View Poll Results: Who is the male version of Miki Ando?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Evgeni Plushenko

10 9.80%
  • Evan Lysacek

4 3.92%
  • Brian Joubert

33 32.35%
  • Nobunari Oda

13 12.75%
  • Kevin Van Der Perren

27 26.47%
  • Kevin Reynolds

5 4.90%
  • Michal Brezina

4 3.92%
  • Other - please identify in post

6 5.88%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who is the male version of Miki Ando?

There's been a lot of talk about Miki Ando lately and her wins, no connection to the music, jumping lessons, lack of real programs, etc. So I'm curious to see who people think is her male counterpart. I'm gonna say Joubert, but Oda and KVDP get honorable mentions.

vCash
    KVDP. An exceptionally gifted jumper, but not much else. He is much worse than Ando.

vCash
    Yeah I was originally thinking KVDP, but Miki actually manages to win a lot of medals despite her lack of everything else, and Kevin doesn't, which is why I said Joubert. He doesn't have much to offer besides his jumps but he has still managed to earn a lot of medals that way.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Preaubert should be on the list.

vCash
    None of the options were correct, but I voted KVDP as the closest approximation. Clearly Miki is Jan Hoffmann, though: wonderful jumper, terrible skater, fabulous human being.

vCash
    I usually refer to Brandon Mroz as the male version of Miki Ando when I talk to casual fans who only watch figure skating during the Olympics. They laugh at first but after watching his programs, soon understand why such prestigious title is appropriate for him.

vCash
    I have to say my first thought, even before I saw the choices, was KVDP, though, of course, the comparison is not perfect. But they are both big jumpers, who land heavily on the ice. Miki completes hers more regularly.

Wherever the beautiful and artistic male skaters are! :-D
    vCash
    The very first skater I thought of when I read the title of this poll is Mroz. Whenever his performance is shown on the CBC, I have a really hard time staying awake.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    which is why I said Joubert. He doesn't have much to offer besides his jumps but he has still managed to earn a lot of medals that way.
    I'm not a fan of Joubert by any means, but I admit that he's very entertaining when he skates to techno music, so over-all, I'd say that he doesn't deserve to be equated with Ando's level of blandness. But that's just my opinion, of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I usually refer to Brandon Mroz as the male version of Miki Ando when I talk to casual fans who only watch figure skating during the Olympics. They laugh at first but after watching his programs, soon understand why such prestigious title is appropriate for him.
    Mroz hasn't had the success that Ando has though, although he is young and potentially could in the future. Also, his jumps are small, just consistent, so he's more like Rachael Flatt IMO. The comparison with Preaubert is interesting but again, what man has won a world medals (including a title), GP medals, GPF medals, and national medals through jumping and not much else. I still say Joubert. Oda can be pretty boring too at times.

vCash
    Mroz hasn't had the success that Ando has though, although he is young and potentially could in the future.
    I think this thread is more about a skater who goes from one jump to the next with little to zero ability to relate to the music and not so much about how many titles one has won. In this sense I can see Mroz as being the equivalent of a Miki Ando.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I think this thread is more about a skater who goes from one jump to the next with little to zero ability to relate to the music and not so much about how many titles one has won. In this sense I can see Mroz as being the equivalent of a Miki Ando.
    Well, in that respect, Mroz makes sense. When I created the thread I was thinking more, what male skater goes from one jump to the next without trying to relate the music and still has racked up a lot of impressive medals. I guess it just goes to show how weak the ladies event generally is in the jumping department.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Preaubert should be on the list.
    You're kidding, right? Of all, Preaubert? Did you watch any of his programs recently or even pre-2008? He may seriously lack basic skills compared to others, but "no connection to the music" or "lack of real programs"? Boy, I do want what you're smoking.

vCash
    Timothy Goebel and non other!!

vCash
    I don't think Joubert is the male version of Ando. When Joubert won his world title in 2007 no one could catch up with his jumps. Miki's jumps are OK, but compared to other female skaters she's not a superb jumper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    I don't think Joubert is the male version of Ando. When Joubert won his world title in 2007 no one could catch up with his jumps. Miki's jumps are OK, but compared to other female skaters she's not a superb jumper.
    In 2007 when she won worlds, she was, are you kidding? She may not be anymore now that she's almost scary thin but in 2006-2007 she was a jumping machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grYoQfnCHHc
    70+ for TES, enough said.

vCash
    Other. She reminds me of Johnny Weir in the last couple of years. Empty Choreography, lackluster skating, and solid jumps.

And Johnny used to be interesting in the good old days...

vCash
    In 2007 she was a great jumper, but she wasn't better than Yuna & Mao meanwhile Brian's jumps were the best among all men.

Hmm... 2007 WC wasn't a good example because his FS wasn't even first, but he proved with his FS from CoC that he's the best jumper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extranjera View Post
    In 2007 she was a great jumper, but she wasn't better than Yuna & Mao meanwhile Brian's jumps were the best among all men.
    True. But in 2007 we had some of the strongest ladies jumpers ever competing at Worlds, Yuna, Mao and Miki are all exceptional in the jumping department - or were in 2007.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice9 View Post
    Other. She reminds me of Johnny Weir in the last couple of years. Empty Choreography, lackluster skating, and solid jumps.

And Johnny used to be interesting in the good old days...
    I thought Johnny's programs last season were interesting and beautiful.

vCash
    True. But in 2007 we had some of the strongest ladies jumpers ever competing at Worlds, Yuna, Mao and Miki are all exceptional in the jumping department - or were in 2007.
    you're right pinky, you're right

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast