View Poll Results: Who is the male version of Miki Ando?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evgeni Plushenko

10 9.80%
  • Evan Lysacek

4 3.92%
  • Brian Joubert

33 32.35%
  • Nobunari Oda

13 12.75%
  • Kevin Van Der Perren

27 26.47%
  • Kevin Reynolds

5 4.90%
  • Michal Brezina

4 3.92%
  • Other - please identify in post

6 5.88%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    She may not be anymore now that she's almost scary thin
    You always have to bring Miki's weight up. Why don't you talk about Christina Gao's weight instead? She's the one who needs to eat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    You always have to bring Miki's weight up. Why don't you talk about Christina Gao's weight instead? She's the one who needs to eat.
    Some people are naturally thin, and some are not. Mao and Yuna (and Christina Gao) are really thin but have always been really thin. Miki used to be much sturdier with a womanly build, and now she's a stick. She wasn't fat before, that was just the way she was built, but now just looking at her face with those sunken in cheeks you can tell that she isn't meant to be so thin. She was also a better jumper before she lost weight. She looks so gaunt now.

Christina Gao is also 16 and just went through a huge growth spurt (9 cm according to her ISU bio), so it's expected she'd be a little gangly.

vCash
    Some people are naturally thin, and some are not. Mao and Yuna (and Christina Gao) are really thin but have always been really thin. Miki used to be much sturdier with a womanly build, and now she's a stick. She wasn't fat before, that was just the way she was built, but now just looking at her face with those sunken in cheeks you can tell that she isn't meant to be so thin. She was also a better jumper before she lost weight. She looks so gaunt now.

Christina Gao is also 16 and just went through a huge growth spurt (9 cm according to her ISU bio), so it's expected she'd be a little gangly.
    Miki's cheeks have always been like that. Sure, Miki has lost some weight in the last few years, but I think it's normal, especially for an athlete. Miki is not "almost scary thin", in my opinion.

As for Christina, well, I think she could use some extra pounds, especially for someone who is still developing.

vCash
    Hmm well back on topic, I thought of another comparable male skater, Ryan Bradley. Except Miki isn't as funny.

vCash
    I voted Joubert, though he has also better footwork sequences IMO.

As for the weight, I don't think she has lost so much in the last years, I think she has also grown in height, and I don't see her so "scary thin".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    I don't think Joubert is the male version of Ando. When Joubert won his world title in 2007 no one could catch up with his jumps. Miki's jumps are OK, but compared to other female skaters she's not a superb jumper.
    Ando in 2006-2007 was definitely one of the strongest jumper. Perhaps, Ito , Slutskaya and Asada of their peaks can match. She landed the 4S in worlds official practices (which the TC warranted good enough to be ratified). You can't compare with someone who even can't do a solo 3loop.

vCash
    Hmm well back on topic, I thought of another comparable male skater, Ryan Bradley. Except Miki isn't as funny.
    you are way off. not even close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    I don't think Joubert is the male version of Ando. When Joubert won his world title in 2007 no one could catch up with his jumps. Miki's jumps are OK, but compared to other female skaters she's not a superb jumper.
    Miki's jumps are just ok? Who else is better jumper than Miki? Miki's one of the very few lady that does all 5 different triples. Her jumps are big and she has no weird technique on any jumps. She is also one of the few ladies who landed two sets of different 3/3s in a program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    She is also one of the few ladies who landed two sets of different 3/3s in a program.
    Be more specific, please.
    I don't remeber watching any lady do a two diffferent sets of triple-triples in a program, not since inception of IJS at least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I don't remeber watching any lady do a two diffferent sets of triple-triples in a program, not since inception of IJS at least.
    She's done a 3lutz/3loop and 3toe/3toe back in 2004..
    Last edited by ks777; 12-09-2010 at 06:55 AM.

vCash
    She's done a 3lutz/3loop and 3toe/3toe back in 2004..
    Thanks for a quick reply.
    Do you have a video link of this? I'd be interested in finding out if her jumps were rotated enough for today’s standards.
    I'd also appreciate it if you let me know which event this took place.

vCash
    Miki's jumps are just ok? Who else is better jumper than Miki?
    In terms of current ability, Yu Na Kim for sure. Possibly even Rochette. And last year Asada. Miki doesnt even do 3-3 combos anymore, atleast ones that are ratified.

vCash
    Thanks for a quick reply.
    Do you have a video link of this? I'd be interested in finding out if her jumps were rotated enough for today’s standards.
    I'd also appreciate it if you let me know which event this took place.
    Watch the 2004 world long program. She did 3Lz+3Lo and 3T+3Lo or (3T+3T) cant remember.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    3T+3Lo or (3T+3T) cant remember.
    It was a 3T+3T.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    In terms of current ability, Yu Na Kim for sure. Possibly even Rochette. And last year Asada. Miki doesnt even do 3-3 combos anymore, atleast ones that are ratified.
    Well, Mao didn't even do a lutz nor salcow last season. At least Miki has done 5 different triples. Plus Miki's techiniques are much better than Mao.

vCash
    Chengjiang Li maybe..

I voted Joubert though.

vCash

vCash
    Then you weren't paying close enough attention.

Shizuka Arakawa and Kimmie Meissner both did 3-3s. Say what you want about theirs being underrotated but at the point and time they competed them, theirs were considered acceptable; with Meissner's under the IJS.

vCash
    I’m not challenging the fact Miki is (and was) a great jumper but I think there is a difference between her and Brian: Joubert was winning because he was the best jumper. Miki won her world title not only because she was ONE of the strongest jumper, but also (and mostly) because her rivals made serious mistakes.

And yes- I think both: Kim and Asada were better jumpers than Ando. Asada could do more difficult jumps and usually her GOE was similar to Ando’s ( she was doing flutz instead of lutz but accoriding to current rules it wasn’t so important), Yuna wasn’t doing 3 loop , but she had two combinations with 3 toe and she was getting the highest GOE for jumps among all ladies.

And I always have an impression they both have better landing positions than Miki: She always lands her jumps with a bit too low back and because of that they don’t look smooth to me.

Moreover Miki is better artist than Brian (maybe not perfect but better) - that’s why I don’t think he’s her “male version”. She’s a specific skater and I know that not everyone likes her (I’m not numbered among fans of her style either) but still I’m far from saying she’s a “terrible skater” or things like that.

And I don’t think she’s too thin- She looks ok to me.

vCash
    Well, Mao didn't even do a lutz nor salcow last season. At least Miki has done 5 different triples. Plus Miki's techiniques are much better than Mao.
    4 different triples but ability to do 3 triple axels in one competition >> having the standard 5 womens triples but not doing any triple-triples (that get ratified)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast