Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Though more known for pairs (obviously), Jamie Sale and David Pelletier both competed in singles and had some success.

David was 4th at the 1995 Canadians (2nd in the SP!!) in senior mens, and Jamie was 5th in senior ladies the same year (3rd in junior the year before) and was 12th at junior worlds that year. She also came 6th in 1998.

IIRC, didn't Kurt Browning dabble in pairs a bit in his free time? Maybe back when he was training alongside Kristi Yamaguchi?

And as I mentioned in the Fedor/Jana thread, Fedor and Jenny Kirk tried pairs for a while, though his back troubles (and, I'm assuming, citizenship issues with the two) caused the end of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    Keegan Messing. Used to skate with Ellie Gottstein.
    I think she was taller than he was when they competed together at Intermediate Nationals several years ago!

Becky Bereswill will make her pairs debut at 2011 US Nationals (Senior) with Trevor Young. She decided not to try and qualify for Nationals in singles this season.

Felicia Zhang is the only skater who will compete in two Senior events at 2011 US Nationals -- Ladies and Pairs (with Taylor Toth). She's also the only U.S. skater to have competed internationally this fall in two disciplines (JGP singles in Dresden, Germany) and pairs at Nebelhorn, Skate America and TEB.

Rachael Flatt's former partner, Andrew Speroff (with whom she won the 2004 Intermediate Pairs title), will make his Senior Pairs debut at 2011 US Nationals with Gretchen Donlan.

ryanbfan, I'm surprised you didn't mention Ryan Bradley! He and Tiffany Vise competed at 1998 Nationals and placed 6th in Novice Pairs.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-14-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    edit

vCash
    What about singles, pairs, AND dance? I know Jeremy Abbott competed in all three disciplines, but probably not all at high levels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ryanbfan, I'm surprised you didn't mention Ryan Bradley! He and Tiffany Vise competed at 1998 Nationals and placed 6th in Novice Pairs.
    Bahaha, that's right! It says on his wiki article and I've read the damn thing so many times I should've known

Ashley Cain currently competes as a Junior lady and Junior pairs team with Joshua Reagan.

vCash
    Until 2007 Meagan Duhamel was better known as a singles skater, having won the junior Canadian title in 2003, coming 4th in senior ladies in 2006, and 5th at 4CC that same year. Her first partner, Ryan Arnold competed nationally in singles for a while too (never doing much, but having qualified for the LP on occasion), and her current partner, Eric Radford, competed solely in singles until 2005, and IIRC he was one year the junior national champion in mens.

vCash
    Going back in time Cynthia Coull competed at 85 Worlds in pairs and ladies. At that time, I seem to remember, other canadian skaters also trained/tested all disciplines Lyndon Johnston passed Gold test at Singles, Pairs and Dance.

vCash
    I recall reading somewhere that Maxim Marinnin (sp?) started out as a singles skater, but decided he could never make it (against Plush, Yags, etc.) and switched to pairs.

vCash
    Adding to the list -

Current competitors: Amanda Dobbs, Mary Beth Marley, Lindsay Davis

Past competitors: John Baldwin (OK he might be current but should retire soon!), Nancy Kerrigan, Naomi Nari Nam

Honestly, all pair skaters skated singles before they started doing pairs, it's just a matter of how far they went with their singles skating. Quite a few of the current U.S. senior pair girls were competing in singles just 2 years ago. There seems to be a trend of pair guys looking for strong girl jumpers to convert to pair skaters. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just looks like the singles skaters never quite master the pair elements (e.g. Caydee Denney who has great jumps but horrendous death spirals and lift positions).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    From Wikipedia:

At the same time, Wylie was competing in pair skating with partner Dana Graham. They won the junior pairs title at the 1980 U.S. nationals. They were coached by John Nicks, commuting to work with him in California. They placed eighth in the senior division at the 1981 U.S. nationals, but then dissolved their partnership when they lost financial sponsorship.
    Video::

1980 Dana Graham & Paul Wylie
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOy8pAR4Dd8

Dick Button singled Paul out for special praise at the Exhibition in Atlanta. (I was there).
    He performed magnificently, in both singles and pairs.

vCash
    John Kerr has competed in singles, pairs, and ice dance!
    Last edited by ssmith17; 12-14-2010 at 03:29 PM.

vCash
    Did someone mention Jessica Dube (Dube/Davison) already?

Mikkeline Kierkegaard who was a singles skater from Denmark tried pairs in Germany with Norman Jeschke.

Eva-Maria Fitze from Germany tried both singles and pairs, so did Katerina Berankova from Czech Republik. And Marie-Pierre Leray from France?

And Fedor Andreev, but he maybe was mentioned already?
    Last edited by Kati; 12-14-2010 at 03:36 PM.

vCash
    Amanda Dobbs competed in senior pairs and singles at Nationals in 2008 or 2009.

In 1997 a 15 year-old Shelby Lyons competed in both pairs and ladies' singles at senior nationals. She and her partner made the World team.

Naomi Nari Nam

Katia Gordeeva

vCash
    I think many skaters have done both (or tried) but not to great success. Rudy Galindo and Kristi Yamaguchi would be the best exception. They won the national title twice as a pair and Rudy won nationals as a single and 3rd at worlds. Kristi also won nationals, worlds and Olympics. I don't think anyone has even come close to that success in both.

Unless by some miracle Jessica Dube wins Canadian Nationals this year.

I wish Ken and JoJo would have competed more, they were really good.

vCash
    Wasn't Tanja Szewczenko going to do pairs last year?

vCash
    Todd Sand competed in singles for Denmark.

vCash
    Since someone brought in dance, and Fedor Andreev has already been mentioned, perhaps we should mention Charlie White, who won the US bronze medal in Novice men's in 2004 and made it to Nationals in Juniors in 2006, where he finished 9th. That was the same year that Davis and White finished won US Nationals in Juniors and finished third at Jr. Worlds in dance, and Charlie gave up skating singles.

Although probably no one but me remembers them Troy & Dawn Goldstein. Troy competed in both pairs and singles.-and dance- and figures.

Here's a site that has what happened to a lot of skaters-and their recipes.

http://skaterscookbook.com/Bio2.htm

Troy Goldstein – competed in singles, as well as pair skating with his sister, Dawn. He is the only skater to date to have qualified for the U.S. Championships in four events – freestyle, dance, pairs and figures. Troy was a member of the U.S. Team from 1987 – 1994. He skated professionally and skated the lead role for the Disney on Ice production of Hercules. Troy has a law degree from California State University at Long Beach.
    Also John Baldwin's brother Don is now competing in pairs and used to compete in singles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Todd Sand competed in singles for Denmark.
    And he was unbelievably dreadful I was so surprised at his success in pairs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I think many skaters have done both (or tried) but not to great success. Rudy Galindo and Kristi Yamaguchi would be the best exception. They won the national title twice as a pair and Rudy won nationals as a single and 3rd at worlds. Kristi also won nationals, worlds and Olympics. I don't think anyone has even come close to that success in both.
    Not in the modern era, but if you go back to before WWII, when the field was much smaller and the demands of the sport less athletic, you'll find a few.

E.g., Sonja Henie once competed in pairs at Worlds and finished 5th, equal to Yamaguchi/Galindo's best finish; she won a lot more Worlds and Olympics than Yamaguchi did.

Herma Szabo, Henie's predecessor as world champion, won five world golds and one silver in singles and two golds and one bronze in pairs. In 1925 she won both titles.

vCash
    I forgot the ever fabulous Robert Wagenhoffer (who as a singles skater qualified for Worlds, and was World Professional champion at least once.) He won the US bronze in 1981, and the silver in 1982. He then retired.

He had previously skated pairs with Vicki Heasly and won the silver at US Nationals in 1979, reversing the usual order of things.

Natasha Kuchiki skated pairs with Todd Sand and won a world bronze, AFAIR, and tried to get a singles career going after Sand left her for Meno and her pairing with Rocky Marval didn't work, but the singles career didn't go well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast