Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    Here's a link to a video on this thread's subject. I didn't see it posted.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/406399...-today_people/
    When I saw her, I thought, perfect Sugar Plum, awful Manon. As Ringer said, she's not overweight, but her body type is different from the long lean later-Balanchine ideal. She looks friendly and robust, perfect for the Sugar Plum. On the other hand, if she were playing Manon, starving to death in a swamp, I would absolutely criticize the appropriateness of her body in that context. Ringer must be mindful that her body type is totally unforgiving of the least bit of extra fat, or muscle for that matter, on her line. So if she wants roles like Agon, then she has to go above and beyond in watching her weight.

But she's not Manon, she is the Sugar Plum Fairy. Not only that, she is the NYCB's ambassador Sugar Plum Fairy. Anyone who follows ballet knows that there is no way Peter Martins would have given her that honor if he thought she weren't well-suited for it.

The Nutcracker is the NYCB's cash cow, and dancers may do meet-and-greets with fans, mostly children, so Ringer probably has personal qualities that make her the best overall combination of dancer+ambassador.

vCash
    Based on the clips, I thought Ringer's dancing was nothing special, but her body type looks just fine to me. I'd rather watch her than a thinner dancer of similar ability.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    My favorite dancers are not usually the shorter limbed ones either because of the line. Unless pyrotechnics are in evidence. Like this dancer - Viengsay Valdes of Cuba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jszXs...eature=related Watch at 1:16, 3:09,3:41-4:10 and 4:40 on. She was slimmer than this when I saw her dance, but she does this balancing act everytime. It is ridiculous. Makarova used to park on pointe like this - she was one of my all time faves.

Ringer is definitely shorter limbed, but I don't think she is overweight.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...called-her-fat

Just saw this on Yahoo!. Apologies if it has already been posted.

ETA: Is that idiot f*cking kidding me? She's FAR from fat... ugh people. COME ON.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Svetlana looks nice and healthy in that video, brina. Strong, lean and healthy. Thanks for posting, I love seeing their faces up close.
    I like her because she appears to naturally have that body type. I'm sure all ballerinas have very strict dieting regiments, but from an outsider's perspective, it looks like Uliana follows a much stricter diet (and probably too strict, imo) than Svetlana. I think that's why her movements always appear so certain and strong. I do think Uliana is a better actress than Svetlana though.

In regards to Ringer, she isn't my favorite kind of ballerina due to her limbs being human-length, but she certainly is not fat by any means.

vCash
    Svetlana is too icy for me. I much prefer Lopatkina and Vishneva.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The reason is adore Vishneva's dancing is that she is a perfect storm of natural talent, physique, musicality, technique, on stage charisma and acting talent. Lopatkina and Semionova are similar.

I cannot say the same for Svetlana. I can't put my finger on it but she leaves me cold although she is fantastic.

And Alina--well, as it turns out long lean lines are a necessary but not a sufficient condition for excellence. I find her hyperflexible and sort of a brittle quality to her dancing, like there is no core strength and no control. It just looks weird and distracting to me. I saw her do the fouettés in the Don Quixote pdd and found them to be .
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    Here's a link to a video on this thread's subject. I didn't see it posted.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/406399...-today_people/
    Thanks for posting this. Count me in as one who thinks Jenifer Ringer is a class act. Fat! ? She's not even in that ball park!

vCash
    WTF this girl is soooooooooooo small!!!!! That guy has to be totally nuts.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    I saw her on the Today Show this morning - what's really sad is that she used to suffer from anorexia and was able to "beat" it

She said that there are many different body types in ballet and hers happens to be more "womanly curvy" than some.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    My two cents: George Balanchine was a genius who achieved many great things in ballet. However, I think his influence, at times, stifles this art form in the U.S.

vCash
    Seems weird this is in the news when that Black Swan movie is out.

vCash
    The reason is adore Vishneva's dancing is that she is a perfect storm of natural talent, physique, musicality, technique, on stage charisma and acting talent. Lopatkina and Semionova are similar.
    I agree. I was stuck in the balcony watching her do Swan Lake with Marcelo Gomes and Diana really projects, especially with her Odile.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    When I saw her, I thought, perfect Sugar Plum, awful Manon. As Ringer said, she's not overweight, but her body type is different from the long lean later-Balanchine ideal. She looks friendly and robust, perfect for the Sugar Plum. On the other hand, if she were playing Manon, starving to death in a swamp, I would absolutely criticize the appropriateness of her body in that context. Ringer must be mindful that her body type is totally unforgiving of the least bit of extra fat, or muscle for that matter, on her line. So if she wants roles like Agon, then she has to go above and beyond in watching her weight.
    Agreed that she doesn't have the long-limbed Balanchine ideal. You can see it immediately in her neck - the muscles are short so her neck looks thicker than other dancers'. Her rib cage is also fairly wide, so she'll automatically look bigger in the waist no matter what she does. It's not a matter of watching her weight, she just doesn't have the body type. But if she isn't appropriate for the part, she isn't appropriate for the part. No need to harm herself over something she can't help.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    You know, you are right, Anita18! She probably just has a really wide ribcage and overall unfortunate build for a ballet dancer.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    You know, you are right, Anita18! She probably just has a really wide ribcage and overall unfortunate build for a ballet dancer.
    In that case she's pretty fortunate that the NYCB was open-minded enough to have her as a principal dancer despite her not having the "right" body type.

Yeah, I think many of us here can attest to how weird female bodies can be! My own limbs are very slight and willowy so I look tall and thin, but my ribcage is wide so I look big in the torso. I'm also just about since it's sooo hard to find heels that fit my weird feet! Ugh!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    Seems weird this is in the news when that Black Swan movie is out.
    Probably the only reason it is. Otherwise, I think the review would have gone unnoticed by the general public.

vCash
    Wendy Whelan has an oddly wide rib cage as well. Side to side, not front to back. But the rest of her is very thin and willowy.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Wendy Whelan has an oddly wide rib cage as well. Side to side, not front to back. But the rest of her is very thin and willowy.
    So did Heather Watts because of the scoliosis. Wide rib cage, but she disappeared when she turned sideways, and she had the thin coltish legs.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    In that case she's pretty fortunate that the NYCB was open-minded enough to have her as a principal dancer despite her not having the "right" body type.
    Possibly Peter Martins got tired of hearing that NYCB and Balanchine were singlehandedly responsible for ballerinas turning into raging anorectics and buliemics? A little unfairly--again, I look at the 1960s NYCB, I'm seeing SLIM girls, but not girls who scraped every ounce of fat layer off their bodies so you can see the outlines of their internal organs. Balanchine liked long-limbed girls, and that usually comes with being slender, but he wasn't hiring concentration-camp victims. Probably because to me, tall and slender doesn't necessarily lend itself to fluid, but to being able to make the non-traditional angles and lines that Mr B used so often--you can't get some of those weird right angles and overbalances with a shorter body and his works simply wouldn't look the same.

But I don't see Sugar Plum (or any of the Nutcracker roles, really) as ones that require long and willowy anyway--again, just watched the Royal Ballet. Their Sugar Plum was tiny and 'rounder' (not plump by any stretch, just shorter-bodied) than, say, Wendy Whelan, but what she had was SPEED in her feet (also stretch and ability to hold positions). To me, the thing that ballet has is not gravity-defiance, it's the ability to truly follow the music with your feet. There's a precision to pointe work that replicates the orchestra in a way that dancing flat just can't. Yes, the men do things without toe work that are amazing, but they are more feats of insane strength (and connected to the floor), while toe work allows the ballerina to dance the music with a precision you just don't see in other styles. She can do big leaps, slow rolls through the foot, teeny-tiny flutters across the floor. She can be the music and use the floor either into it or on it.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast