Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Are V&M out for the season????

Does anyone know if they are out for the season? On NBC today, it was predicted D&W will win, and that's ok, but I was wondering if it's official that V&M are not going to be competing this season?

vCash
    http://www.eurosport.ru/figure-skati...o2580715.shtml
    Interwie on russian with Igor Shpilband from GPF.
    He said, they start skating together this week and want to go to Natioanls. If they will not be ready, they 100% plan to go to 4CC and WCh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    http://www.eurosport.ru/figure-skati...o2580715.shtml
    Interwie on russian with Igor Shpilband from GPF.
    He said, they start skating together this week and want to go to Natioanls. If they will not be ready, they 100% plan to go to 4CC and WCh
    Wow ! That is a good news !
    I can't wait to see them again. They are so young and so talented !

vCash
    That's awesome. Thanks Pani.

vCash
    That's great news. I'm surprised at how much I missed them. Happy we'll get to see their programs this season.

vCash
    They are scheduled as the headline skaters for a December 19 show in Tess's hometown of London.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    I think V&M could still easily win Canadian Nationals, but what would their chances be at Worlds? They barely beat D&W last year, and in fact lost to them in the TES. It sounds like V&M could win the silver, though.

vCash
    I'd be happy with a medal at world's. They might not be able to catch up to the french and Americans in the next few months.

The big win would be if she can skate through next competitive season pain free. We can only hope this surgery madness is over

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    The big win would be if she can skate through next competitive season pain free. We can only hope this surgery madness is over

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    I think V&M could still easily win Canadian Nationals, but what would their chances be at Worlds? They barely beat D&W last year, and in fact lost to them in the TES. It sounds like V&M could win the silver, though.
    V&M have beat D&W narrowly often in the past two seasons, including their bronze in 2009, but the two teams know that they are in a league of their
    own and enjoy pushing each other. V&M have indicated that they are not done yet and I would guess that continuing to evolve as skaters is more important to them than merely racking up more gold medals. Just to compete this season would be a victory for them - I'm sure they would prefer not to lose an entire season because it could have a negative impact on next season as well.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    I'd be happy with a medal at world's. They might not be able to catch up to the french and Americans in the next few months.

D/W might have an edge but the french !!! I like the french team but come on !

They are the olympic champion, and I really doubt the judges are going to make them lose against the french "this year" since World isn't even in France. Let's be honest, even if V/M are at 70-75% of their usual form, they are still better than the rest, except D/W.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chmea View Post
    Um yeah, not to insult P/B who are an extremely enjoyable team, but I think Tessa and Scott coming back from an injury are probably well beyond the reach of the French at their very best. My prediction for V/M is a solid silver medal showing.

But that isn't really the point. The point is a good, healthy return to competition that sets them up for next season

vCash
    If V/M were to compete at Worlds this year I imagine they would be at only about 75-80% like when they barely took bronze at the 2009 Worlds even in a field were nearly all the top teams were riddled by injuries (and the defending World winners and favorites that year didnt even skate). Given that I as well expect not only would they be nowhere near D/W but they would probably lose to P/B as well and finish around 3rd or 4th. Of course at 95-100% they would do fare better then that but I doubt that is what we would see. That is also why I highly doubt they will compete at Worlds knowing they wont be near their best. They will return next season when they are back at their best and feel able to challenge/beat D/W.

vCash
    Girls, maybe Tessa and Scott dont want compete next season or maybe they want compete now and dont know, what they will doing next season - maybe will skate, maybe not.....
    Maybe we need to respect there decision?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    According to this article they plan to skate in the Winter Dreams on Ice show this Sunday night at the John Labatt Centre. If they really skate there they'll have no choice than to skate at Worlds 2011, except they cite a relapse of Tessa's injury for example, AFAIK. (Remember what happened to Plushenko)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chmea View Post

They are the olympic champion, and I really doubt the judges are going to make them lose against the french "this year" since World isn't even in France. Let's be honest, even if V/M are at 70-75% of their usual form, they are still better than the rest, except D/W.
    Oh I hear you, really.
    I haven't been a fan of the french, but I do feel they have improved a lot. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt while not laying too much onto Tessa and Scott in terms of expectations.

They may go to nationals just to get out there. But really I would see 4CC as their first real comp to prep for worlds.

vCash
    Pani, they definitely want to skate and compete this season. They've said so. And Scott did say something about having a "long career". As for next season, because of the break with the injury, I am (almost) sure they will want to compete.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan26 View Post
    According to this article they plan to skate in the Winter Dreams on Ice show this Sunday night at the John Labatt Centre. If they really skate there they'll have no choice than to skate at Worlds 2011, except they cite a relapse of Tessa's injury for example, AFAIK. (Remember what happened to Plushenko)
    V&M are in no danger of losing their eligibibility if they skate in this show. They're not skipping an ISU competition they were supposed to be participating in to do this show, and if the consent of Skate Canada was required, they or the orgranizers involved are astute enough to get one.

Plushenko was suspended because he bailed out of Worlds due to injury and then skated his Kings on Ice tour which was taking place at approximately the same time as the event he was too injured to skate. Not the same thing at all.

vCash
    They've been very consistent about saying they want to continue competing, but I think they said they are making the decision on a year by year basis?

The big question, both for Tessa's health (less training), and for doing well at Worlds (more training), is how much training per day can she do without reinjuring herself. And that's just not known, and won't be known, until they try.

This year has had challenges for all the teams, particularly the Short Dance.
    Their programs were done before Tessa's surgery, so what the S&Z team learned from having their students compete the SD won't have been incorporated strongly into V&M's SD. For one thin, the choice of Waltz/Tango has not been a winner this year for teams that tried it.

I tried rewatching their Golden at last year's World's, but the video was so badly shot that it was difficult to tell what GW levels they would have gotten if Worlds had been competed under this year's rules for assigning levels. In general, the Shpilband teams have concentrated more on speed and the character of the dance, and timing than the exact specification for 8 particular parts of the dance. This affected D&W a lot and took all the way till the GPF for them to achieve level4's in both GW segments. I would expect that V&M would have less trouble, having a more generally precise technique than D&W, but there are definitely going to be a couple spots; certainly getting low enough with the leg parallel to the ice in the first segment may be hard on Tessa's leg, and the cascade section in the second segment may require some work from them, too. I can't tell you whether their foot positions in their Choctaws are exactly right per this year's spec (D&W's weren't). If they aren't, some significant work to relearn them may be required.

Furthermore to get level 4 on their twizzles, they will either have to do a different entry (1/2 rev jumps have been popular) or they will have to do 3 sets. Again, something that will require some training time. I presume Scott has worked on his though already, and AFAIR, hasn't he been the one to make a mistake in the twizzles rather than Tessa? My memory isn't that great...

I think their biggest challenge will be the same as the other teams': scoring well in the SD.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast