Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Miki Ando's (under)appreciation

Lately, I've seen lots and lots of talk about how boring Miki's programs, she is only winning due to the lack of any challenges etc. . .

Does anyone else think that Miki, especially her jumps, are under appreciated? Certainly, I can't think of another lady (other than Yu-Na) at the moment who's jumps are consistently landed and cover that much ice. Also, is she really THAT much below the other top ladies in other areas? Her PCS is not THAT low (I know her PCS scores have been a contested topic).

What do you think?

(disclaimer: I really like Miki, but can understand the criticisms of her)

vCash
    I really liked Miki in her heyday. I just find that now it's a little bit of a letdown that she keeps winning with watered-down content and without making a real effort to try and interpret her music - I'm not disputing her recent wins, I think it just goes to show that ladies skating is not at a highpoint right now. Where her jumps are rock solid I'd also like to see her attempting the 3lz-3lo and 2a-3t more frequently, she is definitely capable of landing those competitions beautifully but recently she has been leaving them out likely b/c she knows she doesn't need them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cx3 View Post
    What do you think?
    I love her jumps. I love what tiny little glimpses I've gotten to see of her personality, and her style. I love how smart she is. I love how solid she is as a competitor, and how classy. I love some of her exhibition numbers, mainly the few where it's obvious she really likes the music and is enjoying herself. I think anyone who posts comments about her physical appearance, positive or negative, is a jerk, and should stop.

I just hate her competitive skating, and for most competitions after she won her WC title, I hate how it is scored, if not necessarily the results.

vCash
    Aside from receiving absurd PCS marks, I also suspect that Ando might be conspiring with her coach / boy friend Morozov to milk her sponsor, Toyota, by often making meaningless changes to her programs and costumes.

I mean, what's the point of changing programs if there are no choreo or transitions in either old or new programs? Only work Morozov has to do is select a new BGM and order another costume. Otherwise, how can anyone build a new program in two weeks between TEB and GPF? But I assume Toyota pays him handsome amount nevertheless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleflutz View Post
    I love her jumps. I love what tiny little glimpses I've gotten to see of her personality, and her style. I love how smart she is. I love how solid she is as a competitor, and how classy. I love some of her exhibition numbers, mainly the few where it's obvious she really likes the music and is enjoying herself. I think anyone who posts comments about her physical appearance, positive or negative, is a jerk, and should stop.

I just hate her competitive skating, and for most competitions after she won her WC title, I hate how it is scored, if not necessarily the results.
    This is exactly how I feel about Miki. She is so likeable as a person and so many other skaters seem to love her but then I see her skating and....

I just want Miki to go back in time and explore the Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence side of herself. It's the only competitive program of hers that I've really liked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Aside from receiving absurd PCS marks, I also suspect that Ando might be conspiring with her coach / boy friend Morozov to milk her sponsor, Toyota, by often making meaningless changes to her programs and costumes.
    I can't believe I'm dignifying this with a response, but are you for real with this shit?

vCash
    I can't believe I'm dignifying this with a response, but are you for real with this shit?
    Rumblefish seems to have a lot of theories about Japanese skaters in general....

Most of them are crazy enough to make me laugh but maybe that's just me...

vCash
    I know it may sound crazy, but how else can you explain their program changes?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vodkashot View Post
    Rumblefish seems to have a lot of theories about Japanese skaters in general....

Most of them are crazy enough to make me laugh but maybe that's just me...
    Oh, don't bring this lame Nationalism crap again. This is an Ando thread hence I just posted a comment.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vodkashot View Post

Actually a FSU member once sent me PMs advising I should not respond to Rumblefish posts, since this person never stops saying nasty and harsh things about Mao and Japan. I think the member was not a Japanese, but he/she said it's meaningless to take Rumblefish's posts seriously and I should not bother to respond to them.

His/her target was Mao before, and now Miki...
    Last edited by galaxy; 12-09-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I think anyone who posts comments about her physical appearance, positive or negative, is a jerk, and should stop.
    So anyone who remarks that Miki is a beautiful young woman is a jerk?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    I often feel Miki is underappreciated as a skater. People seem to pay attention to her jumps, but she has improved on so many other aspects of her skating in the last few years. But then again, everyone likes whoever they want and has their own opinions and we just have to respect that.

As for RumbleFish, I think the best thing we can do is ignore his/her comments.

vCash
    Not really. Peoples general accessment is correct. She is winning only due to the dearth of the field at the moment, and everyone else important being out or injured or falling all over the place. She is skating worse than she did in Vancouver and in Vancouver she was buried by the strength of the skating. She is a long way from her 2007 peak level yet she is winning, it really shouldnt be happening.

And if she **rated by anyone it is overrated by judges due to her reputation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    Actually a FSU member once sent me PMs advising I should not respond to Rumblefish posts, since this person never stops saying nasty and harsh things about Mao and Japan. I think the member was not a Japanese, but he/she said it's meaningless to take Rumblefish's posts seriously and I should not bother to respond to them.

His/her target was Mao before, and now Miki...
    Oh the hypocrisy.. you've done the same thing too and now you're b1tching about her/his post?!!

vCash
    I've always had the feeling that judges were harsh about underrotations with her. Her 3Lz/3Loop was really impressive, and she got so much downgrades.

On the other hand, she is way overrated in PCS. Her posture, choreo, interpretation are not that good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    I often feel Miki is underappreciated as a skater. People seem to pay attention to her jumps, but she has improved on so many other aspects of her skating in the last few years. But then again, everyone likes whoever they want and has their own opinions and we just have to respect that.

vCash
    I think most of the time Miki got marked deservingly. When she won her world title, it was coz both Asada and Kim bomb under pressure and she won barely less than a point over Asada.
    I'm not going to get int GP won because most of the time, GP events are pretty weak and most skaters are still getting into their programs. By world championship many skaters do clean up their acts and up their jumps contents.
    Miki improved a lot in other non jumps elements. She is already over 20s, so you cannot except her to be jumping beams like she used to when she was 15-16 years old.
    Also the judges are always harsh to her when it come to jumps.

vCash
    Say what you want about her skating--she is a lovely person inside and out.

I know I read somewhere that she is the only skater who always wishes her competitors "good luck" before a competition. And, I remember seeing her comforting Mao and wiping away her tears after one of the events when Mao really bombed. That was a really sweet scene.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post

As for RumbleFish, I think the best thing we can do is ignore his/her comments.

Yeah, Miki's posture has gotten so much better and her spins are better this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ponta1 View Post
    Say what you want about her skating--she is a lovely person inside and out.

I know I read somewhere that she is the only skater who always wishes her competitors "good luck" before a competition. And, I remember seeing her comforting Mao and wiping away her tears after one of the events when Mao really bombed. That was a really sweet scene.
    Yep, that's what I like about Miki most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast