Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash

time to confess: do you skip ahead when you read

I must admit I skip to the end in, like, every book. I feel for being such a bad reader but resistance is futile.

vCash
    Yes, sometimes if I feel like the ending is heading towards an eyerolling ending. I'm glad I skipped to the end of the Time Traveler's Wife. Stopped reading it after I read the ending

vCash
    I do too. (I also read spoilers for TV shows and movies. Self-control: I do not have it.) I tend to reread books I really like anyhow, so knowing the ending isn't a dealbreaker for me.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    Yes, sometimes if I feel like the ending is heading towards an eyerolling ending. I'm glad I skipped to the end of the Time Traveler's Wife. Stopped reading it after I read the ending
    I'm so happy someone else is saying they put that book down. I did the same thing. What I did get through, I found creepy. I felt like he was manipulating a child then teenager and the relationship was wrong on many levels. Not romantic.

What I have learned is if I am wanting to skip ahead, it's not a very good book and I might as well just give up reading it. This is new. I used to be the person who finished any book I started no matter how dreary and boring I found it to be. I have only liberated myself from that in the last few years and it is refreshing.

vCash
    Yes, especially if the book is bad. Most of the time I never pick it up again... But I do read my favorite books many times.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Yes, I almost always look at the end of the book. I can't help it.

vCash
    I definitely did in graduate school. When I had to get through a 500 page book in a night, I would have to skim and skip quite a bit.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Sometimes I do early on in the book, sometimes I check when much later just to see if my predicted ending is likely. Most often than not, I don't check endings but the fact that I do some of the time is something that has developed in my reading in say, about the last 5 or so years. I never used to check endings prior to that.
    Good question.
    Crazy about sports!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    nope! as any followers of reality competition threads know, I hate being spoiled

I do occasionally flip forward to see how many pages until the end of a chapter (I often read before falling asleep) but I try to not read even a single word while doing it
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I do occasionally flip forward to see how many pages until the end of a chapter (I often read before falling asleep) but I try to not read even a single word while doing it
    Same here. I don't often reread books (I have way too many for that) so I don't care for spoilers.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I would typically skip all over a book when I was a kid. Finally made myself break the habit. Although at times, if I hit a boring patch, I'll flip just a little ahead to see if things are going to liven up again.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I don't read ahead, but I love to be spoiled when it comes to movies, tv or sports.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    Never. I used to as a pre-teen/teen... back when I went through a tragic period during which school made reading not enjoyable for me. (Loved reading when I was young... but then being forced to read and take stupid multiple choice tests came close to killing that love)

Sometimes I don't even read the back of the book because I want to be surprised. (I usually read it when I originally decide to read the book, but by the time I actually read it, I've usually forgotten some of the details )

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Same here- I read a lot in bed at night, but at other times I may have something to do and need to decide if I have enough time to finish the chapter.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I frequently sneak a peak ahead because I love being spoiled but rarely skip altogether.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Same here. I don't often reread books (I have way too many for that) so I don't care for spoilers.
    I do re-read books sometimes - even whodunnits! - but the first time I don't want to know where the story is heading. There are books I've been interested in and decided not to read because someone told me the ending - same thing with movies.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I always skip ahead. Mostly to see if I'd figured the plot correctly. Sadly, I usually do as plotting has given way to character development in fiction. It seems very few writers can actually do both.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

I know a place...
    vCash
    I always skip ahead. I've done it since I started reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys novels when I was around 6 or 7. I never got out of the habit. I'm also very fond of spoilers. In movies, tv shows, and figure skating. I find I actually enjoy skating more when I know the results. Less stressing about how my favourites are doing lol.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I only skip ahead occasionally. If it's very late in the evening (1-2 am), I'll skip to the back in an attempt to make myself stop reading. If it's a bad book, I'll read the ending and skip the middle.

I read 3/4 of A Fine Balance, but then when it seemed like all the characters I'd grown to care about were about to have very bad things happen to them, I read the last few chapters and put the book aside because I couldn't bear to read it anymore.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I must admit I skip to the end in, like, every book. I feel for being such a bad reader but resistance is futile.
    If you mean any king of writing, then yes, I skip if it contains the information I already know (in news articles or tech materials).

In creative literature, or opinions, or commentary – NEVER! Whatever is written there has a purpose and intends to create an effect. You can’t get a full picture if you don’t read it all.

It’s not about “the ending”.

Writing is an art form, and every word is a brush-stroke and an element of that art work.

vCash
    All the time. I read the beginning of a book, then I skip to the end, and if it's a book I'm enjoying I go back and read the middle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast