vCash

Exclamation Heavy snow causes Metrodome roof to collapse in Minnesota

vCash
    Snow in Minnesota, who'd have predicted that? An inflatable roof that didn't take winter into account doesn't seem to be a smart idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Snow in Minnesota, who'd have predicted that? An inflatable roof that didn't take winter into account doesn't seem to be a smart idea.
    The 'dome has been around for 28 years, and this was a record snowstorm here. We had 17 inches of snow fall within a 16 hour span...I don't think anyone could have predicted what ended up happening. The high winds meant that workers couldn't keep up with clearing snow off the top, either.

Overall, a really scary day yesterday. Horrible, horrible weather.

vCash
    Reminds me of the Olympic Stadium roof in Montreal, we've had this problem more than once.

vCash

vCash
    There is talk of this being the impetus for Vikings to leave, ouch. Missed game being played tonight in Detroit. How many fans will make the trip? Hopefully out of towners from the Green Bay game will stay over for this one. PS. The tickets are free!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    There is discussion about how the Vikings management/owners will spin this to ask, yet again, for a new stadium. Evidently they're playing it cool right now - not bringing it up *right away* in order not to alienate people.

I don't give a rip about football or the Vikes, but many, many, many Minnesotans do. Amazing how all the chatter about govt being too big and taxes being too much flies out the window when football stadia funding (or any pro sport) is involved.

Moi, I'm just happy my plowed-in vehicle here in Saint Paul didn't get ticketed and towed!

vCash
    I doubt the Vikings will get a new stadium out of this. The Dome is repairable. I may be wrong, but I can't see them getting (or deserving) a new stadium until they have a few respectable years in a row. There simply doesn't seem to be the interest among taxpayers here.

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Seriously. The taxes in downtown Minneapolis are already horrific! Almost 8 percent on non food, and 10 percent in restaurants...

vCash
    Meanwhile I had to chuckle at the joke going around twitter yesterday that "even God wants Favre to retire".
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    My husband's lunatic friend in St Paul has concocted an entire conspiracy theory in which the Metrodome roof did not collapse but rather was destroyed in a controlled demolition in order to make the city build the Vikings a new stadium. The Giants were also in on it and were not really stranded in KC, but wanted to help by making sure the game was postponed so they pretended to not be able to get a flight.

He posted on Facebook that his not quite 4 year old son concurs with the whole theory.

vCash
    Heard on the radio today that the Pontiac Silverdome (Lion's old stadium) has the same roof and they have some panels in storage that they are sending to help with the rebuild. Someone from Lions texted the NFL offering Ford Field for Monday's game. Free tickets (30,000) gone in 90 minutes!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    Seriously. The taxes in downtown Minneapolis are already horrific! Almost 8 percent on non food, and 10 percent in restaurants...
    Good thing I live in the 'burbs!

But yes, it does suck to pay for stuff when I do go downtown.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    Meanwhile I had to chuckle at the joke going around twitter yesterday that "even God wants Favre to retire".

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    My husband's lunatic friend in St Paul has concocted an entire conspiracy theory in which the Metrodome roof did not collapse but rather was destroyed in a controlled demolition in order to make the city build the Vikings a new stadium. The Giants were also in on it and were not really stranded in KC, but wanted to help by making sure the game was postponed so they pretended to not be able to get a flight.

He posted on Facebook that his not quite 4 year old son concurs with the whole theory.

That's a new one on me. What a nut case!
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Impromptu View Post
    Where I live it's 13% on everything. But that's another discussion...

Meanwhile I had to chuckle at the joke going around twitter yesterday that "even God wants Favre to retire"