Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Jean Senft's Book "Triumph on Ice: The New World of Figure skating"

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I just heard about this a few days ago.

http://www.amazon.ca/Triumph-Ice-Wor.../dp/1553656571

I know some people here think she is a Canadian homer who cheated just as badly as the people she tried to blow the whistle on....but I'm sure that others will be interested in what she has to say about the new judging system and about her experiences in the sport.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I just got it today from the local library....saw it by chance. Beautiful photos of many elite skaters and not the least bit biased. It was a quick read and I enjoyed it.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I see it is already out in Canada but is released in the US March 1, 2011.

It is like she was saying "everyone is so corrupt and Canadians have no chance because of the corruption so no matter how the Canadians skate I will place them very highly and maybe number one" LOL LOL
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 12-14-2010 at 01:27 AM.

vCash

The triumph is here

Evan's victory over Evgeni in Vancouver was not just the result of a great delivery it was the result of solid training and strategic planning. Jean is showing very well in the book, how, element after element, Evan was able to nibble at Evgeni's points lead and how, in the end, he was able to overtake him - this kind of approach would not have been possible under the old 6.0 system!!!

Strategy has now a profound impact on both training and choreography - one needs to define very carefully what to do, how, and where in the program - and the competition is very, very though!

We have indeed a <<New World of Figure Skating>> and it is a better world. Anyone having any doubts about that??? Go back to old tapes and see how elements compare <<then>> and <<now>> - if the technical <<now>> is better, what then promoted the change and is it not the course to follow?

vCash
    I received an advance copy of this book and enjoyed reading it very much. The photos are beautiful.

One thing that no one has mentioned here. This book explains the new judging system and the way in which programs are constructed in order to gain points. It provides simple explanations of the judging system, levels, grades of execution, etc., and it does so in simple, easy-to-understand terminology. The focus is on this past season’s champions, and celebrating their accomplishments.

This is not an apology or justification for events which happened in the past. Anyone looking for a rehash of 1998, is not going to find it in this book.

The photos are beautiful. Simply stunning. The book is a joy to look at and would make a wonderful gift for skating fan friends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Evan's victory over Evgeni in Vancouver was not just the result of a great delivery it was the result of solid training and strategic planning. Jean is showing very well in the book, how, element after element, Evan was able to nibble at Evgeni's points lead and how, in the end, he was able to overtake him - this kind of approach would not have been possible under the old 6.0 system!!!

Strategy has now a profound impact on both training and choreography - one needs to define very carefully what to do, how, and where in the program - and the competition is very, very though!

We have indeed a <<New World of Figure Skating>> and it is a better world. Anyone having any doubts about that??? Go back to old tapes and see how elements compare <<then>> and <<now>> - if the technical <<now>> is better, what then promoted the change and is it not the course to follow?
    Yay for math and strategy.

I am now not interested in this "Plushenko sucks -Lysacek is the best" book
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 12-21-2010 at 08:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I received an advance copy of this book and enjoyed reading it very much. The photos are beautiful.

One thing that no one has mentioned here. This book explains the new judging system and the way in which programs are constructed in order to gain points. It provides simple explanations of the judging system, levels, grades of execution, etc., and it does so in simple, easy-to-understand terminology. The focus is on this past season’s champions, and celebrating their accomplishments.

This is not an apology or justification for events which happened in the past. Anyone looking for a rehash of 1998, is not going to find it in this book.

The photos are beautiful. Simply stunning. The book is a joy to look at and would make a wonderful gift for skating fan friends.
    I think I am going to check it out, mostly out of curiosity. I have always found Senft and interesting figure, so I'm curious to see what she has to say about the new system.

I know a lot of people hate the new system, but I love where skating has gone technically. I guess my questions is, would we have every known that 6.0 skating was less superior techinically without the new system? I probably would have just kept on enjoying skating as it was.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I just got it today from the local library....saw it by chance. Beautiful photos of many elite skaters and not the least bit biased. It was a quick read and I enjoyed it.
    what is this "local library" you speak of?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Yay for math and strategy.

Congrats: You win the "retarded post of the month" award.

Saying Lysacek won because he very cleverly built his program to maximise points (he had the highest levels and a lot of jumps placed in the second half, including all of the combinations) is equivalent to saying "Plushenko sucks - Lysacek is the best?"

vCash
    I hear that was going to be the actual title, until the publisher talked her out of it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Do you mean 2002? Isn't that when everything blew up?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I hear that was going to be the actual title, until the publisher talked her out of it.
    Stupid publisher.

I've only recently had the chance to compare Lysacek's and Plushenko's LPs and I'm surprised it was as close as it was. Lysacek's spins are faster, better centered and his footwork is generally better and his jump landings were a lot better. Lysacek has one iffy landing that was still better than several of Plushenko's landings. I'm in awe that Plushenko could land some of those jumps at all considering his horrible air position but rescuing a bad jump isn't the same as landing a good jump. (nb I've never been a Lysacek fan)

Overall I'll agree that Plushenko is the better jumper but he didn't deliver on the night. He took a hot mess of a 6.0 program to a CoP competition and a skater who understood and worked with the format actually being used deservedly beat him. Plushenko should have been thrilled with the silver instead of getting in a snit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Do you mean 2002? Isn't that when everything blew up?
    For Senft it blew up in 1998.... She taped another judge trying to make a deal about pre-arranging the Nagano ice dance results - from guess what country! and ended up in more trouble than the judge who was offering her a deal...

(nb provocative interpretation of events designed to draw out other interpretations)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    For Senft it blew up in 1998.... She taped another judge trying to make a deal about pre-arranging the Nagano ice dance results - from guess what country! and ended up in more trouble than the judge who was offering her a deal...

(nb provocative interpretation of events designed to draw out other interpretations)
    Wow. I knew there was some hoopla about Nagano ice dance judging but didn't know the details. I'll have to look that one up. I had just barely started watching skating at that time.

Oh yeah, that was the stuff about Yuri what's-his-name.
    Last edited by AJ Skatefan; 12-21-2010 at 11:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    what is this "local library" you speak of?
    The public library in Vancouver BC has "newly acquired" this book and I put in a request, so should get it in a few months at the longest (it has to go through cataloging first).

So if you live in Canada you should be able to get it from your library - at least if you live in a big city.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Congrats: You win the "retarded post of the month" award.

Saying Lysacek won because he very cleverly built his program to maximise points (he had the highest levels and a lot of jumps placed in the second half, including all of the combinations) is equivalent to saying "Plushenko sucks - Lysacek is the best?"
    I feel like I win this from you every month!!!

I like Plushenko's program so much better because he tried to keep the quad trend in the Olympics going! Kulik and Yagudin and himself 2006. Lysacek was happy about ending the quad trend at the Olympics and if that makes him smart and strategic and clever and I'll take stupid, outdated 6.0 thinking! I guess I am interested if she says it is good or bad for the sport that Lysacek didn't do a quad.

vCash
    I like Plushenko's program so much better because he tried to keep the quad trend in the Olympics going! Kulik and Yagudin and himself 2006. Lysacek was happy about ending the quad trend at the Olympics and if that makes him smart and strategic and clever and I'll take stupid, outdated 6.0 thinking! I guess I am interested if she says it is good or bad for the sport that Lysacek didn't do a quad.
    So, Plushenko should have won because of the inclusion of 1 jump? I think it's great to push for the quad, but the rest of that program was really lacking in content as far as components are concerned. And by the by, how exactly do you know that Lysacek was "happy" to end the quad trend.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    So, Plushenko should have won because of the inclusion of 1 jump? I think it's great to push for the quad, but the rest of that program was really lacking in content as far as components are concerned. And by the by, how exactly do you know that Lysacek was "happy" to end the quad trend.
    I guess I don't know if he was happy but he was certainly proud of his win and made no apologies for it. I don't know. It is not just one jump. It is one jump plus 7 others and steps and spins and stuff. In terms of EVERYTHING a skater has to do I was more impressed with Plushenko.

vCash
    Stupid publisher.

I've only recently had the chance to compare Lysacek's and Plushenko's LPs and I'm surprised it was as close as it was.
    IMO Daisuke should have won

vCash

Well, then I guess she decided to play by the same corrupt rules. Because she certainly played her own games, especially where her daughter was concerned. But, then every single federation is complicit, some worse than others, but they all deal.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast