Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Abbott is the front runner. That's just the fact.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Everyone here knows I'm no MK fan, but I'll defend her to say she never said such a thing--ever!

As for Jeremy, he IS the frontrunner. Since he knows it, I hope he can deliver.
    Did I say she said ANYTHING?

I just read what I wrote... Perhaps you should LOL!

What I said was that most American skaters tend to toe the FSU "be humble" line... and then are intimidated. Ms Kwan, just by virture of her resume, intimidated the HECK out of a lot of skaters. You would go to Nationals practice and realize that the other skaters were just "watching" LOL! Gave her a distinct edge. She never had to say anything, but I don't think she showed up going "well I don't deserve to be here" LOL! She knew she was good enough and she expected to win in most cases... sometimes it's self fufilling!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    I like them all, but hope it will be:

1. Mroz
    2. Abbott
    3. Rippon
    You've got them listed backwards.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    You've got them listed backwards.
    From your lips to the skategods' ears..

Carolla, this may have been the line that was disconcerting..

(Ms Kwan milked that one for years IMHO.)

vCash
    I think she did "milk" it.. Maybe not intentionally but if you can "intimidate" just by showing up it's an advantage. She didn't do anything to cause it, but she got the "benefit". (Not that she didn't deserve it, she had a VERY impressive resume which she earned!)

vCash
    I just love Jeremy´s skating and hope he can take it and grab a medal at worlds!!!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I think she did "milk" it.. Maybe not intentionally but if you can "intimidate" just by showing up it's an advantage. She didn't do anything to cause it, but she got the "benefit". (Not that she didn't deserve it, she had a VERY impressive resume which she earned!)
    Two words that show just how important the perception of domination is in a sport.

Tiger Woods.

vCash
    Are you familiar with what the term "milk it" actually means? Sounds like that is not what you really mean.

I don't really think she got any type of benefit from other ladies being intimidated by her. The ones that were intimidated by her probably would not beat her on their best day vs her skating Bolero. Her main competitors thoughtout her career were Tara, Irina, Maria, Sarah and Sasha. I don't think she ever intimidated any of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    Are you familiar with what the term "milk it" actually means? Sounds like that is not what you really mean.

I don't really think she got any type of benefit from other ladies being intimidated by her. The ones that were intimidated by her probably would not beat her on their best day vs her skating Bolero. Her main competitors thoughtout her career were Tara, Irina, Maria, Sarah and Sasha. I don't think she ever intimidated any of them.
    Maria said something once that made me think she was intimidated by MK...the others no.

vCash
    Only in figure skating do the fans all think "the skaters should say 'I am not worthy' and 'I don't deserve to win'" I am sure that's how Eli and/or Peyton Manning prepare for thier games. I am sure it's how LeBron and his posse prepare....

UH NO! Athletes show up to WIN and the good ones know it. Nothing wrong with that!

I think a lot of our skaters believe the "i am not worthy" line that's FSU says they should toe.. and it shows. If you go into an event going "well XYZ is SO much better then me" then it tends to be self-fufilling. (Ms Kwan milked that one for years IMHO. I love her skating, but she tended to 'intimidate' the new kids in her group just by being there resulting in some "sub par" skates. Some skaters were able to rise above it, but those were the same ones that got "trashed" for "confidence.. see Tara)
    Here's your entire post. The sentence right before the "milked it" line was "If you go into an event going "well XYZ is SO much better then me" then it tends to be self-fufilling." I think we all know you meant it to be derogatory. Backpedaling didn't help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Maria said something once that made me think she was intimidated by MK...the others no.
    I remember in an interview sometime in 98 she said, "I want to be world champion, but Michelle Kwan: Big problem for me!"

vCash
    My prediction:
    1. Abbott
    2. Rippon
    3. Dornbush

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Here's your entire post. The sentence right before the "milked it" line was "If you go into an event going "well XYZ is SO much better then me" then it tends to be self-fufilling." I think we all know you meant it to be derogatory. Backpedaling didn't help.
    I think I get it!
    Carolla is saying that she milked the fact that others were intimidated by her - not the other way around as I originally understood it.

However, either way I don't think I agree. Michelle Kwan skated as though she were the best and she usually was. If this intimidated others - that is just the fallout. I don't see anything I would call milking going on.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I think I get it!
    Carolla is saying that she milked the fact that others were intimidated by her - not the other way around as I originally understood it.

However, either way I don't think I agree. Michelle Kwan skated as though she were the best and she usually was. If this intimidated others - that is just the fallout. I don't see anything I would call milking going on.
    MK milked nothing....Carolla misused the word or was totally off base in her perception of MK..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    MK milked nothing....Carolla misused the word or was totally off base in her perception of MK..
    Agreed. If we want to talk about purposefully trying to be intimidating...another skater comes to mind.

vCash
    I agree that Jeremy is the frontrunner, though not by a smile. Anyway, I hope he doesn't put undue pressure on himself. I don't want a repeat of what happened with Ashley Wagner last year (saying she had the edge going into Nationals and then not making the Olympic team).

ETA: Oops, that should be "mile," not "smile"!
    Last edited by Cheylana; 12-21-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I think the actual quote is "I really feel that I am the frontrunner..." which in my mind is a bit less definitive than "I am the frontrunner."

I don't know him, but Mr. Abbott seems like a very humble and gracious young man. He of all people seems to know that ice is slippery, and frontrunner does not necessarily mean winner.

I wish him a wonderful and productive US Nationals. Hopefully, I can be in the audience to cheer him on.

vCash
    Carolla may have used an unfortunate turn of phrase, but Michelle did dominate practices at U.S. Nationals just by her presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolla
    You would go to Nationals practice and realize that the other skaters were just "watching" LOL!
    For sure, Michelle was not watching the other skaters. Her mien was, "I'm Michelle Kwan; you're not." Michelle's practices were performances, for the judges and for whatever audience, press, etc. showed up.

Whether this "intimidated" any one, or just made them try all the harder, I don't know.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Carolla may have used an unfortunate turn of phrase, but Michelle did dominate practices at U.S. Nationals just by her presence.

For sure, Michelle was not watching the other skaters. Her mien was, "I'm Michelle Kwan; you're not." Michelle's practices were performances, for the judges and for whatever audience, press, etc. showed up.

Whether this "intimidated" any one, or just made them try all the harder, I don't know.
    Well, that 7 triple run through at 8 AM the first day of the ladies practice in DC was quite a performance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    I like this kind of confidence and control, but he can't say this and then step onto the ice looking scared crapless and about to throw-up. He needs to followup these statements by showing a command, presence, and confidence on the ice.
    Maybe the idea that he has already won the title more than once, and is an all-around better skater than anyone else competing, will give him the confidence he needs to win. That said, I agree with what others have said, that he seems to lack confidence sometimes. He didn't do so well on the international level this year, that might shake his confidence.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast