Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Santa Claus

vCash
    I was the oldest child in my family, so I believed in Santa until I was 8 or 9. I remember finding out the truth one Sunday when my mother sent me to call Dad to dinner. I opened the door to the basement, and there he was in his workshop, putting the finishing touches on the doll beds that my sisters and I had asked Santa to bring. It was quite a significant shock, because I don't remember having any doubts/questions before that ... I also realized at that moment that the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy were also Mom and Dad.

I didn't say anything to my sisters and brother, but someone told my youngest sister when she was in kindergarten and she told my baby brother when he was only 4. Her own children had questions at an fairly early age (my nephew was in a car pool with kids several years older than him). When they asked, she never was completely sure whether they were really wanting "the truth" so she would ask them, "What do you think?" and then respond to their answers. She was sure that my nephew no longer believed Santa was real when he was 7 -- until one evening just before Christmas when he looked at her and said that he heard something on the roof, and "maybe it was reindeer." My niece never would go up to a store Santa, unlike my nephew, but I remember one Christmas Eve when she laid out a large yarn "snare" in front of the fireplace in the hopes of "trapping" Santa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    Aceon6- Oh no he believes in him still. I was about the same age as him when I found out though. Not to say he doesn't have questions about how a man can get all around the world in one night to give presents to kids lol...
    My younger sister pretended she still believed for two years after she had found out, because she thought it would somehow hurt my parents' feelings if she didn't. I'm not saying this is your son's case, but it is a possibility.

vCash
    I don't think my kids ever believed that Santa was a real person. We always said he was "Magic". That carried them through to when they were old enough to understand the abstract concepts of generosity and goodwill.

They still got presents from Santa. He was Magic, after all! Even today, everyone in the family still gets a stocking from Santa, no matter how old they are.

I was surprised to learn that my 6 & 7 yr old grandsons seem to believe in Santa as a real person. I didn't pursue the idea with them, not wanting to mess up whatever their parents have told them. The kids concern had to do with the fact that their parents had separated during the year, and Santa needed to know where to bring their gifts. Apparently my daughter had gone through some big explanation about writing a letter to Santa to explain it all. Well, I guess they had had a rough year already, no point to telling them that there was no such thing as Santa, too.

All that aside, I think 10 years old is a really good age to learn about the concept behind gift giving, etc. They are really open to the world at that age and love to understand how they can play a part in the society around them. That includes donations to charities and helping with the festive events. They can exhibit the spirit of Christmas themselves, and be one of Santa's helpers.

vCash
    Well I have to say if he knows that makes things much easier lol
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't remember ever asking my parents or anything. This might be a really fun conversation to have on Christmas day as we eat our dinner! I just know I heard rumblings at school from classmates and that got me thinking about it. I don't ever remember catching my parents putting presents under the tree or anything, though. I guess I just believed what I heard at school because I am the biggest cynic I know!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't remember ever asking my parents or anything. This might be a really fun conversation to have on Christmas day as we eat our dinner! I just know I heard rumblings at school from classmates and that got me thinking about it. I don't ever remember catching my parents putting presents under the tree or anything, though. I guess I just believed what I heard at school because I am the biggest cynic I know!
    Your post reminded me of a family tradition. Santa doesn't wrap. As explained by my s-i-l to her kids when they believed... "How the heck would the big guy have time to put wrap and decorations on the bazillion presents he leaves?" Needless to say, Santa doesn't wrap saves a lot of time in our family.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    I learned the truth from the newspaper when I was 7 year old. I used to do part of my brother's paper route (back when kids delivered newspapers - I don't see it anymore). I was really slow because I would read the paper as I delivered what amounted to maybe a dozen homes in the immedate vicinity of my house. (I feel bad now about the last person on the route because the newspaper was always disheveled from my reading it).

Anyway I read a Dear Abby column from a reader asking this very same question. I have 4 older siblings, so I confronted them about it and they confirmed it. Strangely, I didn't feel all that upset by it. I was more excited that I knew something that my little sister didn't know. And I enjoyed keeping the illusion up for her benefit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Your post reminded me of a family tradition. Santa doesn't wrap. As explained by my s-i-l to her kids when they believed... "How the heck would the big guy have time to put wrap and decorations on the bazillion presents he leaves?" Needless to say, Santa doesn't wrap saves a lot of time in our family.
    Santa didn't wrap in my house either -- which made things just a bit easier for my parents, because iirc from my youngest years, Santa also brought the tree! I have no idea how my parents managed to put up and decorate the tree in addition to getting the presents under it in the proper "piles" for each child, but I do remember it being absolutely magical to come into the living room on Christmas morning and find it so transformed. to them for doing all that. Of course, when I was a bit older, I remember that tradition was no more, so perhaps it was more a function of my father's traveling a lot and being a major procrastinator.

vCash
    I was about 7. Santa made his big appearance on Christmas Eve at our house, when everyone unwraps gifts. Several relatives were in attendance watching Santa taking the gifts out of his large bag. My 2-year-old brother suddenly asked "Where's Dad?". Santa responded, "uhhhh, I think your father is in the bathroom ". I sat there and realized "Ohhh, that's how that works ." Don't know when my brother figured it out.

My 6-year-old niece and nephew started to wonder last year about the logistics of Santa going around the world in one day, in and out of millions of chimneys. "I mean, it takes us 5 hours to drive to Grandma and Grandpa's house!", one of them noticed. But, they still stay home for Christmas. Otherwise, Santa wouldn't know where to drop off the gifts if they stayed with relatives for Christmas.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I don't remember when I figured it out.. so it couldn't have been overly traumatic lol. I had a younger brother though and had to keep up the charade for him. We still get stockings at Christmas and up until a few years ago got presents from him as well. It's a fun tradition that makes Christmas that much more special I think. Who doesn't want to believe in magic?

vCash
    I didn't have Santa, I have "baby" Jesus, so when my schoolmates started telling everybody that Santa Klaus didn't exist, I was like "oh! of course, it's baby Jesus who comes with little angels..." But I'm the older child, so also when I discovered the truth, I kept the secret for my younger brothers another couple of years: it felt like being grown up to share this secret with my parents!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12