too - I find it also helps with the acidity of many juices, which can be rough on the system for some.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    One other caution. If someone is on anticoagulants or has other coagulation issues, an on again/off again approach may cause problems. Spikes in Vitamin K will change clot times and make it very difficult to control into a desired range. My hubby's doctor advises his vegetarian/vegan patients to be careful to be consistent with foods that are heavy in Vitamin K - either eat them every day or avoid them completely. That way, the PT tests will be more accurate.
    That's argued about though between doctor's and the tendency is that it's not accurate anymore and that you can't "poison" your body with food because the amounts you eat are so low in concentration that they don't really matter as far as coagulation is concerned.
    (I had a thrombosis three years ago and since we're eating vegetarian a lot we asked about that a lot. After all, it's not like you're eating the vegetables containing Vitamin K (which are about all of those which are green) in excessive amounts)

Anyway, as far as a diet is concerned, all diets have a yo-yo effect, no matter the kind of diet. Eating balanced, reduce meat and especially eat "real" food should be much more effective than a diet.
    You should look if you can find the sugar amount in what you're eating and drinking. There's so many hidden sugars... The list is endless and very surprising.
    If I wanted to lose weight, I'd change what I eat, would look into what I'm eating,and make it permanent instead of a time restricted diet.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i never liked mayonnaise but i find myself using veganaise all the time
    I never liked "real" egg nog (I always found it quite gag-inducing the way it coated my throat) ... but soy nog is delish! All the flavour without the fat, and without the, you know, gagging.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123