Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Duck Hunter
    vCash
    My nieces (5 and 3) say "actually" constantly.. it's quite funny. My mom will say something to them and they'll say "actually Nana..." They crack me up lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    It bugs me that impact has been "verbed" into impacted and has essentially replaced affected.

(I use "really" way too much)
    Me, too. As for overused words, "literally" and "random" make me grit my teeth.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilia A View Post
    Actually () this reminds me of something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFN9LuPgC0

Watch starting at 8:50 until the end.
    OMG, I love Top Model and totally forgot about that, hilarious!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Me, too. As for overused words, "literally" and "random" make me grit my teeth.
    Add virtually to that list for me.

vCash
    My current most disliked locution is "and whatnot" -- especially when repeated 7 or 8 times in as many sentences. I hear it used by local athletes in interviews all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I hear ya'. The word usage that has driven me crazy over the years is "awesome." Especially because it's a great word that is incorrectly used. Oh, well.
    I feel like I overuse almost everything that has been mentioned in this thread!! Now I'm wondering if I ever say anything of substance, ha.

Last year I was on a quest to replace "awesome". I felt like I used it so much that it lost its "awesomeness" and didn't convey "awesomeness" like I wanted it to. I still haven't found a replacement and I am really self-conscious when I use it.

The word that irks me is "literally". It would be pretty bad if half the things people say "literally" happened to them ACTUALLY (lol) happened.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I had a supervisor once who was trying to wean herself from saying 'basically' all the time. This was in '94 so I don't think it's a new thing.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    The word that irks me is "literally". It would be pretty bad if half the things people say "literally" happened to them ACTUALLY (lol) happened.
    What it means when you say "literally"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    Thank you! I LITERALLY laughed out loud.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    My current most disliked locution is "and whatnot" -- especially when repeated 7 or 8 times in as many sentences. I hear it used by local athletes in interviews all the time.
    I have a bad habit of saying "etc" and "and whatnot" at the end of sentences lol

vCash
    Actually () this reminds me of something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFN9LuPgC0

Watch starting at 8:50 until the end.
    Seriously??? So actually, you posted this to basically drive us crazy and whatnot?

vCash
    Seriously? No. I actually only basically posted this so you basically could actually see how some people basically like totally misuse the word actually

(I understand that my statement above doesn't make much grammatical sense, but neither do those two girls in the video)

vCash
    Seriously? No. I actually only basically posted this so you basically could actually see how some people basically like totally misuse the word actually

(I understand that my statement above doesn't make much grammatical sense, but neither do those two girls in the video)
    My favorite part was when Tyra when all batsh*t crazy on that girl. The "actually" thing was really funny, too.

This reminded me of my 7th grade Spanish teacher, but his thing to say over and over was "uh". We used to make tallies when we were bored!

vCash
    I used to use forms of the word 'ridiculous' constantly. I have no idea why that particular word.

I really, really hate when people end every sentence with "You know what I mean?" Yes, yes I do. No need to ask me constantly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post

When he was around 11, my nephew discovered the word "literally" and used it wrong in every other sentence he spoke. He would inform us, for example, that he "could LITERALLY eat a ton of food". It made me crazy!

Lots of students used it incorrectly as well. I was constantly explaining to them that they really meant "figuratively".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post

I really, really hate when people end every sentence with "You know what I mean?" Yes, yes I do. No need to ask me constantly.
    I have a friend who did that. It drove me crazy and finally I told her so. Now she ends every other sentence with "You follow me?"
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I can't stand when people finish a sentence with ", you know?" Drives me to the brink of madness, I tell ya!
    Or OK? what if it isn't OK with me. As in, I am going to the store, OK?

My husband uses "like" all the time - and he certainly isn't a valley girl or young adult. I agree with most of the other words listed - whatnot, basically, literally, although I guilty of using them.

add to the list phenomenal - I worked with someone whose favorite word was PHENoMENAL (she would scream the cap letters).

vCash
    After one episode of How I Met Your Mother last year, I realized that I say 'but, ummm' a lot. In the show, it's said a lot by Robin, an anchor on a morning show, and college students have turned her constant 'but, ummm'ing into a drinking game.

vCash
    You know what word is really overused? Epic!

The word is thrown out so much nowadays for every little thing when the word that should be used is 'cool' or something along those lines. A lot of teens tend to use it, I've noticed. I've seen it a lot on YouTube channels as well.

It really bugs me because most things just aren't epic.

vCash
    The words "like" and "whatever" are the most annoying according to a poll.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyl...-1225971318605
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast