Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Z's skaters

vCash
    His doing push-ups in the Kiss and Cry a few weeks ago after Rachel's skate was such a douchey, attention whore moment. Not sure if commentary was joking that he did that stunt 3 times because he didn't realize the camera's weren't rolling during his first few attempts.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    Chan is there because he loves the dartfish.
    Exactly. Chan doesn't train with TomZ, he trains with Kristy Krall (Ithink that's her name) - but in the same arena.

Quote Originally Posted by PEKINGMOO View Post
    His doing push-ups in the Kiss and Cry a few weeks ago after Rachel's skate was such a douchey, attention whore moment. Not sure if commentary was joking that he did that stunt 3 times because he didn't realize the camera's weren't rolling during his first few attempts.
    Watching the live-feed on skatebuzz you actually saw him doing it twice, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was a third time just to make sure the cameras caught it.

Title-less
    vCash
    I've always thought that Tom Z's emphasis on hard work over talent is why he ends up with the skaters he has. Just mho

vCash
    The only thing I curious about is why nearly all his skaters's programs are so boring except Abott...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Clearly he is good at teaching jumps and consistency.
    Jumps, yes. Consistency, no. The only one of his skaters in recent years who has been known for consistency is Rachael. Neither Mroz, Bradley, Abbott (when he was there), nor any of his other female skaters have had any sort of consistency in competition.

However, consistency as a whole is really rare in skating at this level; I think a lot of us got so used to Kwan, Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, etc. who were all remarkably consistent skaters that we took it for granted. In recent years there have been very few consistent skaters, in any discipline except dance.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    However, consistency as a whole is really rare in skating at this level; I think a lot of us got so used to Kwan, Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, etc. who were all remarkably consistent skaters that we took it for granted. In recent years there have been very few consistent skaters, in any discipline except dance.
    Flutz calls, lip calls, UR and DG calls have made a huge difference in skaters' consistency going from 6.0 to COP. Sarah Hughes, for example, would have been one of those skaters who would have to completely relearn the Lutz jump from square one had she competed under COP. Also, she often under-rotated her flip jump, so she would have had to learn to achieve better height on that jump as well. Her triple+triple combinations, like Surya Bonaly's, were under-rotated most of the time as well. Most skaters used to rest during their footwork and didn't have to worry with changing edges and having gumby positions in spins during 6.0 days. Now skaters have no rest in COP programs (and if you do rest too much, your levels and PCS suffer as a result), so of course their consistency has suffered as a result.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra486 View Post
    Wasn't there something on the internet about how Tom Z. uses negative reinforcements to get results? Like how he would make poster boards with his students' rivals and put them by the barrier as they train? Or am I just making this up?
    FYI negative reinforcement= taking something away to encourage a behavior.
    positive reinforcement= introducing stimulus to encourage behavior.

Sorry for the douchery, it's just the intro psych student in me

vCash
    I'm glad to see alot of people on here are not fond of Tom Z. I am not either. In fact, I find him to be an incredibly huge douchebag.

And Ryan won't switch coaches cause he has been with Tom since he was 5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    Chan is there because he loves the dartfish.
    /sorry off topic

Is Dartfish rare? My (former, I'm not skating now) club has it, and we have a rink in the middle of nowhere. A few skaters have gone to nationals (not as seniors) but it's not like it's a "name" club.

Couldn't Chan find Dartfish in lots of places?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Couldn't Chan find Dartfish in lots of places?
    He probably could, but I'm sure he'd prefer to train at a major training center with other top senior-level men. I think he said as much in one of the interviews last year. I believe it was Lori Nichol who recommended he work with Christy Krall on his jumps, and they seemed to hit it off well - I'm sure that was a factor in his relocation.

vCash
    I heard there are people who are experts there that work with Dartfish and Chan. You can have these kind of programs, but if you don't have someone who knows how to use it then it's a waste.
    It's just like in basseball, my BIL uses dartfish with his pitchers and batters. He is not a pro, so it's rather hit and miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I'm glad to see alot of people on here are not fond of Tom Z. I am not either. In fact, I find him to be an incredibly huge douchebag.
    Maybe we should have a survey that measures the degree to which we find certain coaches to have that quality. In my (douche) bag of tricks and in no particular order:

• Tom Zaracjek
    • Nikolai Morosov
    • Julianne Berlin

Anyone else care to add to the list of "prizes"

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Maybe we should have a survey that measures the degree to which we find certain coaches to have that quality. In my (douche) bag of tricks and in no particular order:

• Tom Zaracjek
    • Nikolai Morosov
    • Julianne Berlin

Robin Wagner when she coached Hughes and Cohen.
    Also, Pam Gregory in the Kiss and Cry with Meissner at 2008 Nationals.

vCash
    Brian Orser when he was coaching Yuna. When Yuna's jump got downgraded, he told the media that Ando's jump was more underrotated.. I thought he had no class when he said that.

vCash

• Tom Zaracjek
    • Nikolai Morosov
    • Julianne Berlin

I've always wondered about Rafael Artunian, his relationship with Mao Asada apparently ended badly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Robin Wagner when she coached Hughes and Cohen.
    People love talking about Robin Wagner. She seems to be the most notorious American coach. Either way, I hope her relationship with Elene Gedevanishvili is a good one.

vCash

• Tom Zaracjek
    • Nikolai Morosov
    • Julianne Berlin

Well there's Richard Callaghan with the whole child molestation thing. At least Morosov sleeps with his skaters who are of age.

Tom Z and Morosov are the most obnoxious in the K&C and by the boards of the current overpopulated coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kappa_1 View Post
    FYI negative reinforcement= taking something away to encourage a behavior.
    positive reinforcement= introducing stimulus to encourage behavior.

Sorry for the douchery, it's just the intro psych student in me
    Not douchey at all. I'm just repeating what I think I've seen around the internet and "negative reinforcement" was thrown around a few times. To what degree that means with Tom Z, I don't exactly know.

vCash
    I actually think that Brandon Mroz has decent basic skating skills, and good artistry if you watch his breakout 2009 Nationals FS. With that said, he, like the rest of Tom's skaters, are talented but slow, and they need more direction as far as packaging goes. I think that Brandon's programs this season are boring, and I don't like Agnes' FS. I think that Rachael has a lovely FS, but her SP is sort of a replica of the same vibe from last year's SP. Would love to see them skate to something else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    What did she do? I can't remember.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast