Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 43
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    174
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Christmas Gift for 11 Year Old Girl

    My rink is participating in the Salvation Army's Angel Tree program again this year. For some reason, none of the tags this year provided any gift suggestions, sizes, etc. The tag I have is for an 11-year old girl. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's big (at a reasonable price) for that age group right now?

  2. #2
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34026
    iTunes gift cards are big, according to my 11-year old niece.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Skating in a Canadian beautiful way
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,753
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    13973
    When I was 11, the best gift in the world to me was a book!

    How about a board game or an art/craft kit?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Thankfukky watching skating
    Posts
    13,665
    vCash
    317
    Rep Power
    41192
    My local Salvation Army volunteers told me that most of their angels are in shelters or in low-cost housing. So an iTunes card would be useless to kids without a MP3 player or a computer. Also any device needing batteries (unless they recharge by plugging them into electricity & not a computer). Luckily my angels had a "needs" section & a "wants" section on their tags.

  5. #5
    Tranquillo
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    behind the gruppetto
    Posts
    24,967
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    38362
    When my niece was that age, she really liked the craft kits and about 1/2 the books I picked out for her. A big stuffed toy/pillow combination can also be fun (search on amazon for stuffed toy pillow to see what I mean). I tunes gift certificates are big with her now, but you'd need to know that the donee has an ipod.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cuddling the sheep smilie
    Posts
    8,988
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6545
    You don't know if she has an mp3, so maybe an itunes gift card is a bit risky.
    ETA: you've just pointed that out.

    When it came to presents from strangers, I used to enjoy beauty products. I remember liking a gift bag from bodyshop my cousin gave me, with some shower stuff, lip balms and moisturisers. I also liked nice stationery.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    700
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    As others have said, books and craft kits - especially if they are the kind where you can make friendship bracelets or such. Inexpensive jewelry (bracelets) from someplace like Claire's perhaps? I noticed the other day that they had those flavored lip smacker type things still, and they aren't colored so some of those. Perhaps a diary? Since they didn't give you any guidence as to what, you could do a whole "kit" kind of thing. Probably anything Twilight, Harry Potter, Glee or Bieber related

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Cuddling the sheep smilie
    Posts
    8,988
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6545
    The problem with books is that you never know what they already have. I was a big reader and often disappointed when I got a book because unless it came from my parent's, I had nearly always read it already.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Alone. With my eyes open.
    Posts
    3,877
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    You don't know if she has an mp3, so maybe an itunes gift card is a bit risky.
    ETA: you've just pointed that out.

    When it came to presents from strangers, I used to enjoy beauty products. I remember liking a gift bag from bodyshop my cousin gave me, with some shower stuff, lip balms and moisturisers. I also liked nice stationery.

    Girls that age tend to really love those body care sets. They feel like their getting something really "grown-up." This time of year, you can find some pretty nice ones for $20 or less. They're also one size fits all, and it doesn't matter whether or not they already own something like it. You can never have too much lotion and soap. I would pick a fragrance that's not too strong though.

  10. #10
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34026
    Sorry, I totally missed the part that this is a Salvation Army Angel. In that case, I second (or third) a skin care set: http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/sale-...-____Off_Gifts
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  11. #11
    Awaiting Validation
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    island auntie
    Posts
    1,147
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Klutz books. Craft books and other kid friendly stuff with supplies included. Most big stores have them. There are books for nail art, beads, fairies, hair wraps, friendship bracelets, paper flowers, etc.

    http://www.klutz.com/kid/crafts?lt=K...//nav/txtl////

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the rink of course!
    Posts
    3,214
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    830
    I have a tweener. Any gift card from Justice, Aeropostale or Hollister (more pricey in my opinion) are the birthday gift items most coveted. At that age they all love Bath & Body Works stuff. In these parts, Abercrombie is nicknamed AberCRUMMY. Let us know what you decide!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,877
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    89820
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Klutz books. Craft books and other kid friendly stuff with supplies included. Most big stores have them. There are books for nail art, beads, fairies, hair wraps, friendship bracelets, paper flowers, etc.

    http://www.klutz.com/kid/crafts?lt=K...//nav/txtl////
    My two girls love the Klutz fashion books. There are templates for different sorts of mix and match outfits and tonnes of paper with cool designs. I have yet to meet an 11 year old who doesn't love them.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Fenway Park
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,751
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    I have a tweener. Any gift card from Justice, Aeropostale or Hollister (more pricey in my opinion) are the birthday gift items most coveted. At that age they all love Bath & Body Works stuff. In these parts, Abercrombie is nicknamed AberCRUMMY. Let us know what you decide!
    Funny that they don't like Abercrombie but like Hollister. It's the same exact store! Literally, only Hollister has the seagull and Abercrombie the moose.

    But yes, I'd also say Bath and Body Works items and the Klutz books (I have the knitting and crochet ones and love them).

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the rink of course!
    Posts
    3,214
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    830
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Funny that they don't like Abercrombie but like Hollister. It's the same exact store! Literally, only Hollister has the seagull and Abercrombie the moose.

    But yes, I'd also say Bath and Body Works items and the Klutz books (I have the knitting and crochet ones and love them).
    There must be a difference as even Wall Street Journal is reporting that Aber is struggling as a company.

    ps when DD was 11 and sort of outgrowing crafts, she loved "Create-A-Clings" also from Klutz I think. It is a craft kit to make the gel-like window clings with molds. She had several afternoons of fun with that which was great to see on a rainy couple of days. And she gave her grandma some for her slider so that the birds from her feeder wouldn't run into the empty glass. It made her feel like she made a difference in the lives of the wild birds. (and nana for not having to find dead birds)
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    17,240
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Depending on where you live (for some of these items): gloves/mittens, warm hat, scarf, sweatshirt, pajamas, socks, robe, backpack, notebooks, pencils, pens, art supplies, crafts, purse, Target/Walmart/KMart gift card, games, snacks, sweets, books, costume jewelry. My husband's firm does this for the holidays, every year, and those are some of the things that are suggested by the schools that sponsor the collecting.

    Wanted to add how this has been done. The firm buys backpacks for 30 kids. Each of the partners and associates takes one home and fills it with as much as they can for either a boy or girl. I have to admit that the backpacks are usually overstuffed and in a shopping bag with more stuff. Then, the school has a party for the kids and each one gets their gift. I love this, because it is going directly to the kids, no middlemen.
    Last edited by cruisin; 12-10-2010 at 03:36 AM.

  17. #17
    Skating Pairs with Drew
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In Uber Rehab
    Posts
    12,171
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Bless all of you who are involved in the giving. I have 25 clients that I have submitted to our adult angel tree program. All are kind, intelligent people diagnosed with major mental illness. All are on disability and almost all are living in group homes. After room and board are paid, some of them have as little as $10.00 per week left to cover clothing, toiletries, entertainment, etc. When the economy was better a couple of years ago, we were able to provide each with a $75.00 gift card. One of my clients was in tears. Not just because she could buy some much needed items, but because she was not forgotten and that this was a sign that someone cared.

    As my group has grown, I've had to go up in the amount of personal spending that I do for group supplies. It is now over $30.00 per week. Still, I feel so lucky to be able to do what I can. I'm now in the process of finding some small gifts. I was able to purchase 35 nice tshirts at $1.00 per shirt. For someone who hates to shop, I'm getting pretty good at finding bargains.

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,962
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7850
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Bless all of you who are involved in the giving. I have 25 clients that I have submitted to our adult angel tree program. All are kind, intelligent people diagnosed with major mental illness. All are on disability and almost all are living in group homes. After room and board are paid, some of them have as little as $10.00 per week left to cover clothing, toiletries, entertainment, etc. When the economy was better a couple of years ago, we were able to provide each with a $75.00 gift card. One of my clients was in tears. Not just because she could buy some much needed items, but because she was not forgotten and that this was a sign that someone cared.

    As my group has grown, I've had to go up in the amount of personal spending that I do for group supplies. It is now over $30.00 per week. Still, I feel so lucky to be able to do what I can. I'm now in the process of finding some small gifts. I was able to purchase 35 nice tshirts at $1.00 per shirt. For someone who hates to shop, I'm getting pretty good at finding bargains.
    If it isn't too late I'd be happy to get a gift card for one of your clients --just pm me with what store you suggest and mailing info.

  19. #19
    Skating Pairs with Drew
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In Uber Rehab
    Posts
    12,171
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    If it isn't too late I'd be happy to get a gift card for one of your clients --just pm me with what store you suggest and mailing info.
    Bless you! I was not posting seeking gifts, but there are so many needy people out there. I may PM you tomorrow after checking with my agency. I would then PM you with the name of my agency and the name of my program. The donation could be sent to the agency and designated for a client in my program. If a card is sent to the agency, you would get the thank you letter from the agency and the tax write off.

    The generosity of FSUers is amazing.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Olympics withdrawal/exhastion
    Age
    22
    Posts
    1,114
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    ...probably anything Twilight, Harry Potter, Glee or Bieber related
    Actually, I'd stay away from anything that relates to a specific book, tv show, or actor unless you're sure the recipient is interested in it. While plenty of eleven-year-olds like things like Twilight or Justin Bieber, there are plenty who don't. Since you can't be sure of the whether the girl likes those tv shows/books/actors, it's probably better to go with a gift without a theme.

    I really liked the suggestion of one of the craft books from Klutz. I remember loving those when I was younger. It comes with all the materials needed, and the crafts are easy and fun for an eleven-year-old. The beauty kits are good as well. Bath and Body Works has some great gift sets for Christmas.

    Have fun shopping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •