Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Phil Hersh - there still is time to enroll at Stanford for the winter quarter

Praise for Alissa Czisny
    Czisny has won a U.S. title, but this may be the breakthrough performance of her career
    Dumpage for Rachaell Flatt
    Her descent in the judges' eyes since winning the U.S. championship last January already was steep before this week. It became so precipitous in Beijing that Flatt went past rock bottom and could have buried herself for good.
    http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...er-bottom.html

vCash
    I know Rachael did badly, very badly by the looks of her scores- but losing at the Grand Prix final is something most skaters could never dream to do. It's not like it's an open event. I wouldn't dump her so quick.

I didn't actually read the article because Phil just makes me mad. It's a wonder he mentioned Alissa- he never seems to have anything nice to say.

vCash
    I say wait until Nationals until you make a definite judgement on Flatt.

Maybe it was the jetlag from flying to Beijing. Although didn't she do okay at the NHK Trophy?

vCash
    Yeah, I wish I sucked so badly that I could qualify to compete among six of the top skaters in the world

Phil needs to STFU. It's one thing to be disappointed in a skater's performance at a single event. It's quite another to essentially tell her she's washed up and should retire NOW. If he knows as much about skating as he claims he does, he would maybe be more respectful of Flatt's situation. No skater wants to go out on a bad note, and even if he seriously does think she's finished, there are more tactful and supportive ways to express that than to tell her to enroll in school next month.

And a further at his implication that his telling Emily Hughes to retire were the words of wisdom that she needed to hear to move on with her life
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Phil, you may not be able to see my middle finger right now, but trust me it is pointed at you.

I liked it when we had one thread for everything this twat thought instead of opening a new thread every time he graces us with some piece of bullshit. Stop clicking on the links, it keeps him employed.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Except several people said pretty much the same thing in the thread. Just sayin.....
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Except several people said pretty much the same thing in the thread. Just sayin.....
    And I pointed out why they were being ridiculous. But no one is paying them to talk or supporting their continued employment by reading their BS.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Whether we like a skater or not, it's embarrassing and stupid for armchair fans including so many on this board to suggest what a skater should do with their career choice.

It's their career. It's none of our business. The majorities of 'fans' should just retire from their professional careers if we apply the same standard. Stupid.

vCash
    I don't think Rachel did as horribly as I read after watching. It seemed like an off competition.

The Hersh has become boring and predictable.

Banned Member
    vCash
    BTW, Alissa was lucky. If there's a stricter caller who's unfriendly to her jump technique, She would probably have gotten 3-4 jumps downgraded.

vCash
    This article makes me mad. I mean, everyone knows Alissa has the potential to be great and has had this potential for some 5 or 6 years now. Occasionally, she delivers, and this time she did. Because of the depleted field in the year after an olympic season, Miki Ando's horrific SP, Carolina Kostner's injury, and a generous technical caller who didn't issue her edge calls and under-rotations a stricter caller most definitely would have, Alissa was able to win - by 2 points. Great for her but it's not that big a deal or surprise and even she probably knows that she was lucky Miki bombed the SP, Kanako and Carolina each popped an important jump in their FS, and that Yuna, Joannie, Laura and Mao were not at this event.

So Rachael bombed. Alissa has done that plenty of times and the judges don't take problem with her, she just won the GPF for crying out loud. It's one competition, and maybe she should not have competed here, but it was the first time she qualified so she probably wanted to try and skate. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, if Rachael bombs that badly at nationals and Alissa is brilliant and goes on to medal at Worlds, then Hersh can talk, but until then ....

On the run from cholla's vibrating cleavage
    vCash
    I've never been the most ardent supporter of Ms Flatt, to put it very very mildly. But this piece is downright ridiculous. It's Phil Hersh that "went past rock bottom and could have buried himself for good".

vCash
    I would say to her something similar to what I suggested to another impressive young woman, 2006 Olympian Emily Hughes a few years ago, when she was trying to balance life at Harvard with an ever-declining figure skating career.
    This is wrong on so many levels. It's easy to be the opinionated older man on the internet judging girls and telling them what to do with their lives. All of his little complimentary adjectives don't disguise the fact that his words are subordinating and inappropriate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Because of the depleted field in the year after an olympic season, Miki Ando's horrific SP, Carolina Kostner's injury, and a generous technical caller who didn't issue her edge calls and under-rotations a stricter caller most definitely would have, Alissa was able to win - by 2 points. Great for her but it's not that big a deal or surprise and even she probably knows that she was lucky Miki bombed the SP, Kanako and Carolina each popped an important jump in their FS, and that Yuna, Joannie, Laura and Mao were not at this event.
    Should-a, would-a, could-a. You could apply these "what-if" type of situations to almost every event..

IF Mirai hit her layback at TEB, she would've won.

IF Akiko hit her second 3Lz at COR, she would've won.

IF Oda didn't Zayak at SA, he would've won.

The bottom line is, that Miki did bomb her SP, and Akiko and Carolina did pop jumps. It wasn't like these skaters all went out there and bombed. This was, by far, the strongest ladies FS of the season. Alissa took advantage of others' slight errors and was able to win.

And by the way, how is this not a "big deal" for her? Last year she was in tears after finishing 10th at US Nationals. 11 months later, she is on top of the podium at the GPF, her first ISU Championship medal, and a gold at that. This definitely is a BIG deal for her confidence and more importantly, for her career. Let's not undermine her achievements.

vCash
    Hersh is such a hypocrite. How many times has he written Czisny off in the past 6 years? Probably too many to mention. Now he's moved on to Flatt.

What a douche.

vCash
    Meh, as rfisher pointed out this article isn't anything we haven't seen posted here throughout the season. While I disagree with the call for retirement, I do have to somewhat agree with this point:

Yes, Flatt's season has been compromised by a leg injury that has cost her training time and made jumping painful.

But if you show up for a competition, you are expected to perform. If the injury remained a significant problem, she should have withdrawn. The Grand Prix Final may be a significant event, and this was the first time Flatt had qualified for it, but it wasn't worth putting the rest of the season at risk to show up at Beijing in such poor form.
    I don't think she put the rest of her season at risk, but I do think it was somewhat insulting to show up at one of the biggest competitions of the season as unprepared as she was. Sorry but nobody wants to see a skaters plod their way through their programs like she did. This is a sport and if you show up to a competition and skate like she did, then it isn't surprising when people call you out on it. Hersh is harsh enough without giving him more ammunition.

JMO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Phil, you may not be able to see my middle finger right now, but trust me it is pointed at you.

I love this:
    Yes, Flatt's season has been compromised by a leg injury that has cost her training time and made jumping painful. But if you show up for a competition, you are expected to perform. If the injury remained a significant problem, she should have withdrawn.
    Phil, I'm sure Rachael is very sorry she ruined your enjoyment of the GPF by not performing to your expectations.

Obviously Phil never had tendonitis. I have no idea if Rachael was still feeling pain, but it does tend to flare up even after it has supposedly gone away.

Was Mirai the first alternate to the GPF? Hmmm, perhaps she's Phil's new favorite (after he bashed her 2 seasons ago for finishing 5th the year after winning Nats) - he's such a transparent twat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Was Mirai the first alternate to the GPF? Hmmm, perhaps she's Phil's new favorite (after he bashed her 2 seasons ago for finishing 5th the year after winning Nats) - he's such a transparent twat.
    No, Kiira Korpi was first alternate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    No, Kiira Korpi was first alternate.
    Ah, OK, thanks.

vCash
    Yes, well, if the judges read FSU, it is no surprise that Rachel has been dumped due to all the douches on here.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast