Thread: Chicago Dining

vCash

Chicago Dining

I'm looking for some suggestions for restaurants in downtown Chicago. I'm going to be seeing Wicked at the Cadillac Palace Theatre on Saturday night with my significant one and we're looking for somewhere nearby to get dinner beforehand. Ideally we'd like a place somewhat romantic but not ridiculously upscale, but not casual either. Money isn't too big of an issue, we will be traveling by foot, and seafood is a no. Any recommendations?

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    www.yelp.com
    www.urbanspoon.com

Have fun!

ETA: I'd recommend some sushi places but you said seafood is a no. Also, IMHO, having stayed at the massive Hyatt on Michigan & Wacker dozens of times, downtown is not anywhere near as lively as some of the more residential neighborhoods - perhaps consider getting a light meal beforehand someplace downtown, and heading out somewhere like Lincoln Park or Wrigleyville for drinks/another light meal afterwards.

ETA: which reminds me that I ought to visit one of my B-school friends in Chicago and camp out on her lake view balcony in Wrigleyville. When it's warmer, of course.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 12-14-2010 at 12:26 AM.

vCash
    Try Italian Village on Monroe near Dearborn. It's around the block from the Theater District, so the walk won't be too terrible. There are 2 restaurants, the one on the second floor, The Village, is the one I recommend based on what you wrote. It's romantic (designed to look like a softly lit Italian ... well, village ) and the prices are not sky-high. And the food is to die for.

vCash
    If I'm remembering correctly, Cadillac Palace is on Randolph. If so, you should check out Stephanie Izzard's sublime restaurant The Girl and the Goat. It's also on randolph, a few blocks west of the Cadillac Palace. It's my new favorite restaurant to go to when I visit friends in Chicago. You can check it out here
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Cadillac Palace is definitely on Randolph (I work practically next door). Another suggestion is the Rosebud - the Theater District location at 70 W. Madison. Very good food, not far from the theater.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    One of my absolute favorite places is The Purple Pig (it's on Michigan, just north of the river). It's kind of tapas - it's absolutely amazing and they have great wine! Only thing is that they don't take reservations.

The other place I love is Osteria via Stato (Italian) and really delicious!

Keep in mind that cabs are everywhere and if you didn't want to walk from either of the above two places, you could take a 5 minute ($5) cab ride.

If you're willing to venture a little bit further (still about a 5-10$ cab ride), I would try Avec which is somewhat tapas-esque and has a great wine selection as well!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mashenka82 View Post
    If you're willing to venture a little bit further (still about a 5-10$ cab ride), I would try Avec which is somewhat tapas-esque and has a great wine selection as well!
    I have to second Avec, it's fabulous.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Haven't been to all the restaurants mentioned in this thread, but have heard awesome things about them all. Let us know how your food experience goes this weekend!

vCash
    http://business.intuit.com/boorah-re...FA4544045.html

Brazzaz is really an amazing and unusual place. Actually it is more of a dining experience rather than just somewhere to eat. A bit on the pricey side but different than just about anything else in the Loop. I agree with the whole grab a quick cab ride! The wind blowing around downtown over the lake can be wickerd (and sorry for the pun, it was just too good to pass up!).

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. If time allows it, take a cab ride along Michigan Ave. and see all the lovely holiday decorations. It is especially magical at night with everything twinkling. Plus you don't see the day to day grit and grime of the city.

The Cadillac theater is a great place to see a play. Have a wonderful time!

vCash
    Orable - Clear out your inbox