vCash

Question Caviar! what kind? Where do I buy it online? (ship to Canada) How do I serve it?

So...last year hubby and I were lucky enough to get bumped into business class while flying Lufthansa, and tasted caviar for the very first (and so far, only) time. Yum! Somehow I always thought I would like it if I ever tried it, and I did (don't all people who like figure skating have excellent taste in everything?)...but imagine my surprise when hubby left his plate practically spotless because he liked it so much too! Unfortunately, it's not something we working stiffs can afford on a regular basis (the caviar OR the business class flights ).

But...we have a very special, very personal event coming up that we are going to celebrate alone together...it will be just the two of us and I am prepared to spend a few hundred bucks to really make it special. So I thought I'd get 2 or 3 different kinds of caviar (I know it comes in small portions) and surprise him with a personal "caviar tasting" evening. (Yes, there will be vodka too! )

I've done a little research online, but as I said, I know nothing about this - I am a total rookie. I'm not sure where to order it from, or what kind to get. So I am (of course!) turning to my fellow FSU'ers for help. In my experience, no matter what kind of question I ask, there is always someone on this board who can answer it - you guys are always amazing.

So, does anyone know a reliable online site that delivers to Canada?
    And does anyone have any tips for properly serving/presenting/eating it?

Many Many thanks!
    just my two cents...

vCash
    This site has all the information you need on types of caviar and how to serve it:
    http://www.caviarluxe.com/

If you live somewhere like the metropolitan areas of Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver, you might not have to do a mail-order. I've seen caviar in fish markets and in the fish departments of high-end supermarkets in the U.S.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am a fan of Beluga (one of the millions, I am sure). It should look like this: http://www.caspiancaviars.co.uk/wp-c...-grade-000.jpg

I like serving it on a fresh French baguette.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I am NO expert, just know that I like it too on the toast points with a little cream cheese and the caviar on top. I make a little piggy of myself with the sushi rolls rolled in it at our local chinese buffet. It can't be the good stuff (buffet) yet I manage to eat my fill just in sushi rolls. They are little orange roe - it grosses my 12 year old to no end (of course she pigs out on the white rice
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    This site has all the information you need on types of caviar and how to serve it:
    http://www.caviarluxe.com/
    That site has recipes, including one for caviar pie. I've been making exactly that (minus the parsley & chives) for years. It uses the least expensive caviar and is delicious and a great dish to bring to a holiday party or pot luck. I only use the red caviar ever since the time we had little black ants in the kitchen and I realized they could get on the pie and be invisible there. The red is more festive anyway.

vCash
    Call me boring, but I love my caviar with blini and creme fraiche with LOAD of vodka
    I echo IceAlisa's love of Beluga not that I get to splurge too often...

vCash
    Try going to a Russian/Eastern European food store. Caviar there tends to be much cheaper than in specialty food stores/online, and there are usually lots of different kinds. The people who work at the store will often let you sample the various types, and will answer any questions you might have. You might pick up some other yummy goodies as well!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseySlore View Post
    Call me boring, but I love my caviar with blini and creme fraiche with LOAD of vodka
    I echo IceAlisa's love of Beluga not that I get to splurge too often...
    Ahhhhh - so wonderful. Used to be a restaurant in Orange County that served the most divine blinis in the universe. When my kids were old enough, we would leave them at Disneyland and sneak over to the restaurant! Good times.

And, when I lived in London you could go the Harrods food halls, and the caviar was in huge vats............(kind of like getting prepared food at Whole Foods) and you could order what you liked...take it home and...gorge!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    Since we're going down Memory Lane....

There used to be a restaurant in the Place Dauphine in Paris that served almost nothing other than caviar, blinis, wild rice, lox, and champagne.

I regarded it as a personal slight when it closed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lurvylurker View Post
    So, does anyone know a reliable online site that delivers to Canada?
    And does anyone have any tips for properly serving/presenting/eating it?

Many Many thanks!
    Where in Canada. Not exactly, but generally.

If you are in or near Toronto, there's a place in the St. Lawrence Market which sells caviar of all descriptions and prices. We get some every year.

vCash
    Dragonlady, I'm in Red Deer, which is halfway between Calgary and Edmonton.
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Here's a little tip I learned a number of years ago for caviar for a party without blowing the budget. Get a jar of the black lumpfish caviar from the market. Now that stuff is awful right out of the jar because it is extremely salty. However, I was told by a chef to pour the contents into a strainer and wash the eggs until all of the liquid from the jar is gone. Then put the eggs on a paper towel and squeeze a little lemon juice over them, before putting them in a dish to serve. The final product may be a little lemony, but it is quite tasty and actually resembles high-end caviar.

For high-end caviar, I've generally purchased through Petrossian. I don't know if they ship to Canada though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lurvylurker View Post
    Dragonlady, I'm in Red Deer, which is halfway between Calgary and Edmonton.
    Here's link to the place in St. Lawrence Market which includes their phone number:

http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/shop...iardirect.html

They might be able to direct (no pun intended) you to someplace closer to you if they don't deliver.

vCash
    lurvylurker, the Internet (not to mention the Yellow Pages) can be your friend.

Try these places right in your home town: http://www.ziplocal.ca/find/retail-caviar-in-red-deer