Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icewalker08 View Post
    The Tourist???????Angelina Jolie, "The Tourist"??????Johnny Depp, "The Tourist"??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Wow. No Gwyneth Paltrow.
    I can't believe The Tourist was nominated as much as I loves me some Johnny Depp and as a Musical/Comedy? It wasn't just that it was badly reviewed, many "normal" people who saw it weren't impressed either. I tend to agree with the nomination being used as a potential ratings booster. Perhaps if the GG's had a best "Unintentional Comedy" category....

From what I understand Goop was pretty good in her Glee guest role (or was it Country Strong she expected a nod for?) and as long as she keeps her trap shut about non-film things I do enjoy her as an actress. However, I did over what she must have thought over not being nominated. Ah, to be a fly on the wall at casa Goop.

I really haven't read any reviews or heard enough from regular movie goers to judge whether or not Halle should have gotten a nomination.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I would really like to see Katey Sagal win here. She is superb on Sons of Anarchy. I was surprised to see Piper Perabo nominated for Covert Affairs. Has anyone else seen that show? I'd heard about it, but never got around to watching it.
    Watched half an episode or so, got bored, gave up. She seemed pretty good in it, but the show itself didn't do much for me.

Speaking of Gwyneth, I've noticed that the new Country Strong ad really downplays her (leading!) role and plays up Leighton what's-her-name. Odd. I thought this was supposed to be Gwyneth's Crazy Heart, not a vehicle for a Gossip Girl. Trying to get the kiddie crowd, maybe?
    Last edited by Wyliefan; 12-14-2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    I can't believe The Tourist was nominated as much as I loves me some Johnny Depp and as a Musical/Comedy? It wasn't just that it was badly reviewed, many "normal" people who saw it weren't impressed either. I tend to agree with the nomination being used as a potential ratings booster. Perhaps if the GG's had a best "Unintentional Comedy" category....
    And Depp has been looking like death warmed over too...WHERE is the sexy everyone is talking about??

From what I understand Goop was pretty good in her Glee guest role (or was it Country Strong she expected a nod for?) and as long as she keeps her trap shut about non-film things I do enjoy her as an actress. However, I did over what she must have thought over not being nominated. Ah, to be a fly on the wall at casa Goop.

I really haven't read any reviews or heard enough from regular movie goers to judge whether or not Halle should have gotten a nomination.
    @ Casa Goop. I can't read that site without giggling - she's too full of herself. To her credit, she has made a couple of decent films, but her ego - oy!!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Kinda surprised True Grit was completely shut out. There's talk of Oscar nominations for Jeff Bridges and for the young girl as supporting actress.
    The HFPA aren't huge fans of the Coen brothers. IIRC No Country for Old Men didn't get a whole lot of love from them either.

Actually, last year The Hurt Locker didn't get a lot of love from them, and it basically cleaned up at the Oscars.

vCash
    I'm beginning to wonder if there weren't enough truly strong films so those who did the nominating had to fill in the extra spots somehow. That and politik.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if there weren't enough truly strong films so those who did the nominating had to fill in the extra spots somehow. That and politik.
    I think there were much stronger films for the comedy category and much stronger performances. Mark Ruffalo is more deserving of the supporting nod than Michael Douglas. I'm slightly nervous that something crazy is going to happen and The Kids Are All Right isn't going to win the comedy category.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    I'm shocked Burlesque made it into any list of "Best" movie anywhere.

I love me anything Christina, so I saw it, and her singing was fabulous, of course, but everything else was baaaad. Worst acting (from everyone) I've seen in years, goofy, hokey story too.
    It must have been a really crappy year for comedy/musical films. The dramatic nominations are right on point IMO. For comedy/musical, The Kids Are All Right better run away with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    That's my only disappoinment about the TV Drama catagory. True Blood had their best season yet, and the actors deserved some recognition, especially Denis O'Hare(Russell).
    See, I'm the opposite regarding the season - I thought it was the worst one and really hokey (but then, I'm a huge fan of the books). I thought Denis definitely deserved a nod (if only for the news interruption scene) and the predictions that he would be this year's John Lithgow seem to not be panning out. I also think that Nelsan Ellis (Lafayette) constantly deserves praise, and Alex Skarsgard had some really great scenes this year.

Glad that Anna Paquin didn't get one this year, since other than the over the phone breakup scene I don't think she was that great.

But yeah, Denis was definitely robbed. And it's too bad they don't have a guest actor category at the Globes because I'd write in a nomination for James Frain (Franklin).

As for others, so happy to see Emma Stone nominated for Easy A - loved that movie (and her). Kind of surprised Leonardo DiCaprio didn't get nominated for Shutter Island, but happy for Scott Caan for Hawaii Five-O. Disappointed that Cougar Town got nothing (that show is amazing!) and where's the love for Community? And seriously, a nod for Matthew Morrison for lead actor on Glee? Dude's barely been in the show this year, and he's definitely not that great (though he does 'grate').

IMO Chris Colfer could actually win his, since he's not in a 'comedy' category - his acting on Glee is not comedic, so IMO he'll never win an emmy for it because he's nominated in comedy. The fact that the Globes don't separate comedy and drama for supporting could work in his favour.

vCash
    no nomination for Jennifer Ehle, i was hoping she might get one since she is such a fantastic actress. I am happy for Helena Bonham Carter, who should have won for 'The Wings of the Dow', i though she was slightly better than Helen Hunt

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    2011 SAG Award Nominees:
    http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2010/1...minations.html

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A CAST IN A MOTION PICTURE
    "Black Swan"
    "The Fighter"
    "The Kids Are Alright"
    "The King's Speech"
    "The Social Network"

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A MALE ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    Jesse Eisenberg, "The Social Network"
    Colin Firth, "The King's Speech"
    James Franco, "127 Hours"
    Jeff Bridges, "True Grit"
    Robert Duvall, "Get Low"

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A FEMALE ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    Annette Benning, "The Kids Are Alright"
    Nicole Kidman, "The Rabbit Hole"
    Jennifer Lawrence, "Winter's Bone"
    Natalie Portman, "Black Swan"
    Hilary Swank, "Conviction"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    2011 SAG Award Nominees:
    http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2010/1...minations.html

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A CAST IN A MOTION PICTURE
    "Black Swan"
    "The Fighter"
    "The Kids Are Alright"
    "The King's Speech"
    "The Social Network"

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A MALE ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    Jesse Eisenberg, "The Social Network"
    Colin Firth, "The King's Speech"
    James Franco, "127 Hours"
    Jeff Bridges, "True Grit"
    Robert Duvall, "Get Low"

OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY A FEMALE ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    Annette Benning, "The Kids Are Alright"
    Nicole Kidman, "The Rabbit Hole"
    Jennifer Lawrence, "Winter's Bone"
    Natalie Portman, "Black Swan"
    Hilary Swank, "Conviction"
    It seems like both the Globes and SAG have had one weird nomination in the lead actress category. I wasn't expecting to see Hilary Swank there at all. Annette Benning was a little stronger, but I would have liked to have seen Julianne Moore take the nod over Swank. I'm thrilled that the Kids Are All Right got nominated in the cast award. For me, it is the strongest acted film overall, but I assume that The Social Network or The Fighter will get it.

I can't stand Nicole Kidman, but I really want to see Rabbit Hole. I saw the play when Cynthia Nixon was playing the lead and it was really good.

I'm glad Jennifer Lawrence is getting a lot of nominations for Winter's Bone because her performance really was outstanding. I feel like this is Natalie Portman's year though, which is fine because I thought she was great in Black Swan.

I'm a little confused that Hot In Cleveland got a nod for best cast in a comedy series when there are far stronger casts out there, like The Big C, The Big Bang Theory, Bored to Death, and Party Down.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovepaydays View Post
    Has anyone seen "The King's Speech"? I wonder how good Colin Firth's and Geoffrey Rush's performance are.
    I saw it at a preview, and it was superb across the board. Both Firth & Rush were amazing. If Firth doesn't win best actor this year, after being ripped off last year for A Single Man ...

I posted this in the movie thread but: the thing about Rush's role is that it's really too big to be labelled "supporting," yet Firth is the obvious lead. We've seen that before, when a truly outstanding supporting role gets ignored in favour of a bigger almost-lead-nominated-for-supporting role. So the categories aren't perfect.

Speaking of categories ... anyone else think there should be separate categories for network & cable TV shows? It seems unfair that The Good Wife, for example, is up against 4 shows with no content restrictions. In my mind, that's what makes a show like The Good Wife even more impressive, that they can be that good within the limitations of network programming.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I'm glad Jennifer Lawrence is getting a lot of nominations for Winter's Bone because her performance really was outstanding.
    As a relative unknown, I think this is good example of "it's an honour just to be nominated." But yes, her performance was superb, and the movie would have been nothing without her. I just saw this film last weekend and was blown away.

vCash
    I'm a little confused that Hot In Cleveland got a nod for best cast in a comedy series when there are far stronger casts out there, like The Big C, The Big Bang Theory, Bored to Death, and Party Down.
    The Betty White Effect, maybe?

About The King's Speech, I'm mad that even as it's opening more widely, it's only in two theaters in this area and they're pretty far from me. I'm SICK of limited release. If you're going to open a movie, open the darned movie!

And Gwyneth is 0 for 2. As someone who's really been looking forward to Country Strong, even though I'm not a fan of hers, I'm curious. (And hoping that the lack of award buzz doesn't mean yet ANOTHER teeny-tiny release for this one.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Speaking of categories ... anyone else think there should be separate categories for network & cable TV shows? It seems unfair that The Good Wife, for example, is up against 4 shows with no content restrictions. In my mind, that's what makes a show like The Good Wife even more impressive, that they can be that good within the limitations of network programming.
    Some of the greatest movies ever made were made under the limits of the Production Code.

(Apologies for the double post.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Some of the greatest movies ever made were made under the limits of the Production Code.

(Apologies for the double post.)
    Yikes, the production code! It is true, however, that many of the films considered to be the best of all time were made under the production codes. What has been interesting to me is the number of underground films that were made during the time of the code, but managed to survive. A great example is Kenneth Anger's Fireworks which survived thanks to the film archive at UCLA.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123