vCash

quick help--killing time downtown Chicago

I have a meeting at noon tomorrow (Monday)--on Michigan Ave.

Taking the train. Due to that schedule I'll get into town at 9:30 & can't leave until 3:15. I had thought to go to the Art Institute but it doesn't open until 10:30.

It's going to be like 9 degrees w/ windchills WAY below zero. So--need to spend as little time as possible outdoors!!

Don't really want to shop all day, but can wander through stores if there are no other good options.

Will be taking the bus to get around.

Any ideas? Good coffee shops? something like that?

Politiking for Purple
    vCash
    YOu didn't say where on Michigan Ave you have your appointment, but assuming you want to stay by the Art Institute, you might try going to Caribou Coffee at 20 N. Michigan and then going over to the Art Instiute when it opens. As you may know, the Chagall Windows have been put back up.

YOu might also try going over to the Chicago Cultural Center to see if they have any exhibits open.

If you decide that you can stand the weather for a while, you can go over to the Daley Center for the annual Christkindl Market.
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

vCash
    Watertower place opens around 9AM (I think it opens even earlier before the stores open), it's indoors and there are stores and food. It's the only time a year I like to go down there.

vCash
    I believe they put a rink up on the observation deck of the John Hancock Building. That could kill some time. Or have lunch in the Walnut Room at Marshall Fields...ooops I mean Macy's and see the giant tree. ( I assume they maintained that tradition.)

vCash
    What Lynn said. There's also an Argo Tea at State and Randolph, if you're not into coffee. Your best bet would be the Cultural Center if you don't want to spend $$ but the Art Inst if you do.

It IS cold outside, so do stay warm!

vCash
    Or, if you want to stay by the Art Institute, the Chicago Architectural Foundation is just across the way. Spent a lot of money in the gift shop

vCash
    I thought about the rink but it won't open until Jan 1

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    Well its probably too late now, but there's the Christkindlmarket at the Daley Plaza
    http://www.christkindlmarket.com/en/
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!