Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,857
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691

    Japanese qualification rules for worlds

    hi people,

    i wondered, if somebody knows the exact qualification rules of the japanese figure skating federation for the world championships and the four continents?

    last year, if i remember correctly, the lady at the grand prix final who ist best placed and on the podium gets a bye to the olympics. in that case this was miki ando, so her 4th place finish at nationals doesn´t hurt her.

    so now, murakamis the best with a medal.
    that would be interresting, if the federation now hast to chose between ando, asada and suzuki?
    if so, i bet, suzuki will stay at home.

    but does anybody know something?

  2. #2
    Kostner Softie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,534
    vCash
    1017077
    Rep Power
    1319
    Highest placement at the GPF does not automatically qualify a japanese lady to worlds this season, so Murakami might still not make it to Tokyo. I think top 3 at nationals will go to worlds, but the Japanese fed. can pick any of the ladies really.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,857
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Highest placement at the GPF does not automatically qualify a japanese lady to worlds this season, so Murakami might still not make it to Tokyo. I think top 3 at nationals will go to worlds, but the Japanese fed. can pick any of the ladies really.
    that´s nice to hear, so still 3 places open for ando. i can not imagine worlds in tokyo without asada or ando. i think both of them are on the track to worlds, if they deliver solid performances at nationals. i think it´s between suzuki and murakami for the third place, suguri and imai are out of any chances.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the K/N void
    Posts
    2,408
    vCash
    892
    Rep Power
    1843
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Highest placement at the GPF does not automatically qualify a japanese lady to worlds this season, so Murakami might still not make it to Tokyo. I think top 3 at nationals will go to worlds, but the Japanese fed. can pick any of the ladies really.
    Are you sure? Tak told me the opposite - that the highest medalist from GPF would get sent to Worlds - which means Oda and Murakami are on the team. [Although he told me before the final results, so ....... ]

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    294
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not sure about the qualification rules. But based on the season so far, Murakami, Suzuki and Ando deserve to go, regardless of the Japanese Nationals results IMO, but I think the japanese fed will send the top 3 finishers at Nationals, and Mao's score will be bumped up.

    Oh the other hand, it'd be also stupid of the japanese fed to not send Murakami, she's their future star, and should get her worlds experience.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,857
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691
    Quote Originally Posted by letsskate View Post
    I'm not sure about the qualification rules. But based on the season so far, Murakami, Suzuki and Ando deserve to go, regardless of the Japanese Nationals results IMO, but I think the japanese fed will send the top 3 finishers at Nationals, and Mao's score will be bumped up.

    Oh the other hand, it'd be also stupid of the japanese fed to not send Murakami, she's their future star, and should get her worlds experience.
    i agree, i would pick those three, too.
    but let´s wait for maos performance at nationals, but i expect the same: exploded component scores, not downgraded triple axels although obviously downgraded...let´s wait.

    murakami could be dangereous. the japanese have to ensure their three starting places at worlds, murakami and suzuki may bomb.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal
    Posts
    698
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    i agree, i would pick those three, too.
    but let´s wait for maos performance at nationals, but i expect the same: exploded component scores, not downgraded triple axels although obviously downgraded...let´s wait.

    murakami could be dangereous. the japanese have to ensure their three starting places at worlds, murakami and suzuki may bomb.
    You're right about waiting to see Mao's performance at Japanese Nationals.. but I also think that it should be the other three going to worlds, regardless of the nationals result.. and I don't think murakami will bomb, she's known for being very consistent, she didn't do well in the LP of NHK, but that's her first senior competition ever.. and after that, it's been very good.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,017
    vCash
    1561
    Rep Power
    4990
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    murakami could be dangereous. the japanese have to ensure their three starting places at worlds, murakami and suzuki may bomb.
    At this point I'd be trusting Murakami and Suzuki over Mao. Both have been fairly consistent this season. Please don't get me wrong if Asada skates well at Nationals, or is skating well by Four Continents I would want to send her. But clearly there are issues going on with Asada, and who knows if last years Mao will even be back.

    I don't see why the Japanese federation has in that sense any real reason to hold up Asada. IF Mao places fourth at Japanese Nationals, I'd say that if Asada skates really well at Four Continents then I'd send her on account that she's reigning World Champ. But otherwise, NO.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    12,786
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35722
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    I think top 3 at nationals will go to worlds, but the Japanese fed. can pick any of the ladies really.
    This is correct, and it is why an announcement on rules is not being made.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    127
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This is the Japanese figure skating federation's criteria for the selection of the skaters for the Worlds.
    http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/image_...0procedure.pdf

    They will examine the following criteria comprehensively and select the skaters.
    1. The best 3 skaters of GPS, including GPF in the ranking
    2. The top 3 skaters at the National Championships.
    3. The best 3 skaters in World Standings as of the end of the nationals.

    For the criteria #1, Kanako, Akiko and Miki are applied, and for #3 Akiko, Miki and Mao fit in among the ladies.

    Sooo, I guess it depends on the nationals... and it's going to be nail biting...

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    after watch COC and GPF,I hope suzuki and murakami can make the team with Mao.

    Miki seemed had some problems,and....to say the truth,her programs for this seanson are really awful.....

    suzuki and murakami are very lyrical and have the energy and speed at the same time.beside these ,their EX numbers are gorgeous and made all the audience crazy!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,177
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Between how close the free skate scores are for 2nd to 5th place, how close the bronze medal fight is between the 3 Japanese ladies, and Murakami's generous PCS here against Suzuki being robbed blind again, it would be too hasty to name anyone onto the team just yet. I am very confused as to Suzuki's flutz call in the sp and lip call in the lp.

    Ando continues to have problems with the flip but also continues to have strong free skates. So does Suzuki but it does not appear like the judges appreciate her all that much, especially compared to how they score Murakami.

    I am pleasantly surprised for Murakami. I do hope her quick success so far this season does not hinder her motivation for improvements. She still has a long way to go.

    If Mao delivers at Nationals, I think it can be a difficult decision as to who between these ladies to leave home for Worlds. I think leaving Ando home is even harder than leaving Mao home. The international judges are already loving Murakami more than Suzuki. If they decide to send Mao, I think Suzuki probably needs to outskate everyone else quite convincingly to be secure of the world team spot as they are likely to hold down her PCS or give her some <s.
    Last edited by Marco; 12-13-2010 at 04:31 AM.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    806
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    There's some inflation at Japanese Nationals, but Mao's Nat scores were never ridiculously inflated. Last year, she was basically marked the same way as she was later at worlds in terms of downgrades. She has gotten good scores at Nats because she usually delivers at this competition.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    430
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Between how close the free skate scores are for 2nd to 5th place, how close the bronze medal fight is between the 3 Japanese ladies, and Murakami's generous PCS here against Suzuki being robbed blind again, it would be too hasty to name anyone onto the team just yet. I am very confused as to Suzuki's flutz call in the sp and lip call in the lp.

    Ando continues to have problems with the flip but also continues to have strong free skates. So does Suzuki but it does not appear like the judges appreciate her all that much, especially compared to how they score Murakami.

    I am pleasantly surprised for Murakami. I do hope her quick success so far this season does not hinder her motivation for improvements. She still has a long way to go.

    If Mao delivers at Nationals, I think it can be a difficult decision as to who between these ladies to leave home for Worlds. I think leaving Ando home is even harder than leaving Mao home. The international judges are already loving Murakami more than Suzuki. If they decide to send Mao, I think Suzuki probably needs to outskate everyone else quite convincingly to be secure of the world team spot as they are likely to hold down her PCS or give her some <s.
    Suzuki is perpetually the underdog. I have no idea why, her jumps are pretty big, her spins are at least decent (she can get the levels pretty consistently unlike Miki), footwork great, skates fast, performs well, one of the few ladies who actually listen to the music...when will judges ever pay attention to her?

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In the K/N void
    Posts
    2,408
    vCash
    892
    Rep Power
    1843
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    Suzuki is perpetually the underdog.
    Taking the place of Yukari Nakano, who I always thought was better than the marks she got - and who I still believe should have been sent to Torino Olympics instead of Miki.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London, Englandia.
    Age
    21
    Posts
    12,277
    vCash
    581
    Rep Power
    0
    ^True, really.

    Suzuki is the most likely to stay at home IMO.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    21
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Suzuki is the most likely to stay at home IMO.
    This is true, unfortunately. I'm not liking the way the judges are favouring Kanako and leaving Akiko behind.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    422
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Miki's SP (The Mission) is complete crap, but I think the GPF performance was an off day. She's jumping better than anyone else right now. After the LP, which was impressive, I can't recall seeing her that happy since maybe she won worlds.

    This is going to be heartbreaking for someone (and their fans). All four are more than deserving.

    Quote Originally Posted by luCN View Post
    after watch COC and GPF,I hope suzuki and murakami can make the team with Mao.

    Miki seemed had some problems,and....to say the truth,her programs for this seanson are really awful.....

    suzuki and murakami are very lyrical and have the energy and speed at the same time.beside these ,their EX numbers are gorgeous and made all the audience crazy!

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    1,572
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2066
    If I could change one rule in skating, I'd give an automatic bye to the reigning world champion in each discipline, and then let their country send the number of skaters that they qualify for.

    Thus, Mao would get a bye to Worlds (as would Takahashi, etc.), and Japan could send another three women.

    This is the kind of rule change that hurts pretty much no one, and rewards countries with strong programs, as well as skaters who were excellent enough to win a world championship.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Highest placement at the GPF does not automatically qualify a japanese lady to worlds this season, so Murakami might still not make it to Tokyo. I think top 3 at nationals will go to worlds, but the Japanese fed. can pick any of the ladies really.
    that' true,although Oda and murakami have take part in the press conference pre-worlds 2011 yesterday's afternoon, but that dosen't mean they have got the tickets. the highest placement in GPF only make them the candidates for the worlds. and some japanese reporters told me that the lost one will be sent to asian winter game~

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •