View Poll Results: What is your viewpoint on the Reclining Seats issue?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rude Rude Rude! Reclining is an invasion of personal space

46 36.22%
  • It's a Right! The button is there for a reason, and by golly I'm gonna use it

53 41.73%
  • Pity you poor people! I'll be in First Class and above all this perfluffle

6 4.72%
  • Peace Love Granola

22 17.32%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    The only time I ever reclined my seat was an overnight flight to London. I started out in the window seat and when I pushed the seat back - maybe halfway, if that much - the guy behind me tapped the seat and asked me not to recline b/c he's tall. I was 18 and didn't want to start anything, so I pushed the seat up. Then my dad decided he wanted the window seat - he took some sleeping med to ensure he'd sleep on the plane and not get jet lag - so we switched and the guy did the same thing when my dad reclined the seat. My dad told him he was entitled to recline his seat (it wasn't even close to being all the way back). Then, near the end of the flight, in the morning, the guy tapped my dad's seat again and asked him not to recline it and how he was 6 feet tall and X pounds - my dad, who does not mince words, lol, told him if he needed more space he should get seats in first class.

I think on an overnight flight, reclining seats is perfectly acceptable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    If those backrests were designed using the shape of an actual human back, I'd love to find out what back dimensions were the model. Because I don't think anyone on earth has a back built that way.
    I'm a short person and the headrests jut out about halfway up my head, so they force my head forward. It's incredibly uncomfortable. I suppose they are supposed to fit the "average" person's neck indentation, but they are way off for me. The only way I can sleep or not get a neck ache is to recline somewhat so that my head is at least vertical and not jammed forward. I wish the seat headrests would simply be flat so that everyone could lean their heads back. Or better yet, have adjustable seats!

vCash
    I will recline a little, enough so that I am not in the practically, leaning forward position of the "up-right". But, I check the person behind me and let them know I am about to put my seat back a little. That way they can adjust and make sure I don't spill what is on their tray table.

I hate it when people in front of me slam their seats back. I am tall and have long legs and my kneecaps get hammered. I especially hate it when a child is in front of me and they are allowed to continuously move their seatback back and forth.

I think we have the right to put out seats back, but we should be aware of other's rights to be comfortable as well. Just be polite and considerate, is my rule.

vCash
    I never recline mine, I like to sit up straight as it makes my back extended and less achy after the flight. At the same time, I don't normally mind the person in front of my reclining the seat unless I'm trying to work with my laptop on the table - don't really enjoy having it slammed into my chest.

vCash
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Sometimes a little, sometimes all the way. I never give it a second thought. And I don't mind if the person in front of me reclines all the way or half way or whatever.

Maybe it's the sampling of this site where so many people actually ask the person behind them, but I have never had anyone in front of me asking me if it's ok to recline. And I travel quite a bit.

vCash
    I don't mind when people recline their seats (I never do, as I prefer to lean forward onto the tray table to rest) but I really appreciate when people LOOK BACK to make sure they aren't being disruptive when they do it. Reclining the seat can make a drink spill, and it can really hurt the person who is leaning forward onto the tray table

If the person looks back, taps me and tells me they are going to recline the seat, I sit up for a moment, let them, and then lay back down.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mashenka82 View Post
    This same friend also told me that her brother in law is really tall (over 6') and when he and her sister travel, the sister tends to tell people sitting in front of them, that they can't recline the seat because he needs his space. *shrug* We both agree that her BIL should purchase an economy upgrade or something (like United offers) because telling people they can't do something like that, when it's within their right, is just not fair!
    In general, I feel like people have the right to recline - but the attitude that anyone who is physically harmed by it (because one size definitely does not fit all in airplanes) should have to buy a more expensive seat or just deal is

I think the biggest problem with recline/no recline is attitude. Flying has become so awful that passengers are looking to retain any semblance of comfort they can...which means people aren't really interested in compromising with their neighbors. The reclined seat in front of you is causing discomfort? Kick the seat or snap at the person who most likely had no idea how they were impacting you. The person behind you asks that you not recline so far? Huffily slam the seat back as far as you can and refuse to change. Both of these things happen all the time.

I think the crapfest that is airline flight also contributes toward peoples' intolerance for crying babies and just about any other annoyance on planes, too.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I think it is a right to recline, but if the person behind you asks you not to do it, then it would be courteous to consider not reclining, especially if you're not trying to get some sleep.

Having said that, I rarely recline because I usually forget to do it. I don't usually sleep on airplanes; I'm reading and listening to music, and none of that requires me to recline my seat. But if it were a longer flight, then it might be a different story.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I answered it was rude, although I wasn't really thinking of long flights when I answered that. I don't really have a problem with it on overseas flights.

I'm amazed at the number of people here who say that they look to see if it's a disruption before reclining, that they ask before reclining, or that they won't do it if someone is working on a laptop. I fly a lot and I have never had anyone show that consideration. Apparently I need to sit behind more FSU people on flights! I'm usually working on my laptop on flights and it is a real disturbance to have someone recline the seat while I'm doing it. I tend to agree with the poster that says that it probably inconveniences the person behind the seat a lot more than it helps the person in front.

That said, I try not to get too upset or annoyed by people who recline. I find it an invasion of my space, but either they don't realize that or there may be legitimate reasons that I don't understand that the reclining feels so much better (I personally see very little benefit to reclining).

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Apparently I need to sit behind more FSU people on flights!
    I'll try to smell nice too. Faintly and subtly so.

And even if I recline all the way (which is never unless on a red-eye or overnight overseas flight), you might have a clear view to Michelle skating vids running on my laptop.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've never been bothered by reclining seats. What bothers me to no end are kids who sit behind me and pound my seat with feet the entire flight. And the parents don't do anything about it. I am parent of a young child too and would never let my kid do that so someone.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    In general, I feel like people have the right to recline - but the attitude that anyone who is physically harmed by it (because one size definitely does not fit all in airplanes) should have to buy a more expensive seat or just deal is
    I'll clarify that this couple is actually really well off (she's a doctor, he's a banker), so paying an extra $50 to upgrade to even Economy plus, is not a big deal.

That said, by no means am I suggesting that anyone should recline and not care if it actually physically hurts the person behind you.

In some ways though, is this not like a situation where overweight passengers have to pay for two seats? I know you can argue that you can lose weight and change being overweight, but still, if you are overweight you have to pay for 2 seats, maybe if you're super tall, you should have to pay a bit extra for an economy plus seat (to me, a $50 fee doesn't seem that bad *shrug*).

vCash
    Is it feasible for airlines to raise the height of the seats? That would allow longer-legged passengers a bit more comfort. I have long legs and a no-good knee and ankle, and am way more comfortable in a higher seat because my legs don't have to be bent up as much.

vCash
    (to me, a $50 fee doesn't seem that bad *shrug*).
    $50? I just checked the tickets I bought for my upcoming vacation, and while I don't really understand the categories, I think the ones that are comprable are "Instant Upgrade" at $886 and "Economy Super Saver" at $149. ("Flexible First" is $1634 and Economy Flexible is $1134). These are just for the first leg of the flight, as American Airlines prices all the legs individually.

Where is the only $50 more coming into play? Is that assuming there are seats available the day of the flight? (ETA: Okay, I see you are talking about buying an upgrade at the counter- if one is available. But $50 usually is only for 500 miles, then the price goes up. Chicago to New York, for instance is 700 miles, so it would be $75/$100 depending on the airline. I rarely see planes that aren't full when I fly out of Chicago, so it's not always an option)

vCash
    In some ways though, is this not like a situation where overweight passengers have to pay for two seats? I know you can argue that you can lose weight and change being overweight, but still, if you are overweight you have to pay for 2 seats, maybe if you're super tall, you should have to pay a bit extra for an economy plus seat (to me, a $50 fee doesn't seem that bad *shrug*).
    Well, "economy plus" is a US thing. Can't think of many Euro lines, if any, that have this policy. BA, maybe?
    Anyhow, I can only recall coming accross it once. For many euro flights now, the choice is between a second class ticket and one that costs 4 or 5 times the price, in business class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    ITA. I'm a short person, and it already makes me uncomfortable when someone reclines. It must be awful for a tall person.

Those who are bothered by recliners can't just buy business or first class. Have you seen how much those tickets cost? When I've traveled on business, including times organizations have flown me out for interviews, they book the seat for you, inevitably in economy class, no upgrades allowed. The most recent interview, they wouldn't even pay for a checked bag.

As for Economy Plus, same situation applies if the organization is footing the bill, and besides, who other than United Airlines lets anyone purchase an upgrade? On US Airways, the cushy seats are reserved for Preferred members.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I've never been bothered by reclining seats. What bothers me to no end are kids who sit behind me and pound my seat with feet the entire flight. And the parents don't do anything about it. I am parent of a young child too and would never let my kid do that so someone.
    Yes, that is the other (opposite) problem with kids. either they spend the flight flipping their seatback into your knees or they kick your seatback. My kids would never have done that either, I'd have stopped them. But I can't tell you how many times I've asked a parent to please stop their child from doing one or the other of those things and I get told that they can do whatever they want.
    Then those same parents will wonder why their kids are such horrors when they grow up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Yes, that is the other (opposite) problem with kids. either they spend the flight flipping their seatback into your knees or they kick your seatback.
    Or they run up and down the aisles screaming.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    I recline the seat just a tiny bit, maybe an inch or so to make it more comfortable. But I had a guy once who reclined his seat waaaay back and my daughter had her head resting on the tray - I had to ask him not to recline so far back and he was fine with it. But that is totally rude to recline all the way back, you're practically on the person's lap behind you.
    In a recent trip, the guy in front of me reclined also all the way back and more. I do not know how he did it but somehow he was able to go even further. I am quite short and the seat was hitting my knees. I ask him very politely to please not to force the seat down. I was ok with him reclining all the way back as the seat normally does. However, I ended being verbally attacked by him and his wife. Well, a couple of hour later, one of the flight attendants noticed that he was way back (yes, it was that noticeable) and he told him that he could not force the seat down. This time he did not say anything and just reclined normally.

After that experience, I always look back and learn that maybe the person behind me needs some space.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Reclining your seat is the same thing as having a seat on the bus or subway when others are standing. It is courteous to offer your seat to an elderly person who cannot tolerate standing as easily as you can. But it is your seat, and you have a "right" to keep it. You can choose to look ill-mannered. Just like you look ill-mannered sitting when someone like that stands, you look ill mannered with a fully reclined seat in the middle of the afternoon flight, especially if there is a tall person behind you.
    You are making the assumption that the person sitting does not need the seat as much as the person standing. Can you do that just by looking at a person? That would be quite a skill - could you see the huge chunk of flesh removed from the back of my leg, the osteopenia in my hip, the damage in my vertebrae? Try not to assume that the 47 year old, 5'3", 115 lb woman does not need a seat. OTOH, my 71 year old FIL still goes skiing, works full time as a carpenter, and plays hockey. He might look like he needs a seat, but he could run circles around me.

I also have to recline my seat periodically during a flight. Not all the way, but I do need to relieve pressure on my back and hip by changing position every now and then. So, even if the jolly green giant was sitting behind me, I'd have to recline, and I'm not going to ask for permission. I'd let the person know, but I'm not asking if I could.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast