gold dust woman
    vCash

Glamour Puss 3: Don't Hate Us Because We're Beautiful

Carry on...

vCash
    'cuz we don't like you either!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    love the title though i dont feel so pretty from this burn from "hope in a jar"
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    love the title though i dont feel so pretty from this burn from "hope in a jar"
    Ugh I hate Hope in a Jar, the smell is nasty!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Ugh I hate Hope in a Jar, the smell is nasty!
    I thought I was the only one who thought it smelled weird! Everyone I know raves about Philosophy. My sister uses their cleanser and it's the only thing that doesn't strip her skin now that she's on Accutane.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Coty just bought Philosophy
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I found an interesting article on skin creams and their effectiveness on WebMD that details the chemicals in several of them and how they work:

Hope In A Jar: Do Skin Creams Work?

I've never tried HIAJ as Lancome's anti-aging serums and moisturizers (Génifique and High Resolution 3X) work really well with my skin type, but the article was quite informative.

I've also come up with a skincare regimen for cleansing and exfoliating that seems to work really well (and isn't overly expensive) before applying serums and moisturizers:

1. I use my regular cleanser (Skin Genesis by L'Oreal - $5.99 USD)

2. Every other night, I use the Neutrogena Wave (the vibrating thing with disposable pads - $9.99; CVS has their own brand which costs a bit less) as an exfoliator. I rinse the pad of the Neutrogena cleanser, and apply a nickel-sized dollop of Clinique's 7-day facial scrub ($18.00 for 3.4 ounces, which lasts about 3 months) and use that on my face and neck, then rinse with warm water.

3. Using a cotton ball, I apply a coat of Derma36's Glycolic Acid Skin Resurfacing Solution ($15.00 for 4 ounces) on my face and neck and let it sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse with warm water.

From then, I do the rest of my usual nighttime routine (toner, Génifique, eye and facial serums, and eye and facial moisturizers).

After two weeks, the difference was really noticeable - my skin has a healthier glow, and the addition of the glycolic acid used in conjunction with the Génifique and the serums boosted the reduction of fine lines around my eyes and forehead. I've also noticed that my pores are a LOT smaller than they used to be.

I can't remember where I read it, but there was an article about a lot of the new anti-aging products that have come on the market in the past year or so, and Olay's Pro-X (not to be confused with their Regenerist line) is getting rave reviews. The way it works is similar to that of Lancome's Génifique product line, and while the Olay Pro-X is pricier than a lot of non-department store skincare lines, it's definitely less expensive than Lancome, Lauder, Clinique, etc. I think you can also get a coupon at Olay's website for several dollars off on the Pro-X products, which definitely helps. The starter kit (containing a smaller amount of each of the products in that line) for the Olay Pro-X is around $60.00, but I have no idea how much the regular size of each of those cost.

For mascara lovers, Lancome's new mascara, Hypnose Drama, is A-MA-ZING. Their most recent gift with purchase contained a larger than normal sample tube of it, and I absolutely LOVE it

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    where does this derma36 stuff come from?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    where does this derma36 stuff come from?
    I found it at CVS, though I'm sure several stores carry it. I thought the brand name of it was Derma 36, but it's part of C. Booth's product line.

If you can't find it at CVS, Ulta, etc., it's available at Amazon

Hope that helps

ETA: I found C. Booth's product line on Amazon here.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am intrigued by this derma36 thing.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Cyn,will have to check into that Lacome mascara,I am a mascara lover.I usually use Maybeline.I love Almay eyeliner too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am intrigued by this derma36 thing.
    I stumbled on it by accident while looking for a glycolic acid peel one of my friends uses. I never found that, but I saw the Derma36 and decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a great find, and one I highly recommend.

If you have really sensitive skin, it can burn if it's left on too long or used too often, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.

Right now I'm on the hunt for a good home micro-dermabrasion kit as there's no way I can afford to have it done at a spa. Lancome has a home set, but it's almost $100, and I already spend too much money on Lancome products . The thing I'm doing with the WAVE and the Clinique exfoliator works great for the "first step," but I need to find a good Vitamin C serum to apply afterwards.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for something like that that won't break the bank?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I stumbled on it by accident while looking for a glycolic acid peel one of my friends uses. I never found that, but I saw the Derma36 and decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a great find, and one I highly recommend.

If you have really sensitive skin, it can burn if it's left on too long or used too often, but so far I haven't had any problems with it.
    Nah, I have the skin of a hippo. Will ask around about the micro-dermabrasion kit.

This is the info found on the Internets: http://www.skinabrasion.net/home-kit.html
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Nah, I have the skin of a hippo. Will ask around about the micro-dermabrasion kit.

This is the info found on the Internets: http://www.skinabrasion.net/home-kit.html
    Thanks for the link Am going to do more detailed research on the products listed in it and see if I can find one that works.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    For mascara lovers, Lancome's new mascara, Hypnose Drama, is A-MA-ZING. Their most recent gift with purchase contained a larger than normal sample tube of it, and I absolutely LOVE it
    I got it with my last Lancome purchase too, and I love it! Speaking of Lancome products, thanks for raving about them, Cyn, the Genefique and mosturizers are fantastic, and my skin is
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    I got it with my last Lancome purchase too, and I love it! Speaking of Lancome products, thanks for raving about them, Cyn, the Genefique and mosturizers are fantastic, and my skin is
    Glad that you liked my recommendation about the Genifique - I'd have been if you'd spent all that $$$ and didn't like it.

It's amazing stuff, non? My skin looks better now at 43 than it did ten years ago. It's a bummer that it's so expensive, but it's worth every penny and then some. I look at it this way - if I spend the money on it, I won't have the money to spend on non-essential food/snacks/candy .

Speaking of Genifique, I'm not sure about all department stores, but right now Belk (a department chain located in the Southeast) has a seven day sample trial pack of Genifique. They used to give customers only one packet, but since it takes 7 days to see results, they got smart and decided to do it in one-week batches so you'll see the difference in how your skin looks. It's not something the sales consultants will advertise, but if you ask about it, they should give it to you if they have it in their sample stock.

For the most part, I cannot stand Lancome's fragrances (they all seem to smell like something my great-grandmother would wear), but they have a new version of Trésor called "Trésor In Love" that's IMO the best parfum they've come out with in years. They're promoting the hell out of it and have tons of VOCs (vial on cards) in stock. Last week when I was shopping (I got MiniCyn a Dual Finish powder foundation as one of her Chanukah presents), my Lancome loaded me up with several of them, along with a bunch of other goodies.

One of the things I collect (I guess that's the right word) are parfum miniatures, and I've been trying to find minis for Estee Lauder's White Linen Fresh Breeze, Lauder's Pleasures (original recipe), and Cacharel's Anais Anais, to no avail. Does anyone know of a reputable website to order perfumes, especially miniatures? I've seen a ton of fragrance websites, but I have no idea if they're legit or if the scents they carry are imitations.

vCash
    FSU seems to provide unlimited wisdom backed-up by facts, so I have a (maybe stupid question): Is it harmful to rinse your face (or generally skin) with distilled water?

I know that we were told in chemistry class that we must not drink it, but I remembered that I was always impressed how clean the test tubes looked after rinsing them with distilled water. Yesterday I actually recalled why we shouldn't drink it: Basically it deprives the body of minerals.
    So does distilled water has the same effect on the skin surface? If so, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

The background is: I recently moved to Tokyo and my skin went kind of downhill which is unusual, because during my previous stays it always became better. The difference is that this time I'm living in an large apartment complex in the middle of the city. I thought that maybe the water quality here is not the best.
    Then I discovered, that destilled water has raving reviews at @cosme (a Japanese website similar to Make-up Ally.) I started using it about three weeks ago and am now at my second bottle. I keep the bottle in the fridge. I just pour the water all over my face after taking a shower or when I only wash my face I soak a cotton pad and wipe of the tab water. No changes to my skin which can't have any other reason (food, recovering from flu etc.)
    But I noticed that my skin immediately after rinsing is brighter/whiter. And the application of my usual cream feels different in a hard-to-describe way. It dosen't get sucked in instantly but smears for a moment before it suddenly disappears into the skin.

vCash
    I did a quick google search, and while tap water doesn't necessarily harm the skin, distilled water can be healthier. From what I read, one of the benefits of using a toner as part of your skin care regimen is to remove the pollutants that are in regular tap water.

Overall, the concensus was that if you don't mind the extra $$ or additional step of acquiring distilled water, go for it.

Do you have a water filter on your spigot (like one of those Pur things)? If you do, that should suffice perfectly.

vCash
    [...] but I need to find a good Vitamin C serum to apply afterwards.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for something like that that won't break the bank?
    Some month ago I was on the same quest and after reading a lot of ingredient lists and reviews I ended up buying the Vitamin C Vitality Facial Serum by Avalon Organics.

It has a really nice texture and I liked applying it, BUT: this one tingled quite a bit (I think a bit of a tingle is not unusual for Vitamin C serums) and the pink patches on my cheek got a lot pinker than I was confortable of. My face felt sensitive as a whole, but the skin expect of my cheekbones looked really good (even, bright and plump). Can't tell about sun spots etc. because I stopped using it after a week.
    The problem is that I think my skin reacts sensitive to Vitamin C products in general. I once had the Bodyshop Vitamin C cream (much smaller Vitamin C concentration) which felt odd too, and I distantly remember a sample of the Helena Rubinstein Vitamin C capsules of past days which I didn't liked either.

I tried to give the serum to my mother (in her 60s, Asian skin) who tried it an her hand and it stung badly. No surprise here, after all I had to get the Vitamin C sensitivity from someone and she has really sensitive skin anyway. Next victim was my MIL (in her 50s, European skin) who applied it to her face and it burned so much that she had to wash it off.

Finally it ended up with me again and I use it now once or twice a week on my neck, décolleté and my hands and there i really like it. The skin gets almost instantly smooth, even and almost radiant.

So, sorry for my long ramblings and maybe it sounds more of a non-recommendation, but I think the serum is worth a try, if you dont't have sensitive skin. It's reasonably priced (IMO), has good ingredients and comes in an air-tight pump bottle. I purchased it in an organic supermarket. I just would make sure to get a sample before committing to it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Vitamin C is an acid, aka ascorbic acid so it will sting in sufficient concentration and some people may be sensitive to it.

from Speedy Death

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast