Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Basically, I am wondering what's basically up with the word basically

At first I just thought it was my husband. Every other sentence, the word "basically" was sneaking in. Then I started hearing my bosses saying it. Heard it on the train. Basically (ha ha) everywhere. It reminds me of when everyone (including me) was a Valley Girl and said "like" about 100 times a day. Does anyone know where this comes from? It's driving me insane!

I listened to this very nice young man and his male friend while walking home from skating tonight. He was discussing his girlfriend and why she was "the one." She "basically" is really nice and "basically" is "the one" and he really cared about her but "basically" the 90% good versus the 10% bad (basically, she's too "straight" (i.e., goody goody)) basically outweighed the bad. OMG!

Is this a TV thing? Though I watch a lot more TV than the hubby and am not hearing it on any shows I watch! Oh my gosh! is my pet peeve there, LOL.

vCash
    Nah there are lots of words that get overused. I find I use "actually" a lot and have to intervene on myself from time to time.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I listen to a radio show every morning and have noticed that when people call in they use the word "actually" a zillion times. And actually its not actually correct usage of the word actually It actually drives me crazy!!

vCash
    I hear ya'. The word usage that has driven me crazy over the years is "awesome." Especially because it's a great word that is incorrectly used. Oh, well.

vCash
    "Exactly" in excess drives me nuts.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I can't stand when people finish a sentence with ", you know?" Drives me to the brink of madness, I tell ya!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Well, basically , I think lots of people are guilty of having that one word that they overuse/abuse. For me, it's "totally", and I'm totally trying to break myself of it. No, seriously, I really do notice that I overuse that word and am trying to quit. It just becomes habit, to the point that you don't even notice you're doing it!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Stuff. I say "stuff like that" too much. Had to police myself to keep from using it in the work context when it is not a very useful description.

Basically hasn't caught on in my circles yet. Phew.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Well, like, you know, basically, all those overused words are actually like fillers, you know?

It's sometimes easier for folks to use "filler" words while they're attempting to express themselves verbally and stuff.

My Uncle used to stutter horribly. He went to some language guru (and I use that word very loosely) who gave him a handy tip of using a filler phrase to prevent the stutter. That was years ago. And, you know something? It worked! Now all these years later, my Uncle Joe still throws "and everything and all" at the beginning, middle and end of every sentence or comment that comes out of his mouth! He's been cured!!!

O-

vCash
    A bit different, yet a word gripe to me is the word 'extraordinary'. To me, the parts of the word mean that whatever you're referring to is extremely regular (extra ordinary) but it's instead used to refer to something that is outstanding.

vCash
    Sounds like we have a help group going on here for overused words.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Mine is "absolutely"! I'm addicted to that word worse than an OES to illusion fabric!

vCash
    I use 'like' quite a bit. Also, 'or whatever' and 'or something'.

But the big one for me is 'and stuff'. I know I say it too much and I'm trying to stop using it so often. I'm very aware of it to the point that it actually annoys me. I'll be talking about something I did or saw and at the end I'll throw in 'and stuff'. I guess it's nothing more than another phrase or whatever for etc.

I think 'actually' is my 9 year old nephew's favorite word. He says it a lot.
    Last edited by Cloudy_Gumdrops; 12-08-2010 at 06:00 AM.

vCash
    Actually () this reminds me of something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFN9LuPgC0

Watch starting at 8:50 until the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilia A View Post
    Actually () this reminds me of something:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFN9LuPgC0

Watch starting at 8:50 until the end.

vCash
    Yeah people use basically way too much.

Another word that drives me nuts lately is "super." So many adults use it now, and it makes them sound like 5 yr olds. "Wow! I'M SUPER EXCITED!" Ok thanks, Cindy Brady.

vCash
    I remember a few years ago everyone was using "Seriously?"

Re-registered User
    vCash
    It bugs me that impact has been "verbed" into impacted and has essentially replaced affected.

(I use "really" way too much)
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I caught myself on the basically train a few months ago. I had to give a speech to a group of business people in honor of my boss. I wasn't planning on giving the speech, as someone else was supposed to be there.

I started the speech with, "So basically..." I heard it coming out of my mouth and wanted to die.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    A bit different, yet a word gripe to me is the word 'extraordinary'. To me, the parts of the word mean that whatever you're referring to is extremely regular (extra ordinary) but it's instead used to refer to something that is outstanding.
    "extra" as a standalone adjective means extremely or more than usual.

But "extra-" as a prefix means outside of (beyond).

extraordinary = outside of/beyond the ordinary
    extraterrestrial = beyond the terrestrial
    extramarital = outside of marriage

etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast