Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 75 of 75
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,642
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    41192
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    The tight in boot look is fabulous if you are built like Alissa; however, as one who is built more like Rachael Flatt, I agree with my coach that tights over boot gives me a little more length to my body and lines and frankly looks better. Sorry for those who don't like it, but as a skater, I understand why so many wear it.
    I have never. seen. one. person. who looked better with tights over the boot. I am usually so distracted by the ugly deformed look that it's hard to enjoy the program. That's just my take on it. Plus I always wonder if the person is just too lazy to polish their skates.

    (I thought Sasha pulled it off better than most & Sarah's looked the ugliest...and she needed extra leg length less than most people.)

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Her 2007 US Nationals winning free skate, choreographed by David Wilson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KsUNC4cMb8

    Ahhaha... thank you so much for this, I didn't pay much to her career, but I should have known better, nothing in Skating is really that new

    David is clearly smart, linked the 2 together so easily, actually Alissa does remind me of a young Sabrina in her looks, she also has always had a sort of underdog status/vulnerability herself right? The Sabrina performance is very lovely and pretty.

    The upcoming US National is going to be really exciting. I want Mirai to do well, but would Alissa defy the expectations with an actual streak?

    Re: Icellist

    I like Oriental Wind as well. What about the work by other Japanese composers like Kitaro, Ryuchi Sakamoto, Shigeru Umebayashi and Nobuo Uematsu?

    With regards to choreographers, yes I think variety is always good, and no one should have monopoly in art, but I think it depends on the program. I don't know how it usually works in skating, and how much say the skater themselves have in the program of their choosing. I'd much prefer for example, if the skaters themselves have an opinion on how they want to shape their program, and then depends on the program, they goto the choreographer are especially known for it. It is not that much different compares with making film and OST. The original vision/creative brief is important.

    Or they go the other route, like Yuna Kim does, and get to the know a choreographer on a more personal level and be like a muse to each other. They experiment and explore various potentials to see whether something works or not, sort of like a dance. If it doesn't work, change to someone else before it is too late.

    Many program fail to inspire because the program ends up a lot more about the choreographer than the skater (Mao's program last year comes to mind and it seems many of Lori Nichols too). Sabrina program for example fit Alissa perfectly, as David s someone who encourage greater expression based on what the skater has already within themselves and makes these program an extension of these attributes, rather than a 'David Wilson' program.

    He doesn't always get it right mind you, Brian Joubert's FS this year was a bit 'Huh?!'. I can see why he went German Machismo Grandiose rather than French Romantic Lyrical due to Brian's own particular style, but still, I am not sure if it worked because as he was never a particular musical skater, and most of his movements were not in tuned with what the music are trying to convey.
    Last edited by os168; 12-20-2010 at 08:11 AM.

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    430
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Yay!!! somebody who agrees with me that joe hisaishi would be perfect for her. He's the japanese side of mirai that has a beautiful western artistry to it. I would say thru movies laputa, kiki's, and howl's. But some of hisaishi's non-movie works have a strong impression too like fragile dreams (the beginning of mirai's sp last season) maybe oriental wind, hana-bi, or madness.

    and get kawahara! the whole dickson, wilson, and nichol dominating the choreography department is ridiculous. there are recycled moves everywhere and no shining programs anymore. at least choosing kawahara would seem more like an original choice nowadays.

    and this is a post about mirai's program not about the costume. it would make sense if it was about how the costume did not fit the program but it that conversation sort of got out of hand
    The first half of Mirai's SP last year was Joe Hisaishi's "Fragile Dreams", and I thought it was very beautiful.

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    The first half of Mirai's SP last year was Joe Hisaishi's "Fragile Dreams", and I thought it was very beautiful.
    Wow i had no idea... that was the bit i liked lol... Who did that program? Music edit too?
    It was such a pity she performed so early during the Olympics. I was so impressed with her.

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Mirai's programs are a letdown, especially her SP. I don't think this has anything to do with lack of authenticity of the music itself. One of my favorite Lu Chen's programs was "The Last Emperor" which was an essentially a western take on a historical period in Chinese history. The program worked because the arrangement was superb. On the other hand, the arrangements of Mirai's programs are disappointing because they fail to highlight the emotions of the pieces. The abrupt change that occurs in the second half of her SP is also a little bizarre.
    Like Mao, Mirai is another skater whom I desperately hope will go to different choreographers because their present ones are just not making full use of their artistic potentials.
    Last edited by miki88; 12-20-2010 at 12:20 AM.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    (how do i delete double post?)

    Re Miki88

    A little off topic, but Last Emperor was co composed by Ryuchi Sakamoto, and the film was made by one of the greatest Italian film makers of the modern era, and out of all Western take on the east, Italians and French are the most Asian friendly. In any case, yeah I love Lu Chen's program, given China's situation at the time (Nothing is the same after culture revolution - everything is dire, it is either this or go back to really old, like butterfly lovers, or we can go back to folk music, but it is too much risk), it is actually a good choice.
    Last edited by os168; 12-19-2010 at 08:09 PM.

  7. #67

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,551
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41455
    Lori Nichol has choreographed all of Nagasu's programs since her 2007-08 Senior debut season. Lenore Kay is Nichol's music editor -- she is very well-respected in the skating world.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    (how do i delete double post?)

    Re Miki88

    A little off topic, but Last Emperor was co composed by Ryuchi Sakamoto, and the film was made by one of the greatest Italian film makers of the modern era, and out of all Western take on the east, Italians and French are the most Asian friendly. In any case, yeah I love Lu Chen's program, given China's situation at the time (Nothing is the same after culture revolution - everything is dire, it is either this or go back to really old, like butterfly lovers, or we can go back to folk music, but it is too much risk), it is actually a good choice.
    Thanks for the background info. In any case, the movie contained a lot of historical inaccuracies, though I quite liked it. "The Last Emperor" was done by Toller Cranston but Bezic did most of LuLu's later programs. LuLu is a prime example of how the right choreography can transform a skater and take him/her to greater heights. She always had artistic potential but it was after she worked with Bezic that her programs became really exquisite.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    859
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Lori Nichol has choreographed all of Nagasu's programs since her 2007-08 Senior debut season. Lenore Kay is Nichol's music editor -- she is very well-respected in the skating world.
    Thanks for the info Sylvia. I guess it is a case of all greats have hits and misses every now and then, I hope we get a more sparkling Mirai next year - however she get there.

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Lori Nichol has choreographed all of Nagasu's programs since her 2007-08 Senior debut season. Lenore Kay is Nichol's music editor -- she is very well-respected in the skating world.
    Not necessarily in the music world, though...

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,710
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I love William's Sabrina OST, it is just lovely and it would be great when Mirai becomes a lady This music may suit Alissa more right now for, or even Ashley Wagner? But hey you never know 1 year can make all the difference - depends if she decide fall in love...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btMob-eJjNU

    Actually it is a pity John William's didn't quite work out for Mirai this time. His music usually has the high emotional octane that is capable bring out the best of Mirai's young gutso (kinder carmen style) bravado performance. Unfortunately she picked a piece that is rather monotone along with her choreographed program which is equally monotone.

    As alternative to John William's memoir of a geisha to the Japanese exotism, May be she can consider some Joe Hisashi music Particularly his Nausicaä - vally of the wind suite OST.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtv3-x5D99M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngy6d8K-T0Y
    (Story about a young girl warrior in a foreign land same age as Mirai.)

    Or his Laputa suite (his less known but superb work)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy8MEO_2AYo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt0Ek5LZPBA

    Mirai would be 18 next year. It is the fringe of girl/lady. I would love her do an americana, and something by Joe Hisashi, even non - Miyasaki theme.

    For example, I really like his sound track for Kikujiro. It has an innocent, modern, uplifting spirit suitable for Mirai.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjXvptz3pW8

    I can totally imagine her skating to this with pure adulated joy!
    Thank you for these! I am thoroughly enjoying going through each link-most of these I've not heard before!

    I too had no idea that the first half of Mirai's SP last year was by Joe Hisaishi - no that it' called "Fragile Dreams"! I love it, it's so enchanting and well suited to Mirai (I remember trying to rack my brains trying to remember what scene "Fragile Dreams" was played in the actual movie POTC lol).

    I really think as she matures Mirai should consider moving away from Lori Nichols and trying other choreographers-I wonder what some like Sandra Bezic would do for Mirai, David Wilson, etc.

    Btw I loved Yuna's Olympic costumes! I hope Mirai also expands her wardrobe over the years with new designers.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    Posts
    21,222
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I have never. seen. one. person. who looked better with tights over the boot. I am usually so distracted by the ugly deformed look that it's hard to enjoy the program. That's just my take on it. Plus I always wonder if the person is just too lazy to polish their skates.

    (I thought Sasha pulled it off better than most & Sarah's looked the ugliest...and she needed extra leg length less than most people.)


    I cannot stand the OTB tights as they make skaters' feet look like cinder blocks . The only thing that looks just as fug are the tights that cover only the top portion of the boots, leaving the foot uncovered. Those atrocities make skaters look like they're wearing golfing shoes .

    ITA that Sasha was able to carry the OTB tights look better than most, but I still much preferred when she wore "regular" tights.

    To me, FS just doesn't seem right when you can't see the boots .

    Topic? I think Mirai's programs are just fine - we just need to see them after they've had more time to cook, which means at Nats and hopefully Worlds. If her programs were stunning right now I'd be worried that she was peaking too soon.

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    494
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post


    I cannot stand the OTB tights as they make skaters' feet look like cinder blocks . The only thing that looks just as fug are the tights that cover only the top portion of the boots, leaving the foot uncovered. Those atrocities make skaters look like they're wearing golfing shoes .

    ITA that Sasha was able to carry the OTB tights look better than most, but I still much preferred when she wore "regular" tights.

    To me, FS just doesn't seem right when you can't see the boots .
    I think Yu Na also carries the OTB look pretty well because she has (or appears to have) really tiny feet. These skaters should revert to tights in white boots: Mao, Akiko (the OTB tights look particularly awful on her), Rachael. Mirai looks OK in OTB tights, but would look better in white boots. In fact, now that I think of it,she doesn't need to change her programs at all. She just needs to wear white boots!

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    I think Yu Na also carries the OTB look pretty well because she has (or appears to have) really tiny feet. These skaters should revert to tights in white boots: Mao, Akiko (the OTB tights look particularly awful on her), Rachael. Mirai looks OK in OTB tights, but would look better in white boots. In fact, now that I think of it,she doesn't need to change her programs at all. She just needs to wear white boots!
    Whoever said Mao looks better in OTB tights, I disagree. Mao appears to have pretty big feet and the OTB tights just accentuate that, and plus her legs are long enough that she doesn't need the extra length people seem to think OTB tights provide. Akiko has short legs but I still wish she'd wear white boots because 1.) her boots appear to have tongues that really stick out and are distracting and 2.) she doesn't have hyperextension or much turnout and white boots would make this less noticeable while OTB tights make it more noticeable.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,775
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    I think Yu Na also carries the OTB look pretty well because she has (or appears to have) really tiny feet. These skaters should revert to tights in white boots: Mao, Akiko (the OTB tights look particularly awful on her), Rachael. Mirai looks OK in OTB tights, but would look better in white boots. In fact, now that I think of it,she doesn't need to change her programs at all. She just needs to wear white boots!
    I lurve Akiko but totally agree about the tights...they give her level 4 cankles.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •