Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    The 'perfect' recipe is pretty close to Habs. Mine calls for a sweet sliced onion added to the crockpot - they come out so incredibly tender it's to die for.

Now - who has an idea what I can do with 2 sheets of puff pastry? I went on a buying binge at Trader Joe's yesterday.
    Strangely enough, I see slow-cooked ribs at holiday parties. . I need to get invited somewhere.

Can you get some brie and wrap the puff pastry around it and bake it in the oven for a few minutes? I love that myself.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Strangely enough, I see slow-cooked ribs at holiday parties. . I need to get invited somewhere.

Can you get some brie and wrap the puff pastry around it and bake it in the oven for a few minutes? I love that myself.
    I just saw the equivalent of this in a Crescent Pillsbury Roll recipe on a tv commercial (Food Channel, I think). It looked heavenly.

Does anyone have a good homemade dinner roll recipe? Before she died, mother used to make the best homemade dinner rolls. They were kind of sweet. My dad threw away the recipe when he moved (by accident) and my sister has been trying to recreate it, but with no luck. Baking is not my thing--I have never been good at it. My idea of the perfect Xmas recipe is eggnog poured on top of vanilla ice cream (I don't drink, so no liquor). I can't wait to get a glass!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    snip [B]Cranberry Brie Puffs[/B
    These sound amazing! Think I'll be making them after a run back to Trader Joe's for Brie and fresh cranberries. I've only got dried cranberries here (use it in my oatmeal cookies and apple cake).

I'm going to a cookie party on Sunday. They're getting my famous (in this house ) peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies. I'm thinking of wearing a dress, that way I can eat more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Does anyone have a good homemade dinner roll recipe? Before she died, mother used to make the best homemade dinner rolls. They were kind of sweet. My dad threw away the recipe when he moved (by accident) and my sister has been trying to recreate it, but with no luck.
    Look at this nice blog for a detailed recipe for Parker House rolls. http://lookimadethat.com/

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I'm going to a cookie party on Sunday. They're getting my famous (in this house ) peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies. I'm thinking of wearing a dress, that way I can eat more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    I just saw the equivalent of this in a Crescent Pillsbury Roll recipe on a tv commercial (Food Channel, I think). It looked heavenly.

Does anyone have a good homemade dinner roll recipe? Before she died, mother used to make the best homemade dinner rolls. They were kind of sweet. My dad threw away the recipe when he moved (by accident) and my sister has been trying to recreate it, but with no luck. Baking is not my thing--I have never been good at it. My idea of the perfect Xmas recipe is eggnog poured on top of vanilla ice cream (I don't drink, so no liquor). I can't wait to get a glass!
    You mother might have made potato rolls. They are a little sweeter than regular Parker House type. You should be able to get a recipe off the internet. My sister makes them & our whole family prefers them to other dinner rolls.

vCash
    I have a recipe at home for a sweet roll that my Mom used to make for holidays. It was a yeast dough that would rise and she would break it into three little balls per roll, knead them, and place in a greased cupcake pan or cookie sheet, I forget which. But they were absolutely delicious. If I find it later, I will post it here.

I may even surprise her this year and make them myself. I have the recipe, but never made them, and she doesn't do breads anymore.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I'll have to print out that Hot Punch from a Coffee Maker recipe, as it looks pretty easy to do and fool proof.

Here's an old Family Recipe that makes never fail Fluffy Biscuits...

Fluffy Biscuits

2 Cups Flour

4 teaspoons Baking Powder

1/2 Cup Shortening

3/4 C Ginger Ale***

Mix all together in a bowl until well combined. Turn out on to floured surface and cut out (We use a tomato paste can and it makes perfectly sized ones). Put on ungreased baking sheet and put into a 450 degree oven for 10 minutes or nicely browned.

***We've used Sprite and 7Up over the years, and while they work, you don't get the flavor that you do w/Canada Dry or Ginger Ale.

Enjoy!!

vCash
    Instead of taking the cookies to the party, I'm taking this... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/n...ipe/index.html

So far, it smells fabulous.

vCash
    Thursday night the officers made Christmas fudge and truffles for the command. The captain has her own recipes and she made dark chocolate, peanut butter chocolate and white chocolate peanut butter swirl....my diet has gone the way of my virginity, I'm afraid....

vCash
    Well, I found the recipe for the sweet rolls that Mom used to make. It's not perfectly clear, but I remember her breaking the dough into little balls and putting three for each roll pressing lightly together to form sort of a clover shape. They were very good!

1/2 c milk
    1/2 c sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 c margarine or shortening
    1/2 c warm water for 2 pkg dry yeast
    2 eggs, beaten
    5 c flour

Scald milk, stir in sugar, salt, and shortening. Let it cool. Dissolve yeast with 1/2 c. warm water (don't know the temp) into large bowl. Add milk mixture to the yeast mixture. Add beaten eggs and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Add the rest of the flour gradually. After all mixed, knead about 8-10 minutes. Let rise for 2 hours. Shape into the 3 balls for each roll. Then bake into 375 degrees.

vCash
    Eggnog Cheesecake
    Ingredients
    1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    2 tablespoons white sugar
    3 tablespoons butter, melted

3 8oz packages of cream cheese, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 cup eggnog
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon of rum extract
    1 pinch of ground nutmeg

Directions
    Preheat oven to 325 Degrees F.
    In a small bowl combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar & butter. Press into bottom of pie pan. Place on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, cool.
    In a large bowl beat cream cheese, sugar & flour until smooth. Add eggs. Then gradually stir in eggnog, extract & nutmeg. Pour mixture into cooled crust.
    Place pie into larger baking pan & add 1 inch water to larger pan.
    Bake at 325 degrees F. for 45-50 minutes or until center is set & top appears dull.
    Remove pan from water bath and cool for 10 minutes before refrigerating overnight before serving.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Another punch recipe:

Spiced Cider Punch

1 cup sugar
    2 quarts apple cider or juice, divided
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 can (12 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
    1 quart ginger ale, chilled

Directions
    In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, 1 cup cider, cinnamon and allspice. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; add orange juice concentrate and remaining cider. Cool. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

Just before serving, transfer to a punch bowl; stir in ginger ale. Yield: 13 servings (about 3 quarts).

You can serve this warm or cold (I like it better warm, but it's good either way). One of my BILs describes it as liquid pumpkin pie.

Not specifically a Christmas-y drink, but nice when it's cold (very sweet, in case you don't like sweet drinks):

Scotch Creams

2 cups milk
    1/2 cup cream
    1/3 cup honey
    1 cup scotch whiskey
    ground nutmeg to taste

Combine milk, cream and honey and warm until very hot but NOT boiling.
    Stir in Scotch and sprinkle with nutmeg. Makes four (more or less) servings.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    The peanut butter cup cheesecake was pretty good, but I'd lower the crust recipe and add more cream cheese next time. People loved it, but I wasn't impressed. But it was easy to make and I had a blast pulling out the food processor and trying different blades and cup sizes...

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Has anyone here ever made those no bake oreo balls? You crumble up the oreos and mix with cream cheese then form into balls that you coat in chocolate. I read that people make similar treats but with crumbled up cake instead of the oreos. I had this idea of doing a red velvet cake and crumbling that up with the cream cheese mixed in. Then I will get some green food coloring and add it to my white chocolate so you have green on the outside and red in the middle. Christmas balls! You could even decorate them if you wanted to get really into it to make them look like ornaments or something! I think I may try this tonight.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Has anyone here ever made those no bake oreo balls? You crumble up the oreos and mix with cream cheese then form into balls that you coat in chocolate. I read that people make similar treats but with crumbled up cake instead of the oreos. I had this idea of doing a red velvet cake and crumbling that up with the cream cheese mixed in. Then I will get some green food coloring and add it to my white chocolate so you have green on the outside and red in the middle. Christmas balls! You could even decorate them if you wanted to get really into it to make them look like ornaments or something! I think I may try this tonight.
    Brian, a coworker of mine was looking for the recipe; oh heck I'll go get it; wait the internet is giving me fits..

to to allrecipes.com

and ingredient list type in

oreos

cream cheese

and it will appear!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Thanks, skatemommy, but I know how to make them! I was just offering an idea for something fun to do for anyone still looking for ideas. I went and got all the stuff to make cake balls and I came up with another fun touch. I bought a package of mini candy canes and I will stick on into each cakeball so it will be like a cakeball lollipop with a Christmas twist.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ Reminds me of an episode of Iron Chef America: the challenging chef made a chocolate fudge with velveeta (!), formed it into balls, stuck them on sticks, dipped them in caramel, then white chocolate, then nuts. I slipped into a diabetic coma just watching it!

vCash
    Stick to the oreo balls. I don't care for the cake balls very much. A little too mushy of a texture for my liking and it doesn't taste the same as a bite of cake topped with icing. Mixing them together doesn't translate like you would think. I might remake all of them tomorrow with the oreo and cream cheese mixture and stick in the candy canes. Waste of time and money but there was only one way to find out.
    -Brian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast