vCash

Skating on French CBC - Canada

I am hoping a fellow Canadian may have more details.

I found these listings on Shaw's digital cable guide on my local CBC French channel in Winnipeg (CBCWFT - channel 10)

Patinage Artistique Saturday December 18 2-4 pm Central Time

Translation in my awkward style is "(Presentation of) a stop on the ISU Grand Prix (Figure Skating)" There is only the one listing under this title so far and I have 2 weeks of listings available.

Etoiles sur glace Saturday December 19 2-4pm (Central Time)

Translating the title only would suggest it might be Stars on Ice but translating the description I believe it says "Figure skating competition with American celebrities and figure skaters." It also says the category is something called "Sports a roulettes" which I won't attempt to translate because I would come up with roller blading instead of skating )
    Is this perhaps Skating with the Stars?? There is only the one listing for it though so that seems unlikely as it is an ongoing competition.

Neither of these listings indicate a location or even a year.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Sun Dec 19 on radio-canada.ca the schedule says this

Stars On Ice
    est l’une des plus prestigieuses tournées de patinage artistique au monde. Elle compte de nombreux médaillés olympiques et champions du monde. Voyez, entre autres, des numéros de Joannie Rochette, Cynthia Phaneuf, Kurt Browning, Jamie Salé et David Pelletier, Jeffrey Buttle, Marie-France Dubreuil et Patrice Lauzon, Tessa Virtue et Scott Moir. Réalisateur : Réal Desrosiers.

It sounds very much like CSOI 2010 that just aired on (English) CBC. The fact that Cynthia is in it is a good clue as I don't think she was in it last year.

I think it's on at 2pm local as it's showing up as being on at 2pm in Vancouver as well.

Sat 18th shows this

En provenance de Pékin, les meilleurs patineurs des Grand Prix de la saison 2010 sont rassemblés pour une grande finale. Le Canada pourrait y être fort bien représenté, entre autres, par le vice-champion mondial Patrick Chan et le duo Vanessa Crone et Paul Poirier en danse. Description : Richard Garneau. Analyse : Alain Goldberg. Réalisateur : Jean-Pierre Veillette.

So it's the GPF. Unfortunalely with Garneau and Goldberg who I loathe with a passion because they never shut-up

It's showing as being on at 2pm in Vancouver also.

zap2it confirms these listings.
    Last edited by alilou; 12-13-2010 at 02:41 AM.

vCash
    Thanks alilou. What strange terminology to use for Stars on Ice - I rechecked my listing to see why I used the word "competition" in my translation and that would be because the original French text on my listing is "Competition de patinage artistique avec des celebrites americaines et des patineurs artistique. (Sports a roulettes)"

Obviously some mistakes there. Still curious though, what does Sports a roulettes mean?

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    My French is not that good but I think it means any sports using rollers or castors - roller skiing, roller skating, etc.

I just think they're confused. Anyway patinage artistique is figure skating, but you probably know that

vCash
    If you can tune into the French version of SOI it's usually worth it. They have a very nice habit of showing much more of the show than the English version does.

vCash
    Thanks so much!
    I am so happy SRC is showing a 2 hours coverage for Stars on Ice!
    and I confirm it's the 2010 tour.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Two hours! Wow! I know Skate_Talker said 2-4 but it hadn't actually sunk in that we'd get 2 hrs rather than the single hour we got on CBC.

vCash
    Reminder: Grand Prix Final NOW on SRC!! 2-4pm ET

vCash
    CSOI 2010 on SRC begins NOW!! It's a 2 hours coverage!!

vCash
    Radio-Canada presents the ENTIRE show!! wow! can't believe it! They also show backstages moments! That's really fun to watch!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise View Post
    Radio-Canada presents the ENTIRE show!! wow! can't believe it! They also show backstages moments! That's really fun to watch!
    So much better than the English version! That was excellent. Thanks to everyone who posted details about the broadcast.

Any idea where to send thanks to the people at SRC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerpower View Post
    So much better than the English version! That was excellent. Thanks to everyone who posted details about the broadcast.

Any idea where to send thanks to the people at SRC?
    Not sure, but maybe at auditoire@radio-canada.ca

I also want to thanks them!

vCash
    Also thank SRC for the shot of Scott in a state of undress. Love those Quebecers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Also thank SRC for the shot of Scott in a state of undress. Love those Quebecers.
    Yes, the (female) host/interviewer seemed to get a kick out of that, lol.

If you missed the show, it can be viewed on the SRC website:

http://www.radio-canada.ca

First go to the Audio-Video "zone". By scrolling down and choosing "Sports" under "Index" you can then scroll within the sports entries to find the entry "Web Sport (Duree 1:59:30). Right now it shows up as Hier (yesterday) a 14h; as time passes it will show with the actual date (19 decembre).

I think this direct link should work:

http://www.radio-canada.ca/audio-vid...1400.asx&pos=0

ETA: The GPF coverage is on the website as well (18 decembre 14 h Web Sport) with Alain Goldberg/Richard Garneau.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/audio-vid...1400.asx&pos=0
    Last edited by flowerpower; 12-20-2010 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Add extra link

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Fabulous show

And for those who missed it, it will be re-aired on Dec 25th at 10.30pm-12.30am (This is the time in Vancouver - I don't know if it's also local time)

vCash
    Looks like local time because it is alson on 10:30pm-12:30am here in the 'Peg.

vCash
    Merci!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Fabulous show

And for those who missed it, it will be re-aired on Dec 25th at 10.30pm-12.30am (This is the time in Vancouver - I don't know if it's also local time)
    I just checked for Quebec's province and it's also at 10h30pm-12h30am this Saturday Dec 25th.

I guess it's local times everywhere in Canada.

vCash
    Yay, the internet streaming isn't geo-blocked! That was nice coverage, glad *someone* still is airing the entire Stars on Ice show!