Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by softlip View Post
    FSU seems to provide unlimited wisdom backed-up by facts, so I have a (maybe stupid question): Is it harmful to rinse your face (or generally skin) with distilled water?

I know that we were told in chemistry class that we must not drink it, but I remembered that I was always impressed how clean the test tubes looked after rinsing them with distilled water. Yesterday I actually recalled why we shouldn't drink it: Basically it deprives the body of minerals.
    So does distilled water has the same effect on the skin surface? If so, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

The background is: I recently moved to Tokyo and my skin went kind of downhill which is unusual, because during my previous stays it always became better. The difference is that this time I'm living in an large apartment complex in the middle of the city. I thought that maybe the water quality here is not the best.
    Then I discovered, that destilled water has raving reviews at @cosme (a Japanese website similar to Make-up Ally.) I started using it about three weeks ago and am now at my second bottle. I keep the bottle in the fridge. I just pour the water all over my face after taking a shower or when I only wash my face I soak a cotton pad and wipe of the tab water. No changes to my skin which can't have any other reason (food, recovering from flu etc.)
    But I noticed that my skin immediately after rinsing is brighter/whiter. And the application of my usual cream feels different in a hard-to-describe way. It dosen't get sucked in instantly but smears for a moment before it suddenly disappears into the skin.
    Distilled water doesn't have all the minerals in regular tap water that dries to a hard crust in our lab glassware. That's pretty much it. I wouldn't have any qualms about putting it on my face, but as a rule I don't drink anything from a lab.

If the tap water is very mineralized, I can see how putting it on your skin could be bad for it. It's amazing how much crust ends up in our glassware if we don't rinse it out with deionized water!

vCash
    Thanks for the fast answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I did a quick google search, and while tap water doesn't necessarily harm the skin, distilled water can be healthier. From what I read, one of the benefits of using a toner as part of your skin care regimen is to remove the pollutants that are in regular tap water.

Overall, the concensus was that if you don't mind the extra $$ or additional step of acquiring distilled water, go for it.

Do you have a water filter on your spigot (like one of those Pur things)? If you do, that should suffice perfectly.
    Removing pollutants was my reasoning behind it, too. I'm only afraid now that it may also remove beneficial minerals from my skin as well, if such a thing exists.

Since the $$ of distilled water is more like 1$ and thus about the same price of a small (overpriced) bottle of mineral water, I may do the experiment and rinse with mineral water for a while (Aren't there luxury spas that offer some "Bathing in Evian-Water-Treatments"?) Anyway, it'll be easier because i can drink it up before it goes bad.

Or I just try the water out of our Birta pitcher, but I don't know what my long-suffering SO will say when he eventually catches me pouring a glass of water on my own face

Anyway, thanks for providing me with some new ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Vitamin C is an acid, aka ascorbic acid so it will sting in sufficient concentration and some people may be sensitive to it.
    Yeah, that's one reason I choose that Avalon serum. I thought that Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate may be less harsh, but it's the same since it becomes ascorbic acid eventually on the skin.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Have I been out of the loop way too long, or did Laura Ashley recently stop making their fragrances?

I used to wear Laura Ashley #2 and was interested in getting another bottle of it, but their website doesn't have fragrances (other than "home" fragrances) listed anywhere on it.

Also, I'm in a zillioon depressions because I finally found a store in Atlanta that carries Chanel No.19, which I adore, but at $90.00 a bottle, it's wayyyy out of my budget allowance.

Even more tempting (and worse), they have a fabulous set if parfum miniatures (I collect minis of parfums), but the set is an outrageous $110.00.

:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by softlip View Post
    Thanks for the fast answer!

Removing pollutants was my reasoning behind it, too. I'm only afraid now that it may also remove beneficial minerals from my skin as well, if such a thing exists.

Since the $$ of distilled water is more like 1$ and thus about the same price of a small (overpriced) bottle of mineral water, I may do the experiment and rinse with mineral water for a while (Aren't there luxury spas that offer some "Bathing in Evian-Water-Treatments"?) Anyway, it'll be easier because i can drink it up before it goes bad..
    While distilled water may remove some of the minerals beneficial to the skin, the products you use will most likely replenish them.

You might want to try this product from Lancôme:

Tonique Douceur

Here's the description from the website:

Soothing and cooling, this alcohol-free, pH balanced freshener gently tones and refines skin without drying or depleting natural oils. Formulated with skin-softening distilled flower-water, this ultra-refreshing formula gives skin a cool, hydrated feeling.

Leaves skin perfectly clean, soft and supple. Skin feels smooth, completely comfortable and refreshed.
    When I was in my teens/early 20s (before I had to start worrying 24/7 about aging and wrinkles), I used this all the time. Like the description says, it's extremely refreshing, especially after cleansing the face. Depending on your cleansing regimen, it might not work (it's not something you would use in place of soap/cleanser and water), but if you use an all-over makeup remover (something like Lancome's Huile Douceur) to apply afterwards.

It comes in a regular bottle requiring a cotton ball or pad to apply, but I used to put it in a spritzer and spray my face/neck/décolleté - it's especially wonderful to use in hot weather as it has a wonderful cooling effect (plus it smells wonderful ).

vCash
    The Olay Regenerist mention reminds me of their fantastic eye makeup remover that I no longer can find. $*(#&@# The website still has it, so I assume it's just a weird fluke that I can't find it in stores. In the meantime, Marcelle's remover isn't too bad. Better than the Caudalie cleansing water I was using.

My mom has benefitted greatly from secrets shared on here, including Genefique. She and dad retired, so she's not keen to spend money on it (though she really likes it, and still splurges for a few other Lancome products when she can). She's used Olay a lot over the years, so I'll have to let her know about the good reviews for Pro-X. She's currently using an Avon product that's not bad.

Speaking of Avon, I switched to Clinique's All About Eyes from Avon's 30+ line (I round up because I was a smoker), and I have to say I'm not all that impressed, even if it feels nice on. I wasn't especially enamoured with Avon's skincare line that I've tried, other than the eye cream. I found myself quickly going back to Vichy. And can I just sing the praises of Vichy's Aqualia Thermal Light cream? Really, anything by Vichy is A-1 with me. I'm going to try their Antiox cream next.

vCash
    Ooh, just got a coupon for 20% off at Ulta, including "prestige" makeup and skincare! Usually they're excluded from all coupons. I've been eyeing a D+G perfume, hmmmm.

I'm so excited to go to Ontario tomorrow! My parents brought me a bottle of Bioderma Sensibio makeup remover from France in October, and I've gone through about 80% of it already. It's amazing. No U.S. stores carry it, and it's a PITA to order online. But ... Shoppers Drugmart has it! And I've got the last bottle on hold.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i used to use the regenerist makeup remover too! now i use jojoba oil
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    My SIL gave me a $50 dollar gift certificate for Sephora yesterday for Christmas.

Let the shopping begin. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've been using Purity by philosophy and just love it. It takes everything off, eye make up too in one move and doesn't dry skin out. And since it's something I rinse off, I am not that concerned with some of the crap (parabens) that are in it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post

I'm so excited to go to Ontario tomorrow! My parents brought me a bottle of Bioderma Sensibio makeup remover from France in October, and I've gone through about 80% of it already. It's amazing. No U.S. stores carry it, and it's a PITA to order online. But ... Shoppers Drugmart has it! And I've got the last bottle on hold.

I've been using Sensibio for about a year. It is amazing.

Just a hint. I've never seen the larger bottle (500ml) at any of the 5 Shopper's in my area, including the ones with a Beauty Boutique. All they seem to carry is the 250ml for $22.00.

If you get a chance, check out a Rexall drug store. That's the only place I've been able to find the 500ml. bottle. At least in my city. It sells for $30.00. A much better deal.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I just used my Makeup Forever Aqua Cream shadow for the first time...I got the silver shade. It's divine!

vCash
    Does anyone know if the website agelessshop.com is a reputable site for buying skin care products?

I'm down to my last tube of Modèle Collagen Lip Treatment, and they have it for $20.99 (it's a 30% off deal for orders over $50.00) rather than the $30.00 it costs to order from Amazon or the Modèle website.

For some ungodly reason, Modéle's products are no longer available in the the US, which sucks as their lip treatments are and work better than any high-end lip treatment I've found. I cleaned out every Rite-Aid in a 40 mile radius when they were put on clearance, and now they're unavailable anywhere - I've found them on eBay selling for $45.00 a tube .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    I just used my Makeup Forever Aqua Cream shadow for the first time...I got the silver shade. It's divine!
    I LURVE mine too. I plan to buy another one next time I am at Sephora...plus a blush too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    If you get a chance, check out a Rexall drug store. That's the only place I've been able to find the 500ml. bottle. At least in my city. It sells for $30.00. A much better deal.
    Thanks for the tip! I called a couple Rexalls in the Burlington area and they didn't have the 500ml, so I had to get the 250ml. :\ Next time!

ps, holy crap is the Shoppers Drugmart beauty section awesome I was dying to look over Gosh and Lise Watier but I was with a friend and didn't have time.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    ps, holy crap is the Shoppers Drugmart beauty section awesome
    It really is, isn't it? I try to avoid it unless I really need something because I know I'll spend a fortune!
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    I get mad at Shopper's because most things I can get at Loblaws or elsewhere cheaper, I'm so used to what they all have, and because the one in my neighbourhood has so little. But it's a really a nice place. Nothing on Ulta, still, but it's okay.

Now I'm on the hunt for this Bioderma Sensibo. I hope Pharmaplus (of the Rexall chain) has it.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    I get mad at Shopper's because most things I can get at Loblaws or elsewhere cheaper, I'm so used to what they all have, and because the one in my neighbourhood has so little. But it's a really a nice place. Nothing on Ulta, still, but it's okay.
    Shoppers is the only place in town I can get the Dior mascara I like...except for Sears, and I refuse to shop there for all kinds of reasons. They have also been carrying some Smashbox products lately too!
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Now I'm on the hunt for this Bioderma Sensibo. I hope Pharmaplus (of the Rexall chain) has it.
    It's expensive, but you won't be sorry. It's the only makeup remover where I didn't feel like I had to wash my face afterward, and really gets everything off without scrubbing. It doesn't do the best job with waterproof mascara, though - I usually go over my lashes with a q-tip dipped in oil, then wipe with a cotton pad that has Sensibio. SDM had other Bioderma products, which I'm dying to try.

MAC Cleanse Off Oil is still my favorite remover and the most effective ever, but it requires water to rinse off, followed up by washing my face - really the last thing I want to do when I'm tired and it's freezing cold.

vCash
    ps, holy crap is the Shoppers Drugmart beauty section awesome I was dying to look over Gosh and Lise Watier but I was with a friend and didn't have time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    It really is, isn't it? I try to avoid it unless I really need something because I know I'll spend a fortune!
    There's one near my work. The employees know me there now...

vCash
    Anyone else tempted by Sephora's Hello Kitty Makeup Secret Sale?

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast