Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Christmas Recipes

Does anyone have any Christmas recipes they'd like to share?

Particularly looking for vegetarian, snack, and slow cooker recipes, but meat and others would be used too. Healthy is good!

Also, any apple cider recipes? I've got one in the slow cooker as I type, but it's a fake one (apple juice, whole cloves, nutmeg and cinnamon sticks). Any other drinks?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Good thread! We are hosting our Christmas party this weekend. Maybe I can get something nice off of here. I have nothing to offer, sorry, lol
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Not sure how healthy it is, but I love this crockpot stuffing... http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/slow-c...-2/Detail.aspx You can use veggie broth instead of chicken broth to make it totally vegetarian. Oh, and I omitted the eggs, they seemed odd to add to stuffing.

My favorite recipe in a crockpot is actually ribs - I have a fall off the bone recipe that's absolutely I use the cheapest cut of ribs and they're better than you can get in a restaurant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    My favorite recipe in a crockpot is actually ribs - I have a fall off the bone recipe that's absolutely I use the cheapest cut of ribs and they're better than you can get in a restaurant.
    Can you post it? I've never actually eaten ribs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Good thread! We are hosting our Christmas party this weekend. Maybe I can get something nice off of here. I have nothing to offer, sorry, lol
    If you want a quick appetizer:
    http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipe...es-107613.aspx

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I love this recipe for special occasions and it is so easy!

2 pounds (910 grams) fresh shrimp (12-15 shrimp per pound)
    1 tablespoon (15 ml) good olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 F. degrees (200-205 c.)
    Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place on a large sheet pan and coat with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
    Roast for 8 to 10 minutes (usually less is better) until shrimp are pink and firm to the touch.

Serve with your favorite cocktail or dipping sauce.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    I have a great punch recipe:

1 - 2.1 Quart (2 Liter) Bottle of Ginger Ale
    1 - 2.1 Quart (2 Liter) Bottle of Lemon Sour
    1 - 2.1 Quart (2 Liter) Bottle of Charged (Sparkling) Water (NOT TONIC WATER)
    2 pints Orange Sherbert
    2 pints Pinneaple Sherbert

Make sure the bottles of Ginger Ale, Lemon Sour & Charged Water are very cold. Pour into a punch bowl, then spoon the sherbert on top. I then use the scoop to pour the liquid over the sherbert.

It gets very foamy, but that settles down quickly.

This is a very pretty & refreshing punch.

And for adult parties, you can an a pint of vodka. (or more if you like)
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    This is the best little hors d'oeuvre I've ever had. Mouth waters thinking of it.

Brett's Heavenly Little Tarts
    Put an 11 ounce log of plain goat cheese in food processor along with 3 heaping tablespoons of good mango chutney. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides once to fully incorporate the chutney. Then taste and add a judicious additional amount of chutney if needed to achieve a balanced flavor, with neither ingredient dominating. Good, isn't it?

Melt a tablespoon of butter in a small pan and add half a cup of pecans, broken into large pieces with your fingers. Toast the pecans in the butter, watching so that it doesn't scorch, then add half a teaspoon of salt and two teaspoons of sugar or honey. Continue toasting until mixture is golden brown and looks and smells good and everything is incorporated.

Phyllo cups are available in frozen foods section of grocery store, under Greek-themed brand names. Sixteen or so in a package? Put them on a small baking sheet and fill each about half way with the goat-mango mixture. Top with pecans.

Place in 350 degree oven for about ten minutes, just to mellow and warm them up. Serve warm or at room temp. This recipe will make about 32. You could bring the cheese mixture and pecans separately in containers, along with the phyllo cups and assemble these on site at a party.

You may have some left over goat-mango mixture. Here's a good thing to do with it. Saute boneless chicken breasts in mixture of butter and olive oil, say five minutes on each side, and get them nicely browned. Then transfer to a broiler pan, smear the top with the goat-mango mixture and run under the broiler, watching carefully, to brown the mixture and finish cooking.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Easy no-bake cookies: Oatmeal chocolate peanutbutter.

Boil for 2 mins:
    2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 lb. butter, dash of salt.

In a bowl, pour boiled liquid mixture over below ingredients and mix well.
    3 cups oatmeal
    3 tbsp. cocoa
    1/2 cup peanut butter

Spoon a preferred cookie size onto wax paper and cool completely.

Of all the cookies I make for X-Mas, the kids(nieces and nephs) have these gone before anything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    You may have some left over goat-mango mixture.
    I'm adding that to my list of Things I Never Thought I Would Hear Anyone Say.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Here's a favourite of mine -- so simple, but so effective.

Holiday Pinwheels (aka Grinch Rolls)

1 pkg (170 g) dried cranberries
    1 tub (250 g) spreadable cream cheese, room temp.
    1 cup (250 g) crumbled feta cheese
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    4 large tortillas (pref. spinach/green)

Combine all ingredients except tortilllas, mix well. Divide and spread mixture evenly among tortillas. Roll up tightly, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least one hour. Or freeze. To serve, cut into 12 slices.

Notes: original recipe called for Craisins but I prefer the unsweetened dried cranberries. I also usually reduce the feta to about 2/3 cup, as I find it very salty.

These are quite rich, so a few with some salad or soup makes a good lunch. And of course they're great party appetiezers.

Recipe originally from Ocean Spray.

-------

Do you want any vegetarian entree recipes? The two ones I make every Christmas are vegetarian tourtière (a "meat" pie) and tofurkey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I'm adding that to my list of Things I Never Thought I Would Hear Anyone Say.
    But it's goat cheese. Big difference!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Can you post it? I've never actually eaten ribs.
    There are dozens and dozens of slow-cooked ribs recipes on the internet. Almost too many.

vCash
    Hot Holiday punch (made in a perculator) you can double or triple if you have a large urn

For every 10 cups of hot punch:

5 cups Cranberry juice
    5 cups pineapple juice

Put in the well of the perculator

Put the following in the perculator basket:

1/3 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    2 or 3 thin lemon slices with 1-2 whole cloves inserted into the rinds

Perk as you would coffee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    There are dozens and dozens of slow-cooked ribs recipes on the internet. Almost too many.
    My favourite slow-cooked ribs recipe is the easiest EVER.

Season the ribs with seasoned salt & pepper. Roast in the oven on a baking sheet for 90 minutes at 200.
    Remove from oven and place in slow cooker. Cover with an entire bottle of your favourite barbecue sauce.
    Cook on low for a few hours (5-6) and you're all set!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    But it's goat cheese. Big difference!
    I know. It just gave me a chuckle.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    My favourite slow-cooked ribs recipe is the easiest EVER.

Season the ribs with seasoned salt & pepper. Roast in the oven on a baking sheet for 90 minutes at 200.
    Remove from oven and place in slow cooker. Cover with an entire bottle of your favourite barbecue sauce.
    Cook on low for a few hours (5-6) and you're all set!
    That is pretty much what I do with slow-cooker ribs. Hmmmm, sounds like the perfect thing to make this Saturday...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    The 'perfect' recipe is pretty close to Habs. Mine calls for a sweet sliced onion added to the crockpot - they come out so incredibly tender it's to die for.

Now - who has an idea what I can do with 2 sheets of puff pastry? I went on a buying binge at Trader Joe's yesterday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Now - who has an idea what I can do with 2 sheets of puff pastry? I went on a buying binge at Trader Joe's yesterday.
    OOh, so many ideas, but my fave:

Blind bake until brown. Top with sliced figs & crumbled goat (goat cheese! LOL). Drizzle with balsamic reduction. Bung under the broiler until the cheese is hot & bubbly. Mmmmm!

Or, if you prefer an "actual recipe" ...

Cranberry Brie Puffs

Half of a 397 mL package frozen puff pastry (1 block)
    1 cup (250 mL) fresh cranberries
    ¼ cup (50 mL) water
    3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar
    ¼ cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour, for flouring work surface
    6 oz (175 g) brie, rinds removed, cut into 24 equal pieces

Thaw pastry at room temperature for about 1 hour or until soft enough to roll out.

Preheat oven to 400ºF (200ºC).

Put the cranberries, water and sugar in a small saucepan. Cook, covered, over high heat for about 2 to 3 minutes or until cranberries have popped. Remove lid and stir to mash with a fork. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring with fork, for about 1 minute or until the mixture has thickened and liquid has evaporated. Cool.

Sprinkle work surface with flour and roll out puff pastry into a 12 x 9-inch (30 x 23-cm) rectangle. With a pastry scraper, cut the dough into 24 equal rectangles. Press pastry into mini-muffin pans (you'll need 2 pans with 12 muffin cups each). Divide cooled cranberry mixture among the muffin cups. Put a piece of brie in each muffin cup. Bake puffs for 15 to 20 minutes or until puffed up and golden brown. Serve warm.

Serves 6 (makes 24 Puffs)

LCBO, Holiday 2004

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast