Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Not in the modern era, but if you go back to before WWII, when the field was much smaller and the demands of the sport less athletic, you'll find a few.

E.g., Sonja Henie once competed in pairs at Worlds and finished 5th, equal to Yamaguchi/Galindo's best finish; she won a lot more Worlds and Olympics than Yamaguchi did.

Herma Szabo, Henie's predecessor as world champion, won five world golds and one silver in singles and two golds and one bronze in pairs. In 1925 she won both titles.
    Yikes, I wasn't quite going back that far probably because the demands were less and it was easier to skate both back then.

I wonder what some skaters from the 40s and 50s think about the sport today?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Dick Button has had a lot to say on the subject.

Does Barbara Ann Scott?

Guess you'd have to ask the others who are still around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Dick Button has had a lot to say on the subject.
    I meant someone lucid

vCash
    Yikes, I wasn't quite going back that far probably because the demands were less and it was easier to skate both back then.

But don't forget in the 40's and 50's most skating was outdoors and olympic eligible skaters could not accept money for coaching or doing any sport - not just skating. Most of them had to train around school and work, and weather.

Plus singles skaters had 80 figures to learn.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    John Nicks was a World Champion in pairs with his sister in the 50s. However, his first pair, Starbuck and Shelley, stated that all three of them learned how to do lifts together (on top of Mr. Nicks grand piano) because they did not exist in the 50s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Natasha Kuchiki skated pairs with Todd Sand and won a world bronze, AFAIR, and tried to get a singles career going after Sand left her for Meno and her pairing with Rocky Marval didn't work, but the singles career didn't go well.
    Last I heard though she was skating in Disney as a soloist.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Cythia Coull who did both singles and pairs - skated for Canada.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I don't think they did. She was very successful at pairs, AFAIR-didn't she win a world bronze with her partner Mark Rowsom in 1986? How far did she go with singles?

I'll look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_Coull

Wow.

In pairs she was Canadian champion from 1985 to 1987.
    In singles, she was third twice and second once, 1983 to 1985, and finished 10th at Worlds, the year she won Canadian silver.

AFAIR, didn't she also have her career ended by Exertional Compartment Syndrome?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123