Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Unless the child got up, saw his father and went back to bed, it didn't happen. He was sleeping.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/12/new...f.son.suicide/
    The article says the father killed himself while the child was sleeping--not that the child was sleeping when found by relatives the next morning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    The article says the father killed himself while the child was sleeping--not that the child was sleeping when found by relatives the next morning.
    Yeah, that was the wrong article. I found one a few days ago that said the child was found sleeping, but I can't find it now. Obviously, I can't link you to it. But, if the child were up, I would think we would hear more about the child seeing the father hanging. The media would be exploiting that like bees on honey.
    Last edited by cruisin; 12-13-2010 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Yeah, that was the wrong article. I found one a few days ago that said the child was found sleeping, but I can't find it now. Obviously, I can't link you to it. But, if the child were up, I would think we would here more about the child seeing the father hanging. The media would be exploiting that like bees on honey.
    I heard it reported on TV that when his father-in-law got there (in response to the email to his daughter), he found the body -- and that the child was asleep. Of course, it could be wrongly reported but that was what was on the news. It is a tragedy, no matter what. Bernard Madoff's greed has caused such damage to so many peoople.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I heard it reported on TV that when his father-in-law got there (in response to the email to his daughter), he found the body -- and that the child was asleep. Of course, it could be wrongly reported but that was what was on the news. It is a tragedy, no matter what. Bernard Madoff's greed has caused such damage to so many peoople.
    Maybe I heard it on the news, too, and that's why I can't find the article.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Bernard Madoff's greed has caused such damage to so many peoople.
    To himself as well, clearly.

vCash
    At least one of Madoff's victims also committed suicide some time ago.

vCash
    Why was the baby alone with him? Are they divorced?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Wife was out of town, I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    No, they are not divorced. From the article linked in the OP:
    Mark Madoff's wife, Stephanie, sent her stepfather to the couple's $6 million apartment after he e-mailed her at Disney World in Florida, where she was vacationing with their 4-year-old daughter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The harm and distruction Madoff visited on so many lives continues even within his own family. Not the way to solve his problems and sorry he choose this path and inflicted more pain on those that loved him. R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Oh God, not the "suicide is selfish" argument again? I am not defending what he did (or might have done) in his life, but it's so easy to judge others when you're not in a position of desperation yourself.
    Not sure what Buzz meant, but my first reading was that Bernard inflicted more pain on those that loved him, including Mark.

vCash
    Even if the two-year-old did witness his father hanging, I doubt that the father-in-law would tell that to reporters. Plus, 2 years old, he's not going to remember anything even if he did see his dad like that. I wouldn't even know what was going on.

I know a kid who was around 3-4 when his mother died in a tragic car accident, he doesn't remember anything at all about his mom and he's in his 40's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    Even if the two-year-old did witness his father hanging, I doubt that the father-in-law would tell that to reporters. Plus, 2 years old, he's not going to remember anything even if he did see his dad like that. I wouldn't even know what was going on.

I know a kid who was around 3-4 when his mother died in a tragic car accident, he doesn't remember anything at all about his mom and he's in his 40's.
    Such an event leaves scars that last long after the memory is forgotten. Suicide always devastates a family.

I know someone who was seven years old when his mother committed suicide. Everyone was more worried about his ten-year old sister, who had actually found her mom dead. But it turned out to be the boy who has more problems as an adult. The woman had suffered from horrible depression for years and it was worse during the few years of the boy's life than the girl's - so it's possible that the boy's problems may to a certain extent stem from having an ill, unavailable mom during his infancy and early years.

This poor boy may have been traumatized by his father's condition prior to the suicide - his dad would have to have been completely desperate to not only commit suicide, but do so in a place where his son might witness it.

I hope the boy's adult relatives make sure he gets help to deal with the trauma right away.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Foxnews says the baby was sleeping when the body was found (hope that's correct) and that Bernie Madoff's wife says he has his son's blood on his hands. He certainly does. Horrendous.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post

It seem improbable the son saw his father in this case.

But not all children's memory work the same. I, for one, have very clear memories dating back to 18 months, when my sister was born.
    There are plenty of people who remember precise details of their early childhood. Those who don't tend to not believe them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12