Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    nm
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Alissa Czisny For the Win! I saw when Jeremy posted that, as his tweets also get posted to his Facebook. He also said haters can exit on the left, lol
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I have no idea if it will last, but Joubert just has to get it together and all will be perfect! (well.. no.. but.. better)

vCash
    So is it too late for Eman to make a comeback?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    So is it too late for Eman to make a comeback?
    He could do an Andreev and take up ice dance. What's Pasha up to these days?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I have no idea if it will last, but Joubert just has to get it together and all will be perfect! (well.. no.. but.. better)
    Does Joubert really qualify as a headcase though? I feel like he messes up a lot, but yet somehow he always manages to end up on the European and World podium. I guess he's generally a later season skater and his bombs tend to come during the GP (or the Olympics). I'm not ready to give up on him yet though . I'd love to see him and Verner both on the podium at Euros this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    He could do an Andreev and take up ice dance. What's Pasha up to these days?
    I was lobbying for that when he was on SYTYCD Canada!
    But I think he would really have to work on his speed!
    Shae Lynn and Eman!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I don't think Czisny was a headcase. I think she was a techniquecase.

As for Frank trying to change Kostner's technique, her flip technique was to do the flip as if it was an isolated jump in practice, skate forward 2/3 the length of the rink for speed while completely upright with no arm movements then jump. It deserved a net neg 0.25 GOEs and/or 0.25 off in CH every time she did it. Any coach would try to add arm movements before it.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 12-14-2010 at 06:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    I think headcases like Czisny and Kostner can sneak onto a podium when competing against a depleted field in the first post-Olympic season, but to expect them to do as well at future Worlds or Olympics after this season when younger talents start to emerge and others return or become stronger is asking too much. When you have been consistently inconsistent for as long as Czisny and Kostner have, the likelihood that they'll suddenly pull it all together and not crumple at the biggest events becomes slimmer and slimmer.

In a strange way, this makes wins like Czisny's at the GPF all the more sweeter for us fans because we know it is very likely that she will never have such a victory again.
    Agree. I'm a Czisny fan, but I'm still seeing the same issues that have always plagued her. She is doing better this year, but I'm not ready to bet the ranch on a Nationals...anything. She's had success before and then fallen off dismally. Kostner I've never gotten and have always thought she was substantially overmarked.

Although....I'm never impressed with "younger talents." I've been a figure skating fan forever and there's ALWAYS some little girl on the verge of taking the world by storm. It rarely happens. Both Czisny and Kostner have seen them come and go and they both still manage to wrack up a win here and there while the "young talent" is splatting their way to not even being in the Final.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Does Joubert really qualify as a headcase though? I feel like he messes up a lot, but yet somehow he always manages to end up on the European and World podium. I guess he's generally a later season skater and his bombs tend to come during the GP (or the Olympics). I'm not ready to give up on him yet though . I'd love to see him and Verner both on the podium at Euros this season.
    I vote for headcase. I am not a Joubert fan, to me he's always seemed like Yags without the soul. I saw him live once in an exhibition, and he was a beautiful, non-Yags skater. When not under pressure? Gorgeous. I wish that guy would show up on competition ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    ...I'm still seeing the same issues that have always plagued [Czisny]. She is doing better this year, but I'm not ready to bet the ranch on a Nationals...anything. She's had success before and then fallen off dismally.
    Precisely. Successful GP, generates hope and hype, seems unstoppable, then Nationals comes, CLUNK! (stop me if you've seen this before)

Kostner I've never gotten and have always thought she was substantially overmarked.
    For a while I thought I was alone here. I ALWAYS think she is overmarked. As someone else termed it, she's basically the "female Patrick Chan".

Although....I'm never impressed with "younger talents." I've been a figure skating fan forever and there's ALWAYS some little girl on the verge of taking the world by storm. It rarely happens. Both Czisny and Kostner have seen them come and go and they both still manage to wrack up a win here and there while the "young talent" is splatting their way to not even being in the Final.
    And I agree here. I've been following for less than ten years and ALREADY I have realized that it's really rare for the young ones to live up to all the hype.

vCash
    Kostner I've never gotten and have always thought she was substantially overmarked.
    I think with her lack of jumping content it's getting more and more ridiculous. I am primarily bothered by the claim that her skating skills are so great, but she never looks secure in anything she's doing, so I really don't buy that argument. I don't think she has horrible skills, but she does not ever appear to be completely balanced and often her held edges are wobbly. Me thinks this is a solid case of the Emperess' New Clothes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximillian View Post
    but she never looks secure in anything she's doing
    yeah, it's like watching a thriller sometimes!

anyway, she has great skating skills, nowadays better than her jumps IMO, but she used to have also great jumps!
    look at this combination, back in 2004: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y98pNQBU02I
    She had all the triples, and it's just in the last two seasons (and at 2005 euros and 2006 olympics) that she has struggled with them. This year she hasn't lutz and flip, but it's due to the injury.

I think that from 2008/2009 onward she and her staff approached in the worst manner the Olympics, adding only extra stress, pressure and criticism on her. So, returning to Oberstdorf and flying under the radar has helped her a lot IMO, and this year she's skating with new motivations and passion.
    And her jumping content is low, but it's also quite sufficient in Europe whether one likes or no the fact.

As for Alissa, I'm just happy to see her skating again like that and I truly hope that she'll be at Worlds! I think for her is a little part of tecnique, and a lot of new motivations and trainings methods, so her coaching change it seems a very good thing.
    For Tomas also, his coach changing seems to have worked out very well: I hope that he can be back on the Euro podium again!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think Joubert's World medal streak will end this year. His primary calling card was realy his quad. Well more skaters are trying AND landing them this year than previously, and some of those skaters are much better skater than Brian. Brian's charismatic and very likable, but he stayed eligible too long. The fat lady will sing in Tokyo for him. In fact, she's warming up her throat now.

vCash
    I agree with mrinalini that this is a post-Olympic season phenomenon. It's a combination of less pressure on Alissa & Carolina plus less competition from the other ladies:
    (1) No Olympic season pressure on Alissa or Carolina
    (2) No pressure for Carolina to do her two most difficult jumps
    (3) Yu-Na out of the GP this season
    (4) Mao is under construction
    (5) Joannie isn't competing
    (6) Miki is a little burned out, injured, and changed her SP just before GPF
    (7) Rachael and Mirai have been getting <, << and -GOE on their 3F's and 3Lz's due to right foot injuries
    (8) Akiko and Kanako don't get the high PCS of Alissa or Carolina, so they would have to skate clean. . . which they didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    I agree with mrinalini that this is a post-Olympic season phenomenon. It's a combination of less pressure on Alissa & Carolina plus less competition from the other ladies:
    (1) No Olympic season pressure on Alissa or Carolina
    (2) No pressure for Carolina to do her two most difficult jumps
    (3) Yu-Na out of the GP this season
    (4) Mao is under construction
    (5) Joannie isn't competing
    (6) Miki is a little burned out, injured, and changed her SP just before GPF
    (7) Rachael and Mirai have been getting <, << and -GOE on their 3F's and 3Lz's due to right foot injuries
    (8) Akiko and Kanako don't get the high PCS of Alissa or Carolina, so they would have to skate clean. . . which they didn't.
    So how do you explain Tomas's resurgence then? Is Michal being out with an injury making that big a difference on his confidence?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think Joubert's World medal streak will end this year. His primary calling card was realy his quad. Well more skaters are trying AND landing them this year than previously, and some of those skaters are much better skater than Brian. Brian's charismatic and very likable, but he stayed eligible too long. The fat lady will sing in Tokyo for him. In fact, she's warming up her throat now.
    Well, you know if he bombs the SP, he can always withdraw due to stomach flu rather than end the streak.

vCash
    Normally, I'd agree, but I think this Olympic cycle is a little bit different. Russia has such a pool of insanely talented youngsters that I don't think all of them will slip through the cracks. Plus, the next Olympics is in Sochi which is why I'm expecting to see plenty of beneficial scoring for the Russians in seasons to come even when they don't regularly execute 7-triple free skates.

Japan, the U.S. and even China are also not without promising young skaters who may eventually become forces to contend with come Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    I was lobbying for that when he was on SYTYCD Canada!
    But I think he would really have to work on his speed!
    Shae Lynn and Eman!
    How about Emanuel and Hayley Wickenheiser on BOTB 2011?

ETA Sorry this is OT. It just came to me and I had to send it.

vCash
    On Europeans, if you can get enough points with fewer or less difficult jumps, that's just the way it is in a competition. Hopefully, Kostner will get that surgery and get her jumps back and for now she has developed very nice artistry. I enjoyed watching her GPF programs. Can't say that I enjoyed watching her fly around and jump mostly sloppy in the past. I think the injury has helped her think about all the other elements besides jumps and now she is a more artistic, expressive, and complete skater.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast