Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Tonight is rerun of Berlin State Ballet, and tomorrow is rerun of Bolshoi.

vCash
    I watched the Casse Noisette yesterday. Unusual to be sure, but parts of it I really liked! I just wish the Baryshnikov/Kirkland Nutcracker was being shown. It would get my vote for sure.

Drama queen in the studio, or not, Gelsey Kirkland was absolutely wonderful...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I just wish the Baryshnikov/Kirkland Nutcracker was being shown. It would get my vote for sure.

Drama queen in the studio, or not, Gelsey Kirkland was absolutely wonderful...
    I love that one too, but my vote would go to the 1986 production Nutcracker: The Motion Picture with the Pacific Northwest Ballet, set by Maurice Sendak.
    forest scene and dance of the snowflakes

But since this is not an option, my vote goes to Royal Opera Ballet because Miyako Yoshida is in it.
    Last edited by pollyanna; 12-16-2010 at 01:55 AM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Okay, can I get a plot summary of Berlin's version? And does anyone know where they grabbed the music for the prince's "I'm the director of this company and I'm getting a big solo in Act II' number that was rather obviously NOT from the Nutcracker? I would assume it was Tschaikovski but from another ballet?

I liked the production overall as I enjoy kind of weird German Expressionist kind of moods, but it was a tad confusing. (Not as confusing as Bejart, but if you understand Bejart entirely, you're doing it wrong.)

And I LOVE the Sendak production! I have the book (Hoffmann's novella) illustrated with Sendak's sketches and drawings for the PNW's version. That's always been "the" Nutcracker in my mind.

I like Ballanchine, but I cannot get past that rotting squirrel carcass of a "performance" by Macauly Culkin.

vCash
    I always have a small problem when I watch PNW's version of Nutcracker - the prince looks too much like Snidely Whiplash, and I keep expecting him to tie Clara to the traintracks...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    I always have a small problem when I watch PNW's version of Nutcracker - the prince looks too much like Snidely Whiplash, and I keep expecting him to tie Clara to the traintracks...
    He really does!

vCash
    Just watched the rerun of the Bejart version. Who gave Naomi Judd an accordian?

vCash
    This channel has WAY too many commericials. I guess I'm used to watching ballet on PBS. Agree w/above that Gelsey & Barishnikov is a fabulous version of Nutcracker.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I love the ABT version except that Clara looks like she's home on Christmas Break from university not an adolescent young girl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    I love the ABT version except that Clara looks like she's home on Christmas Break from university not an adolescent young girl.
    Who is dancing the role of Clara?

vCash
    Gelsey Kirkland

vCash
    Gelsey Kirkland
    Oh, that Nutcracker! I don't think Gelsey looks too old at all...

When you mentioned ABT, I thought you meant the current ABT.

vCash
    Gennadi Saveliev, a soloist from ABT, is Cavalier for the Nutcracker I'm performing some minor roles in with California Ballet, I only had availability to do small character roles this year. I loved getting to watch him during the Pas de Deux tonight. His Double Tours finish still in the air and completely rotate, a rarity in Ballet these days unless you're in a bit company, and even then...

vCash
    I just caught this for the first time tonight (Bolshoi), so I won't get to see them all. Casse Noisette is on tonight (I'll watch that one), and then the winner is announced on 12/24.

I prefer a traditional Nutcracker, so I think Bolshoi would have ended up being my favorite. The girl who plays the role of Clara is an incredible dancer, although my daughter and I both thought that she looked way too old for the role. Also, I know this one was filmed a few years back. (The Nutcracker Prince's hair is scary!) I wish they would film and show a more recent version of the Bolshoi's Nutcracker.

vCash
    I liked the Bolshoi's take on Clara becoming The Sugarplum Fairy, I've never watched Bolshoi beginning to end, only the Variations and the Battle, but I watched Act II all the way through last night, including Waltz and Pas de Deux. Waltz of The Flowers is usually my least favorite part of the entire production but I liked what they did quite a bit. The only thing I missed here was a Dew Drop soloist, but the rest was strong enough without one.

I'm very much in a traditional Nutcracker mood right now, maybe because I just finished performing/watching one quite a bit and really enjoyed watching it.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I think Royal is my favorite because they really make as much use as they can of the framing story from the book (and up Clara/Marie's age to suit, even though that's NOT in keeping with the book, it does make it substantially less creepy.)

It's always interesting to see what they do with Drosselmeyer in different productions. (I wish I could find a full-length, non-internet version of NYCB with Balanchine himself in the role--I've seen one very early TV clip of it.) Royal Ballet is probably closest to what Hoffmann was going for, while I still have no idea whatsoever is going on in Berlin's rendition.

vCash
    Drosselmeyer in our local production is played by Peter Davidson, a very talented juggler/dancer who used to be in the group AirJazz. He really made Drosselmeyer more magical than any I've seen in other productions:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4MTZaKfItc

moving right along
    vCash
    I stumbled across the Bolshoi's second act. Good lord, Mr. 'cracker/Handsome Prince was a chunk and a half. I imagine the NY Times critic would be revolted by his size if forced to watch.

Was unimpressed with the lead ballerina. She was precise and robotic, without an ounce of soul. I don't like to watch a lesson in ballet mechanics.

The clack leading the ovations after each variation was interesting. Do they do that at many performances, or was this particularly prolonged because the show was being filmed?

vCash
    Russia is known for having cult followings for their dancers. Some of them are very famous, and this was recorded in 1989, so it was Soviet era Ballet, and the Ballet schools and company are 100% government funded. I remember watching a documentary where some of the Russian/Soviet dancers were interviewed about how obsessive some of their fans got, it sounds akin to what happens to movie/pop stars here.

But yes, it's always been my understanding that it's very common place for Russian audiences to get very involved in performances.

vCash
    Casse Noisette was a hard sell even for me...I had a hard time following the storyline and what was going on...I have to say Casse wins the award for weirdest Nutcracker I've ever seen, and perhaps some of the weird choreography I've ever seen.
    I caught the beginning of this last night and I totally agree. I don't think I could get past the appearance of the nutcracker with those teeth and his "thing" hanging out. I was kind of like and found it kind of distracting...LOL. I recorded it, so I'll watch the rest tonight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast