Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's a girl!

vCash
    Congratulations!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Congrats on the baby girl! Girls are awesome but can be such drama queens Mine sure is! Lol But I wouldn't take anything for her

Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    Yep she was pretty confident. There wasn't much doubt lol. That's funny.. I honestly don't know anyone who has found out the gender at an u/s just to have it be wrong.. but I do hear stories elsewhere lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    My cousin's first baby was a girl according to three ultrasounds.

The story of his birth goes like this:

Doctor: It's a boy!

His mother and grandmother in unison: WHAT?
    Raises hand here! I have a boy that was supposed to be a girl. Actually the only 2 times that my dr was ever wrong was my son and a girl that was born less than 10 hrs after him!

That conversation is almost exactly like mine except...

Midwife: *shocked voice* A! This baby is a BOY!!

Me and SIL: A Boy?!?!?!?!

Nurse: What was he supposed to be?

Me, SIL, and Midwife: A Girl!!

But I love my son and wouldn't take anything for him either. I can't imagine my life without him! We were not disappointed at all (well except his sister hasn't forgiven him for being a boy yet!)
    Have you hugged your kids and told them you love them today?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redonthehead View Post
    That conversation is almost exactly like mine except...

Midwife: *shocked voice* A! This baby is a BOY!!

Me and SIL: A Boy?!?!?!?!

Nurse: What was he supposed to be?

Me, SIL, and Midwife: A Girl!!

But I love my son and wouldn't take anything for him either. I can't imagine my life without him! We were not disappointed at all (well except his sister hasn't forgiven him for being a boy yet!)
    The nurse's question is too funny. If you were suprised it was a boy what other option than a girl could there have been?

vCash
    Congrats, bobs!

Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    The nurse's question is too funny. If you were suprised it was a boy what other option than a girl could there have been?
    They were originally told they would be having kittens.

vCash
    yay!!!! Congratulations!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    This wasn't our anatomy scan.. which is covered by medical. It was a 3D one done at a private clinic that isn't used for anything diagnostic. The anatomy scan is just the regular u/s with the white fuzzy blob that kinda has the outline of a baby lol. They wouldn't tell us the gender at the anatomy scan because it's their policy not to tell. They aren't allowed.
    Weird. I had half my OB care done in Toronto at Mount Sinai (arguably the top hospital in the country), the other half in NYC at Columbia (we moved half way through the pregnancy) and not one nurse, u/s tech or OB mentioned or suggested to us having a 3D u/s. We could have found out the sex during the anatomy scan that was done at 19 weeks. I find it very odd that in BC you cannot find out the sex during the anatomy scan. Things must be run very differenty in British Columbia.

vCash
    Best wishes to Bobs and Mr. Bobs!

Christina is a lovely name, you know.....

vCash
    Best wishes to bobs and Mr. bobs!

vCash
    Congratulations! So happy for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina View Post
    Best wishes to Bobs and Mr. Bobs!

Christina is such a lovely name you had to say it twice. (Actually I agree it's a lovely name.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I find it very odd that in BC you cannot find out the sex during the anatomy scan. Things must be run very differenty in British Columbia.
    IIRC this is a fairly recent rule in BC, and it was put in place for a couple of reasons. One was that many of the ultrasound techs were tired of being hassled to tell what sex the baby was while they were trying to carry out the actual tests the doctor had requested....or being hassled to tell what the sex was if the doctor had specifically requested that the patient NOT be told (e.g. if there was some genetic condition involving the baby's gender which the doctor would want to discuss with the patient and make sure they were fully informed, rather than getting all freaked out because the baby was the gender at risk).

Another reason was (trying to be tactful) that there are a number of cultural groups represented here in which boy babies are considered a good thing and girl babies not such a good thing, and there were fears about what potentially could happen if the gender was revealed and the parents didn't get the gender they wanted.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I know of some places that were sued for telling the parents the wrong gender and is why they no longer reveal the baby's gender.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I know of some places that were sued for telling the parents the wrong gender and is why they no longer reveal the baby's gender.
    Do you know what the grievance was? Emotional damage?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I find it very odd that in BC you cannot find out the sex during the anatomy scan. Things must be run very differenty in British Columbia.
    I don't think this is province wide. One of my profs was told the gender of her baby due about the same time as bobalina, and my brother and his wife were told they it was their choice (also due around the same time). Different health authority though.

My other brother had twins just over three years ago and they were told repeatedly that the babies were boys. They had weekly ultrasounds near the end of the pregnancy too and when they were born they were definitely girls Consequently, one of my nieces names is spelled wrong because my sister in law was doped up, lol.

I have yet to hear of a story where the parents are upset about the mistake though. It's just a bit of a surprise

Congratulations, Bobalina!!
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    I had 1 ultrasound at around 12 weeks. son looked like a blob with a head. They gave me 2 photos, 1 went in the scrapbook and the other to my dad in a Father's Day card. I didn't want to know whether it was a boy or girl, but from the images, you would have thought I was carrying ET. It's amazing what the new images reveal.

My cousin was told all through her second pregnancy that she was carrying a boy. Julie was a tomboy, so I guess they were partially right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    IIRC this is a fairly recent rule in BC, and it was put in place for a couple of reasons. One was that many of the ultrasound techs were tired of being hassled to tell what sex the baby was while they were trying to carry out the actual tests the doctor had requested....or being hassled to tell what the sex was if the doctor had specifically requested that the patient NOT be told (e.g. if there was some genetic condition involving the baby's gender which the doctor would want to discuss with the patient and make sure they were fully informed, rather than getting all freaked out because the baby was the gender at risk).

Another reason was (trying to be tactful) that there are a number of cultural groups represented here in which boy babies are considered a good thing and girl babies not such a good thing, and there were fears about what potentially could happen if the gender was revealed and the parents didn't get the gender they wanted.
    The same policy is in place in Nova Scotia if you are under 35 years old. But if you are over 35 you get sent to another more specific U/S where they will tell you the gender.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I don't think this is province wide. One of my profs was told the gender of her baby due about the same time as bobalina, and my brother and his wife were told they it was their choice (also due around the same time). Different health authority though.

My other brother had twins just over three years ago and they were told repeatedly that the babies were boys. They had weekly ultrasounds near the end of the pregnancy too and when they were born they were definitely girls Consequently, one of my nieces names is spelled wrong because my sister in law was doped up, lol.

I have yet to hear of a story where the parents are upset about the mistake though. It's just a bit of a surprise

Congratulations, Bobalina!!
    Yeah my OB said that even around here it totally depends on the tech you get.. some will tell you, some won't. I know people around here who have been told. For our 20 week u/s we had a tech who was just days away from finishing up her practicum.. as soon as I heard her say that I knew there was no way she would tell us lol. I asked anyway of course, just in case

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Do you know what the grievance was? Emotional damage?
    They sued for the cost of baby items. They said they were tricked into buying nursery items for the wrong gender and should have all the money they spend refunded.

After all, you couldn't possibly have a baby girl in a blue nursery, wearing sports-themed sleepers. And if you painted the walls, you would need all new crib bumpers, blankets, throws, sheets and pillows, wall decorations, drapes, mobiles, toys, matching changing tables, rocker cushions, etc. to coordinate.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    After all, you couldn't possibly have a baby girl in a blue nursery, wearing sports-themed sleepers.
    No, never! I really don't like pink rooms.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The list of items they wanted compensated for was really impressive

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast