Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    I like this kind of confidence and control, but he can't say this and then step onto the ice looking scared crapless and about to throw-up. He needs to followup these statements by showing a command, presence, and confidence on the ice.

Spoiler

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    When I saw Jeremy this past fall he did not look scared, act scared or skate scared. I hope he brings it at US Nationals. Quietly.

But then, I hope they all bring it when it really counts.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post

Spoiler

vCash
    It sounds a little bit cocky but if it helps give him confidence then that's probably a good thing.

I still hope Rippon wins though...I want Jeremy to save his best for Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    I like this kind of confidence and control, but he can't say this and then step onto the ice looking scared crapless and about to throw-up. He needs to followup these statements by showing a command, presence, and confidence on the ice.
    I have seen skaters look nervous but to this day I don't think I have ever seen a skater look green, pale, and ready to puke the way Jeremey did at the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I don't think it's a braggy statement. Based on the fact he's a two time champion and has the most experience coming in, I think he is the frontrunner.
    Yes, he's the front-runner. But what good does it ever do to proclaim oneself the front-runner? At best, it creates expectations, and at worst, it comes across as immodest. Why not let others declare who the front-runner is? Besides, when you're actually in the mix, it can be hard to see things objectively as well. Although I was never really a fan of her skating, I thought Kristi Yamaguchi handled such matters very well. I don't believe she ever declared herself the front-runner. Of course, she would never count herself out or anything, but, at least publicly, she always came across as modest and level-headed. She never created expectations that might get the better of her.

vCash
    My podium prediction is Abbott, Rippon, Mroz, Mahbanoozadeh. I don't expect a huge margin of victory, though.

vCash
    I'd rather see Mahbanoozadeh over Mroz. He was fabulous at Skate America and near-fabulous at Nebelhorn. Mroz was not fabulous at either of his events.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I think it will be:

1. Abbott
    2. Rippon
    3. Mroz/Mahbanoozadeh/Dornbush

The top 2, if they skate to their potential, are easy to predict, but that third spot on the world team is hard to predict. All three of the above men have proven to be contenders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Yes, he's the front-runner. But what good does it ever do to proclaim oneself the front-runner?
    It's not like he got up one morning and said "I'm going to call a reporter and proclaim myself the front runner!"

It was a causal interview and he said something off the cuff that isn't really untrue or unreasonable.

This is just another case of a misleading and sensationalized title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I think a lot of our skaters believe the "i am not worthy" line that's FSU says they should toe.. and it shows. If you go into an event going "well XYZ is SO much better then me" then it tends to be self-fufilling. (Ms Kwan milked that one for years IMHO.)
    Everyone here knows I'm no MK fan, but I'll defend her to say she never said such a thing--ever!

As for Jeremy, he IS the frontrunner. Since he knows it, I hope he can deliver.

vCash
    He is absolutely the leading man, but probably also needs to skate very very respectably to hold off Rippon and Mroz for the title.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Uh oh, I hope the SkateGods don't smack him down for that one...
    I thought the same-but on the other hand confidence is key.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    The title doesn't come off "cocky" in the least little bit. It's a fact that he's the frontrunner at the moment and I sincerely hope he can skate like it. Jeremy knows he can't take his competitors for granted; he knows their accomplishments and how they are capable of skating too. This interview was shot before Armin's impressive showing at Skate America, but Jeremy mentions Adam, Brandon, and Ryan as good competition and "amazing talent": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQV8il9WZQA

Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post

Spoiler

I really like the way you think!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 12-17-2010 at 09:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    If it makes him feel better. Whatever.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Only in figure skating do the fans all think "the skaters should say 'I am not worthy' and 'I don't deserve to win'" I am sure that's how Eli and/or Peyton Manning prepare for thier games. I am sure it's how LeBron and his posse prepare....

UH NO! Athletes show up to WIN and the good ones know it. Nothing wrong with that!

I think a lot of our skaters believe the "i am not worthy" line that's FSU says they should toe.. and it shows. If you go into an event going "well XYZ is SO much better then me" then it tends to be self-fufilling. (Ms Kwan milked that one for years IMHO. I love her skating, but she tended to 'intimidate' the new kids in her group just by being there resulting in some "sub par" skates. Some skaters were able to rise above it, but those were the same ones that got "trashed" for "confidence.. see Tara)
    Jeremy is the front-runner, no doubt.

And thanks for the Kwan mention..

"Kwan, but not forgotten.."

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    The movie of Patricia Nell Warren's book is finally going to be made?

Who is playing his coach/lover Harlan Brown - Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Matt Damon?

Is it being transferred to the skating world from track?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Front_Runner

(FYI, this post shows just how old I am to remember this book in connection with the thread title.)
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I think it will be:

1. Abbott
    2. Rippon
    3. Mroz/Mahbanoozadeh/Dornbush
    I like them all, but hope it will be:

1. Mroz
    2. Abbott
    3. Rippon

vCash
    If he is confident, then I am probably more nervous than him !
    Go Jeremy !

vCash
    In a close comp. between Mroz, Mahbanoozadeh, and Dornbush, it will most likely go to Mroz - he's got the most experience and already has a top 10 worlds finish. Plus, he's landing the Quad. The USFSA, Nats. judges probably want to give a chance to a US man with a Quad.

They may also look at Mroz as the most consistent of a trio to include Abbott, Rippon, Mroz and able to pull out a good skate in case Abbott or Rippon bomb, thereby possibly saving the US a spot at Worlds

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast