View Poll Results: What is your viewpoint on the Reclining Seats issue?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rude Rude Rude! Reclining is an invasion of personal space

46 36.22%
  • It's a Right! The button is there for a reason, and by golly I'm gonna use it

53 41.73%
  • Pity you poor people! I'll be in First Class and above all this perfluffle

6 4.72%
  • Peace Love Granola

22 17.32%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

vCash
    I pack as light as possible in general. We typically take our "big" vacations in summer/early fall, which makes it even easier since summer clothes don't take much room. We've done three trips to Europe, two weeks each time, with just carry-on bags. I bring about 5 days worth of clothes, which all coordinate, and we do laundry a couple of times along the way. I admit that upon arrival home I'm generally really sick of the clothes I've worn for the two weeks. We try to stick to carry-on for several reasons: 1) the possibility of checked bags going missing, which has happened to us in the past; 2) we can take public transportation anywhere and don't need to get cabs; 3) we don't have to worry about hotels with only stairs and no elevators since we can carry everything up; 4) it's really nice to get off a plane and not have to wait for bags before going through customs.

It wouldn't work for everyone, and it honestly doesn't ALWAYS work for us. Last February we went to Quebec for Winter Carnival and for that 4-day trip we checked a bag, since I needed my winter boots and we needed warm scarves, hats, mittens, etc. which take up a lot of space!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    And- he wants to know how many of you are really pissed off when you are waiting in the line-up to get through security, when he breezes by you and cuts to the front of the line with his Elite pass?
    Not the least bit, and I don't know of anyone who is upset. As Erin said, they spend a lot more time in airports and on planes. Plus, I haven't seen them slow down the process for other passengers. There aren't that many of them, and they're such pros that they're usually organized ahead of time for the security check and don't spend any time fumbling.

On more than one occasion, I've looked at the Elite line and felt sorry for those people. They usually look exhausted and stressed. On most airlines, Elite status is based on butt-in-seat miles, not miles from credit cards, etc. I pity someone who spends so much time flying. They deserve all the upgrades they get.

However, I do get peeved by airlines that make the exit row and other choice seats available to only Elite members, so others can't even get them through purchase. It would be fairer, in my opinion, for Elite members to have priority, but not exclusive access to those seats.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    It would be fairer, in my opinion, for Elite members to have priority, but not exclusive access to those seats.
    Usually that is the case. On crowded routes with lots of elites (say JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX) those seats will be filled by elites anyway, but on less crowded routes, you'll often hear gate agents hawking empty "priority" seats for sale.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Usually that is the case. On crowded routes with lots of elites (say JFK-SFO or JFK-LAX) those seats will be filled by elites anyway, but on less crowded routes, you'll often hear gate agents hawking empty "priority" seats for sale.
    Interesting. I recently flew on US Airways, and when it came time to select seats, there were "choice seats" for $15, but the exit rows and other desirable seats could only be purchased by Preferred members.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Offerings vary by airline. Still, the non-exit row "choice seats" available to non-elites will 1) generally be in the front of the economy cabin, allowing you faster deplaning, and 2) may have improved odds of nobody sitting in the middle seat next to you.

vCash
    When an airline is selling a seat in a specific class, it is selling a space for you to occupy and certain level of service and comfort during a flight.

You seat does reclines and that’s part of your “space” that you’re allowed to occupy, during a flight unless a stewardess commands to pull up your seat for safety reasons.

Airlines provide information on their sitting arrangements and seat capacities in their respective class: www.seatguru.com is one of the sources.

One has every opportunity to research “the space” he/she will be entitled to during flight, depending on the class one selects in a given aircraft model, on a given segment, and to compare it to one’s needs, physical disposition, etc….. Reclining is part of space that you buy, with an understanding that a passenger in the seat in front of you will recline as well.

Know thyself!– and pick your space, flight, class accordingly. Once you do – all the “comforts” and “discomforts” are part of the “space you WILLINGLY AND KNOWNGLY purchased".

It is, however, a common courtesy to try to recline you seat gently and gradually, and to see if you’re not causing a major disaster behind you, like bumping a cup of hot coffee off an open tray-table. It’s a good idea to warn someone behind you if you feel that the passenger behind you is active with the “tray table” or otherwise.

Otherwise recline all you want - it’s your space, you paid for, and everyone expects you to recline. As well, you should expect others to recline.

vCash
    My husband and I usually pay the extra $$ for the more legroom exit emergency window aisle. My husband needs the room in front otherwise he is pretty cramped. We have never done a flight longer than 2.5-3 hours though. I always go to sleep on our flights...I don't know what it is about travelling but whether is flying or driving...I just want to sleep.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    Know thyself!– and pick your space, flight, class accordingly. Once you do – all the “comforts” and “discomforts” are part of the “space you WILLINGLY AND KNOWNGLY purchased".
    Why are people assuming that a) you paid for the ticket and thus could select non-economy class; b) got the ticket or confirmation number enough in advance that you had a wide selection of seats at the time of purchase; and c) you actually sat in the seat you chose rather than having the airline switch it or getting re-routed?

My last two flight trips were for business, and they purchased the tickets for me. On the last trip, I was able to select the seats, but the ticket was bought late, so there were only bad seats left on the departing leg. On the return leg, I had a decent seat but got re-routed. Luckily, I got still got a decent seat on the longest segment of the leg, but it was up to the ticket agent. She could have put me in any seat. To make matters worse, the organization wouldn't pay for a checked bag.

On the second to last trip, I couldn't get a confirmation code or number from the travel agent despite repeated requests. I couldn't check in online, choose seats, nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Why are people assuming that a) you paid for the ticket and thus could select non-economy class; b) got the ticket or confirmation number enough in advance that you had a wide selection of seats at the time of purchase; and c) you actually sat in the seat you chose rather than having the airline switch it or getting re-routed?
    and d) you flew on a plane that even had the choice of non-economy class. The flight I did the most often last year was on one of those teeny-tiny 13 row planes where every seat is the same.

vCash
    If it's a longer flight, especially an overnight flight where I plan to get some sleeping done, I'll make a grand production of disinfecting the tray, the seat, the seat belt, and the overhead vent nozzles/light buttons.
    Oh, this is so me! I use Clorox wipes to wipe everything down that I may touch. We just flew back from Paris on IcelandAir, two flights each way, and did this on all our flights.

But one thing this time I noticed is the body odor was just vile. One guy sat next to me and I could see dirt/grime all over him and his hair was disgusting. The stench was out of control. Thank god we saw an empty row nearby and asked the attendent if we could move (where we then had to wipe everything down again! LOL!). I don't know how I would have done a 4 hour flight next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chele615 View Post
    All the flights I've been on (mainly Jetblue and US Air), the people who have to "gate check" their bags never get charged the checked baggage fee.
    This really irritates me. I flew Bos to DC and Bos to MIA three times this year and always paid to check my bag, even though I probably could have either jammed it into an overhead or gate checked it. The number of people gate checking stuff a lot bigger than mine just pissed me off. Should I just not play by the rules too? It saves me what, $50?

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    What's a handicapped seat?
    My Dad has left side paralysis resulting from a stroke. On the few times he's flown, my Mom calls to book and explains that he can't scoot across seats, and needs an arm-rest on the right side so that he can push up and get out using his good arm and leg. A couple airlines they've used do have seats set aside for "handicap" situations, but they don't amount any more legroom or space. They are just held for an event like this. It also usually includes wheelchair support from curb to plane as well. You won't know if or how an airline can accommodate you unless you call and ask.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789