Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Doris, maybe now they challenge is having funn form skating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Furthermore to get level 4 on their twizzles, they will either have to do a different entry (1/2 rev jumps have been popular) or they will have to do 3 sets. Again, something that will require some training time. I presume Scott has worked on his though already, and AFAIR, hasn't he been the one to make a mistake in the twizzles rather than Tessa? My memory isn't that great...
    To be clear, none of the Zueva/Spilband team knows the CD as they should be done. Which is a good point about the SD is that they HAD to learn it properly this time around.
    Tessa and Scott are amazingly good at CDs considering that, but in general and compared to the standard I still want to see : they suck like 98% of the current ice dancers !
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Tessa and Scott are amazingly good at CDs considering that, but in general and compared to the standard I still want to see : they suck like 98% of the current ice dancers !
    Which are the 2% that don't suck in your opinion, could you please give me their names? Thank you in advance.

vCash
    Doris, I think you're absolutely correct that the SD will be the weak point. Everyone has struggled and V/M will be at a big disadvantage from not having taken theirs for a spin yet.

Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    If V/M were to compete at Worlds this year I imagine they would be at only about 75-80% like when they barely took bronze at the 2009 Worlds even in a field were nearly all the top teams were riddled by injuries (and the defending World winners and favorites that year didnt even skate). Given that I as well expect not only would they be nowhere near D/W but they would probably lose to P/B as well and finish around 3rd or 4th. Of course at 95-100% they would do fare better then that but I doubt that is what we would see. That is also why I highly doubt they will compete at Worlds knowing they wont be near their best. They will return next season when they are back at their best and feel able to challenge/beat D/W.
    But places 1-4 at that comp were highly questionable. I'm not sure if Tessa and Scott were ever going to come higher than third that year given the return of the more senior teams D/S and B/A to competition. And this season has been so riddled with injuries, program issues and downright bad performances so far, that it would be an absolute shock to me if they finished off the podium. To me it seems as good a time as any to come back, because the level of skating overall has been quite poor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Doris, maybe now they challenge is having funn form skating
    This is true; and I hope if they want to compete this year, they will. I still want to see their Latin FD

Bue, I agree, this is as good a time as any to come back. I too find it hard to believe they would be off the podium, even if their programs weren't quite up to snuff as to technical levels. Based on their OGM and past excellent programs, I expect to see them get Chantastic PCS there.

vCash
    This is true; and I hope if they want to compete this year, they will. I still want to see their Latin FD

Bue, I agree, this is as good a time as any to come back. I too find it hard to believe they would be off the podium, even if their programs weren't quite up to snuff as to technical levels. Based on their OGM and past excellent programs, I expect to see them get Chantastic PCS there.
    But they are really good in PCS compare to other competitiors. And i think Chan was really greate at GPF and he made quad from steps and even 4+3 from step

vCash
    Based on their OGM and past excellent programs, I expect to see them get Chantastic PCS there.
    Yes, Chantastic scoring is definitely not confined to the men's competition!

vCash
    Bue, I agree, this is as good a time as any to come back.
    Incidentally, if B&A wanted to come back, this would be as good a time as any for them too. It seems that D&W will win Worlds this year, but in such a depleted field, would their victory really mean any more than B&A's two silvers?

vCash
    Don't be silly.

A World Championship is a World Championship. A world silver is not.

Did K&O's world championship get an asterisk because Grishuk wasn't there?

Did U&Z's world championship get an asterisk because K&P weren't there?

Did K&P's world championship get an asterisk because B&B weren't there?

Did B&B's world championship get an asterisk because T&D weren't there?

And so on.

When in 2008 Delobel and Schoenfelder won their one and only World Championship, when Dubruiel & Lauzon, Drobiazko & Vanagas, Navka & Kostamarov, Denkova & Staviyski and Grushina & Goncharov, Fusar Poli & Margaglio, not to mention Chait & Sakhonovsky all were not there (all of whom were competing in 2006 in the top ten), and Belbin and Agosto had a fall in the CD, would you put an asterisk beside their win?

Now that's what I'd call a depleted field. It was so depleted that the relatively new senior team of Virtue and Moir finished second. Worse (from the asterisk point of view), they finished ahead of Delobel & Schoenfelder in the FD...

While the GPF was certainly a depleted field, by Worlds, the Kerrs, Faiella & Scali, and Capellini & Lanotte will all be back.

Probably V&M will be too. So the only missing teams in the top ten from Worlds 2010 will be number 6, the Zaretskis, and possibly number 9, Samuelson & Bates. Should V&M's 2010 world championship have an asterisk? Only if so, should D&W win the 2011 world championship, and it's by no means certain, since V&M seem to skate very well with minimal training, have an asterisk.

But if B&A want to come back, I'd be all for it! Why not? I'm loving their pro programs this year.
    Last edited by DORISPULASKI; 12-15-2010 at 09:17 AM.

vCash
    A World Championship is a World Championship. A world silver is not.
    Well, a lot of skating fans sure minimize Yuka's victory in 1994 and Kimmie's in 2006. In the end, I think it all depends on the quality of the skating, and D&W definitely have that going for them.

vCash
    A lot of fans minimize B&A's silver medal in 2006. A lot of fans minimize the OGM of Sarah Hughes.

A lot of fans minimize the achievements of everyone who scores above their favorites. I would not be one of those fans. But they do exist, for sure. And yes, Sato and Kimmie have been minimized. OTOH, everyone seems to like Sato much better these days... I hope Kimmie will rise from the depths of her injuries and growth spurt some day.

Of course, I'm saving my Dixie Cups because the South is going to rise again too : ..

vCash
    Doris, you took the words right out of my mouth. I can't figure who anyone would expect to be contending for the Olympic podium in 2014 who won't be at at least contending for their country's world team this year? Samuelson and Bates? I suppose if they overtake D&W but I don't think that was going to happen this year. So the only way the field is depleted is that V&M won't be 100%.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Don't be silly.

A World Championship is a World Championship.
    And how many skaters were "supposed" to win a World Championship easily as the so-called front-runners because top skaters weren't there, but they couldn't deliver when the championship was supposed to be a cakewalk?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    And how many skaters were "supposed" to win a World Championship easily as the so-called front-runners because top skaters weren't there, but they couldn't deliver when the championship was supposed to be a cakewalk?
    Janet Lynn comes to mind, as do B&A in 2006. But of course, as has often been discussed, counting championships isn't necessarily a good way to gauge the quality of a skater's career. Someone who never won a world title might have been a better skater overall than someone who did. Janet Lynn is a prime example here. And because Kimmie Meissner won a world title, is she a better skater than Tonya Harding, who did not? Anyway, we could go on and on.

I guess one of my points was that B&A had the misfortune of always having "something" get in the way of a world championship. In 2006-8, it was older, more experienced teams. And after 2006, there were no longer the darlings of the judges either. Then in 2009, it was mainly political judging IMO--most people think B&A really deserved to win that year. Finally, in 2010, they had the misfortune of being passed by younger teams.

Maybe the field this year isn't really that depleted. Maybe it's more that B&A just came through in a period that made it difficult for them to ever win. I'm glad that doesn't seem to be the case for D&W. And getting back to the subject of this thread, I hope V&M will be there, because they seem to bring out the best in D&W. It will be much more exciting if they're healthy enough to compete, especially if they can make it a somewhat close contest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Which are the 2% that don't suck in your opinion, could you please give me their names? Thank you in advance.
    Faiella/Scali are the only ones remaining. Well last year at least since I didn't really watch their SD this year.

vCash
    Here's your chance to look at the GW, as skated this year. Other high scoring teams (BobSol and C&P) did not score as high in the GW.

This year's F&S short dances:
    CoC (the whole thing)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKMDUnYG9nM
    CoR, indexed to begin where the GW starts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPOTHv6maAk#t=1m16s

At CoC, the judges gave their GW segments
    GW segment 1 level 4, 6.71 points
    GW segment 2 level 1, 2.43 points, with negative GOE

At CoR, the judges gave their GW segments
    GW segment 1 level 4, 6.57 points
    GW segment 2 level 2, 6.29 points

So they have been struggling with the second segment. Fede's shoot the duck in the first segment though is just like Klimova did it, with the leg up way past vertical (nice )

To contrast, Kerrs scored at SC:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7hcU-DZfD8#t=0m30s
    GW segment 2 level 3, 7.79 points

P&B's best outing with the GW was TEB (they start with the second segment first:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kryQIwAd9aw#t=1m50s
    GW segment 1 level 4, 6.50 points
    GW segment 2 level 4, 8.50 points

and D&W's best outing with the GW was the GPF:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfOLus00jAk#t=1m50s
    GW segment 2 level 4, 8.71 points

vCash
    I'll watch that tonight, but P&B and D&W can't do GW to save their lives
    The first have always have problems with the timing (grrrrrrr) and the second ones have the same problems plus edges are not always there which I always find crazy considering.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Are V&M out for the season? I sure hope so, for D&W's sake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    Faiella/Scali are the only ones remaining. Well last year at least since I didn't really watch their SD this year.
    That's strange 'cause when I saw them at 2009 Worlds they had so-so ice coverage and the most terrible timing even for that easy paso among top 10.

vCash
    I don't care !
    They were doing the right steps, using the right edges and more important of all using the right TEMPO.
    They were the only one respecting the pattern from A to Z.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast