View Poll Results: What is your viewpoint on the Reclining Seats issue?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rude Rude Rude! Reclining is an invasion of personal space

46 36.22%
  • It's a Right! The button is there for a reason, and by golly I'm gonna use it

53 41.73%
  • Pity you poor people! I'll be in First Class and above all this perfluffle

6 4.72%
  • Peace Love Granola

22 17.32%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Another comparable example would be if I was standing watching a parade, I would let children stand in front of me, rather than blocking their view.
    I would do that too, I just don't want them directly in front of me or behind me on a plane

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I once almost got into a fist fight with an unruly (rude Euro ) passenger on a trans-Atlantic flight because he was trying to prevent me from reclining. Had to call the flight attendant.
    I don't normally recline, but on tight aircrafts, when the person in front reclines, I feel like I have no choice but to also recline because someone's seatback is practically in my nose.

I had the same situation as you did with a Rude Euro who took issue with my reclining. I politely explained that I reclined because everyone else on the flight had reclined. That wasn't good enough, so he started cursing me out and violently kicking/shaking my seat. I called the flight attendant, and the Rude Euro flight attendant had the nerve to ask ME to move from an aisle seat to a middle seat! NON! I told her to move the complainer. The complainer was a real asshole and kept kicking my seat and muttering curse words the entire flight. And I kept calling the flight attendant the entire flight until she finally moved him on the fourth or fifth time. I should have been a Rude Amerikan and threatened to SUE!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    I don't normally recline, but on tight aircrafts, when the person in front reclines, I feel like I have no choice but to also recline because someone's seatback is practically in my nose.

I had the same situation as you did with a Rude Euro who took issue with my reclining. I politely explained that I reclined because everyone else on the flight had reclined.
    Actually, you do have a choice: don't recline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It makes me crazy when I see those extra leg room seats taken by families with little kids. I think you should have to be over a certain height to get them !
    My mom and I arrived to check in for a cross-country flight once (this was in 2002) and found that we'd been bumped several rows back. I had picked the seats when I made the reservation online and didn't know there was anything special about them, nothing was marked on the website. I think I picked them b/c they were the closest seats to the front available.

Turned out, the original seats were in an exit row, which meant more space in front. And we noticed the people sitting there were tall. I remembered seeing them sitting in the waiting area when we got there, and we had gotten to the airport fairly early. They obviously got there really early in the hopes of getting the check-in person to bump someone who hadn't already checked in. That really pissed me off. I didn't buy the seats b/c they had room, but I don't think we should have been bumped just because. And for all the airline person knew, my mom and I could have been as tall as them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    My mom and I arrived to check in for a cross-country flight once (this was in 2002) and found that we'd been bumped several rows back. I had picked the seats when I made the reservation online and didn't know there was anything special about them, nothing was marked on the website. I think I picked them b/c they were the closest seats to the front available.

Turned out, the original seats were in an exit row, which meant more space in front. And we noticed the people sitting there were tall. I remembered seeing them sitting in the waiting area when we got there, and we had gotten to the airport fairly early. They obviously got there really early in the hopes of getting the check-in person to bump someone who hadn't already checked in. That really pissed me off. I didn't buy the seats b/c they had room, but I don't think we should have been bumped just because. And for all the airline person knew, my mom and I could have been as tall as them.
    I've never heard of that happening. That's not right! Those seats are not supposed to book until 24 hours prior to flight. I don't know how you got them in advance. But, regardless, they had no right to take them. I still think they should save them for we tall people though . I hope you got that I'm joking. Well, sort of joking, but wishing

vCash
    I hope you got that I'm joking. Well, sort of joking, but wishing
    No worries.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    I've never heard of that happening. That's not right! Those seats are not supposed to book until 24 hours prior to flight. I don't know how you got them in advance. But, regardless, they had no right to take them.
    Not necessarily. Elite fliers can book priority seats at any time and do not need to wait until 24 hours beforehand. I am almost always able to book the exit row aisle seat whenever I reserve, no matter what fare class it is (cheap discount fare for personal purposes or expensive fare for business purposes). I haven't heard of elite fliers bumping people from other seats, though, unless a non-elite flier is mistakenly allocated a priority seat and a gate agent or check-in agent willfully reallocates non-elite fliers away from seats with priority to elite fliers. That having been said, in 2002, airlines weren't quite as strict about reserving certain seats for elite fliers as they are now.

ETA: What was likely the case for Debbie is that when she originally booked and reserved seats online, the plane that was scheduled to fly her route may have changed. For example, if she was originally supposed to fly a B737-800, and all of a sudden that was changed to a B737-300 (a seating configuration with less seats), then everybody's seats are subject to change without notice.

If a flight is overbooked, elite fliers also have priority when it comes to bumping people.
    Last edited by UMBS Go Blue; 12-11-2010 at 06:30 AM.

vCash
    Funny that a couple of you mention "rude euros" not wanting you to recline their seats. Maybe it's a cultural difference in etiquettte? I fly a lot around Europe, and it's certainly not standard to recline your seat unless it's a long-haul flight. In fact, I'd always presumed this was a big no-no.

The one time a woman in front of me reclined her seat all the way back, the whole two rows around her started giving her death stares and bitching I asked her if she could recline it less far and she put it back up.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    I fly a lot around Europe, and it's certainly not standard to recline your seat unless it's a long-haul flight.
    For me anyway, it was a long-haul flight.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Sitting beside 6' 5" men on two recent flights, I have rethought my position on reclining my seat. Now I look to determine the size of the occupant of the seat behind me before reclining in air. I figure if I can fall asleep sitting up between flights in an airport, I can just as easily fall asleep sitting up straight on the plane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post

The one time a woman in front of me reclined her seat all the way back, the whole two rows around her started giving her death stares and bitching I asked her if she could recline it less far and she put it back up.
    It sounds as though your request was met with politeness. That, for me, would not be rude at all. What is rude is when someone slams back, without checking. Then when you respectfully ask them to PLEASE put it up a bit, you get a tirade that they paid for their seat and they can do as they please. They don't care that you paid for your seat, as well, and that they are making you very uncomfortable. Compromise is a beautiful word

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Compromise is nice, but what happens when the person in front of you has their seat reclined all the way back, and the person in front of them has their seat reclined all the way back, etc., etc., etc.? In that case, the best "compromise" to me is for everyone to recline their seat and make the best of the situation.

Sorry, I'm not willing to be the person who takes one for the entire plane. In many aircrafts, if the seat in front of me is fully reclined and I don't also recline my seat, I will unable to sleep, unable to read or use a laptop without getting a neck strain, even unable to see the TV in front of me, etc., etc. (It does not help that I am far-sighted and get terrible headaches if I hold anything too close to my face.) In other words, I am held hostage in an uncomfortable position for X number of hours while everyone else does what they want. Sorry, ain't happening.

I have some sympathy for the tall or the obese, but you know, we all have issues. People who are so uncomfortable with the seat in front of them reclining have the choice to fly business or first class or on the various airlines that offer more leg room in coach. (Like BittyBug, I am a huge fan of JetBlue.)

If you have a problem with me reclining my seat because the person in front of me did, and the person in front of them did, then suck it, baby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Compromise is nice, but what happens when the person in front of you has their seat reclined all the way back, and the person in front of them has their seat reclined all the way back, etc., etc., etc.? In that case, the best "compromise" to me is for everyone to recline their seat and make the best of the situation.
    That doesn't really work out, though. The last seats, against the back walls, don't recline - so they're screwed.

I have some sympathy for the tall or the obese, but you know, we all have issues. People who are so uncomfortable with the seat in front of them reclining have the choice to fly business or first class or on the various airlines that offer more leg room in coach. (Like BittyBug, I am a huge fan of JetBlue.)
    Or maybe , the reverse, people who expect to stretch out, without regard for anyone else should pay for that priviledge?

If you have a problem with me reclining my seat because the person in front of me did, and the person in front of them did, then suck it, baby.
    It would be the suck it baby that would bother me. But, I don't think you would actually say that.

vCash
    I don't know that I've ever reclined a bus, train or flight seat, unless there was no one behind me. But on some crowded busses, if the seat in front of me is fully reclined, I run the risk of bumping into it during the ride. If it's like that in flights, it sounds like trouble during turbulence.

But the whole excessive carry-on thing pisses me right off. I took a weekend trip without checked luggage because I was worried the airline would lose it, but I still managed to pack in one small bag. Thankfully you were allowed to stow things under the seat in front of you, because there was no room in the overhead for me. I thought it was one overhead per two seats?

I had a long flight back home a few years ago, and the woman beside me took up the entire overhead compartment with multiple items. The flight attendant should have made her move some of her items elsewhere, but instead put my bag near the back of the plane. The man on my other side must have had the same problem, because his huge hard case bag was under the seat in front of us. Only the seat legs were staggered, so that was half of my leg room.

I hate flying, except Porter. I can't believe how good they are to their customers. Free breakfast for a two hour flight, on top of free coffee and fruit in the waiting area pre-flight, comfortable seats and amazing service. But I think they're new-- started in 2006, so that could all go to pot.

vCash
    I wanna travel with genevieve!

We love the same people, hate the same people ... and could swoon over the former and bitch about the latter (including that overly perfumed UMBS Go Blue sitting in front of us ) and chat about reality television the whole darned flight!

Whee!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    I don't know that I've ever reclined a bus, train or flight seat, unless there was no one behind me. But on some crowded busses, if the seat in front of me is fully reclined, I run the risk of bumping into it during the ride. If it's like that in flights, it sounds like trouble during turbulence.
    Usually, if the turbulence becomes an issue, they will request putting your seats up, until it passes. Not that everyone listens, however.

The excessive carry on drives me crazy too. I thought that two pieces was the limit. And, for women a handbag is considered one of them. The only carry on, that I usually take is a garment bag. The soft kind that department stores give you when you buy a men's suit. I put my dresses in them and roll it up so they don't get too wrinkled. I throw in 2 pair of underwear and a toothbrush, in case my luggage is "late". It hardly takes up much room and is flexible. But, I see women carry a handbag, 2 small wheeled bags, totes, etc. They get on and fill an entire compartment, then put their coat and other things in another one (men do it too). Why doesn't the airline enforce their own rules?

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    OT, but after traveling this past week and seeing the number of bags that end up getting checked at the gate; I just wonder, do those people get charged the checked luggage fee that people who check their bags prior get charged as well? I don't see any credit card transactions or whatnot happening. Hell, if that's the case, I'll just keep all my luggage with me, attempt to get on the plane with it, and get my bags checked for no fee!
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    OT, but after traveling this past week and seeing the number of bags that end up getting checked at the gate; I just wonder, do those people get charged the checked luggage fee that people who check their bags prior get charged as well? I don't see any credit card transactions or whatnot happening. Hell, if that's the case, I'll just keep all my luggage with me, attempt to get on the plane with it, and get my bags checked for no fee!
    I am guessing that they get charged on the plane or when they land, so that they don't hold up the flight with people trying to pay for luggage they can't carry on.

Even for luggage checked at check-in, different places do it differently. In Newark, they charged us at the check-in desk, and put the luggage on the belt. In Rome, we checked in, then we had to go to a "pay for extra luggage" counter, then we had to bring the receipt and the luggage to the "checked" luggage area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    I'm assuming it depends on the situation! For instance, I was on a flight from DC to San Francisco, and had a carryon sized bag with me. For teh first leg of the flight, it was fine, but the second leg had a smaller plane, where normal carryon sized bags would no longer fit! In this case, I checked my bag at the gate, but wasn't charged (since it wasn't oversized for a carryon).
    Last edited by mashenka82; 12-11-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    All the flights I've been on (mainly Jetblue and US Air), the people who have to "gate check" their bags never get charged the checked baggage fee.
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast