Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: It's a girl!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    After all, you couldn't possibly have a baby girl in a blue nursery, wearing sports-themed sleepers. And if you painted the walls, you would need all new crib bumpers, blankets, throws, sheets and pillows, wall decorations, drapes, mobiles, toys, matching changing tables, rocker cushions, etc. to coordinate.
    That's one thing I noticed shopping for my nephew - how early and explicit that gender identity is given. Babies R Us is all blue, brown and orange for boys and pink, purple and pastels for girls. The intensity of it all is a little shocking to me.

vCash
    U/S are covered but a 3D one is not. It has never has been because it is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Congrats! I had them for 3 of my 4, and they were never wrong on the gender. (if that makes you feel any better)

You had to pay? Why? My provincial insurance covered all mine. Of course, that was years ago but my daughter in law's was covered too come to think of it, and her last was only 6 years ago.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    That's one thing I noticed shopping for my nephew - how early and explicit that gender identity is given. Babies R Us is all blue, brown and orange for boys and pink, purple and pastels for girls. The intensity of it all is a little shocking to me.
    I guess it's because with babies they don't have hairstyles and what not to decipher from.. all they have is clothes. Otherwise they all look the same no matter the gender lol.

FWIW all our bedding and what not are gender neutral because we figured we'd use it again for the next baby. We wanted to buy some either girl or boy things though, and I must admit it's pretty cool thinking there's a little girl in there rather than just a baby of some sort lol. We were getting kinda tired of calling the baby "it"

vCash
    I love pink. and purple. and glitter. and hair bows. I hope I have a girl.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I love pink. and purple. and glitter. and hair bows. I hope I have a girl.
    I love glitter too and all things girly, just not rooms that are all pink. Pink overload.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    When I was little, my family lived in a 3 bedroom apartment. My grandmother lived with us since she was ill, which meant my brother, sister and I shared a room, which was decorated in a gender neutral animal theme. When my grandmother passed, my brother got his own room, but my sister and I got to pick out how we wanted our new room to look like. Well, really, me, as my sister was 2 and would'v been happy with anything. I was 6 and therefore mature enough to pick out the theme

I picked pink paint, pink flowery wallpaper and a kitten trim. We had pink fluffly bedspreads. It was like living in a cotton candy machine.

When we moved a few years later, my new room was a cool shade of blue. Pink overload indeed
    Last edited by oleada; 12-17-2010 at 12:59 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Both of my nieces have rooms like that. And one of them has her walls painted bright fuchsia.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    I guess it's because with babies they don't have hairstyles and what not to decipher from.. all they have is clothes. Otherwise they all look the same no matter the gender lol.
    Sometimes people can't tell even from clothes. My best friend had her baby girl in a blue dress once and some people thought she was a boy solely because of the blue!

Little girls are such fun. I know you'll enjoy her, bobalina.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Oleada -- my daughter went the other direction. Green. She picked a pretty intense leaf-green, and painted it on a posterboard and declared, "that's it." Well, I tried suggesting that it would be a little intense...but we painted it that way anyway. And it took your breath away -- not necessarily in a good way -- the first time we saw it with all the drop cloths gone. Luckily, with furniture and pictures and posters it is not quite as intense. Still, I'm glad it isn't pink.

vCash
    When I was 8 my parents agreed to let me get rid of my "baby" room and have it painted any color I want. I couldn't decide between pink, blue, green and yellow, so I had all the walls painted bright pink and sponge painted blue, green and yellow over top. It was terrible, but at the time I loved it so much.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    When I was little, my family lived in a 3 bedroom apartment. My grandmother lived with us since she was ill, which meant my brother, sister and I shared a room, which was decorated in a gender neutral animal theme. When my grandmother passed, my brother got his own room, but my sister and I got to pick out how we wanted our new room to look like. Well, really, me, as my sister was 2 and would'v been happy with anything. I was 6 and therefore mature enough to pick out the theme

I picked pink paint, pink flowery wallpaper and a kitten trim. We had pink fluffly bedspreads. It was like living in a cotton candy machine.

When we moved a few years later, my new room was a cool shade of blue. Pink overload indeed
    The first time I got to pick my room colours I picked pink paint, pink bedding and unicorns lol! I was the ultimate girly girl lol! I went through a stage where I wasn't so much a girly girl anymore.. but I'm definitely back to it. I can't wait to buy little dresses and skirts and jackets and shoes. We have my cousin's wedding to go to in the summer and I'm already looking at the little dresses and shoes planning what she's going to wear

Oh.. and I've already decided that once she gets older we're doing her room in a parisienne theme with an eiffel tower wall decal and toile bedding. I wanted to do that for the nursery but my fiance nixed that idea.. said it wasn't "baby" enough

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    Oh.. and I've already decided that once she gets older we're doing her room in a parisienne theme with an eiffel tower wall decal and toile bedding. I wanted to do that for the nursery but my fiance nixed that idea.. said it wasn't "baby" enough
    What if your daughter hates pink and would rather have a dinosaur or sports-themed room?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    What if your daughter hates pink and would rather have a dinosaur or sports-themed room?
    tell the brat to get a job and buy her own stuff

ok, that's just me
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Congrats Bobalina. I know how you feel. When I had my 3 1/2 month ultrasound and found I was having a girl I was sooooo happy. My ex husband(at the time husband) was happy too.

I wanted a girl so badly and my Raven is a joy. She'll be three on Wednesday 12/22.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    i hated pink as a child so i got a blue room. The one wall had wallpaper on it and it was a floral so it made it a bit more girly

Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Congrats Bobalina. I know how you feel. When I had my 3 1/2 month ultrasound and found I was having a girl I was sooooo happy. My ex husband(at the time husband) was happy too.

I wanted a girl so badly and my Raven is a joy. She'll be three on Wednesday 12/22.

...Her?
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I had to do a sociology assignment about gender socialization via toys. It was fascinating. In the boys toys you'll see a lot of blue, black, green, and orange while with the girls it's a lot of purple, pink, and turquoise. Boys have trucks and weapons, girls have mops and vacuums (I wish I were joking).

vCash
    it's very true. my friends first born loves pink and he does ballet. He wanted to wear a tutu because all the girls were and he didnt understand why he couldnt. They bought him one that he wore at home. His halloween costume when he was 5 was a princess. He had started kindergarten by then and decided he would be a princess who played soccer (he loves soccer) so he had on a dress but under was his soccer uniform. It's very interesting how so many people freak out and can't handle the fact her boy likes pink. She has raised all her kids gender neutral so all 3 boys have trucks and trains and dolls

Quote Originally Posted by Rhianna View Post
    I had to do a sociology assignment about gender socialization via toys. It was fascinating. In the boys toys you'll see a lot of blue, black, green, and orange while with the girls it's a lot of purple, pink, and turquoise. Boys have trucks and weapons, girls have mops and vacuums (I wish I were joking).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234