Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    A friend picked me up the other day and I was like--when did you get a new car? The answer--last week, after the old car hit a deer and totalled it (the car, but probably the deer, too. )

I was stopped at a traffic light in "rush" hour traffic and a deer ran in front of my car and brushed against it. I wasn't moving! So the deer hit me, not the other way around! No damage to my car, so I'm assuming the deer was more embarrassed than anything.

Back in the dark ages when ESPN2 would run the short programs, we didn't have that as part of our cable package, but a friend of mine who lived about 45 minutes away did get it. So I found myself driving to her house and watching it in their basement. It started at like 11:30pm and ran until probably 1:30am, so needless to say, they all went to bed. I left when it was over, got in my car, pulled out of their driveway and was almost instantly accosted by a gang of deer. Probably 8-10 of them, literally surrounding my car and looking at me. I didn't want to start beeping the horn since it was 1:30am and the neighborhood wouldn't have appreciated that. I rolled down the window a bit and was all "ok, shoo! Seriously, you're all freaking me out. Let me go! I'm a vegetarian. Please move!" I tried driving super slowly, and they just followed along. Finally, I guess they got bored with me, and let me go. I'm still a little traumatized.

I did see a highway accident once where about half the deer was in the passenger seat, antlers-first. No way someone could have survived that. I can't imagine how freaked out the driver was.

When I moved to a deer-ish area, someone gave me deer whistles for my car. Knock wood, 100% effective.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    I have hit one deer and been hit by three others. Would the hunters please come and shoot them all- they aren't even a native animal in my area.
    Wow and they are in mine and no one even saw one this Regular Gun Hunting Season. We were lucky that Family Friends took pity on us this past week during Black Powder Season and shared their buck w/us, otherwise the majority of our meat would have been a lot more from the store than normal in this house.

It's really been a weird 2010 Hunting Season this year from all we've heard.

Zamboni Zombie
    vCash
    Yep.

Two deer were running across the road. One made it across. The other got hoisted up by its shoulder directly into the passenger side of the windshield, rolled across the driver's side, rolled along the side of my Toyota pickup truck (one of the small two wheel drive ones).

Poor deer didn't make it. My windshield held its integrity, so I didn't get a lap full of dying deer. My door glass shattered, so my hair was full of bits of safety glass.

I was able to see well enough out of the windshield to drive 8 miles down the road to get myself checked out at the local clinic. I had not even a scratch from the glass - amazing.

A couple of people who stopped to see if I was ok also offered to take care of the deer. Since I have no deer processing skills, and I was kind of stressed out, I let them.

Swerving suddenly can often lead to overcorrections which can be at least as dangerous as actually hitting the deer. And in the case of small animals, it's much more dangerous to you to swerve.

One time, a motorcycle played chicken with me. Eventually I got over onto his side, and he simply went by me on my side of the road. I overcorrected trying to get back into my lane too fast and I ended up spinning around at least 360 degrees , putting myself at risk of going off the road into the river.

Yikes!
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    You can be looking and vigilant, but the accident is usually unavoidable unless you're speeding. The deer that I hit was running full out when she crossed the other side of the divided highway. I was lucky I was in the left lane or I'd have hit her dead center. I braked, but at 60 mph with a distance of less than 10 feet and a moving deer, there was no way to avoid hitting her. If I'd jerked the wheel to the left, I'd likely have rolled the van in the median. Leaving my son an orphan was not an option. Tinami, I don't think anybody here would willingly hit an animal, but sometimes it just happens. Fall is a terrible time. The deer are mating and it's hunting season in many places which means they're moving much more. I stopped to see how badly she was hurt and would have called the sheriff's office to put her down except she was gone. I want to believe I didn't break her leg and she survived. But, like Stormy said, if it's a choice between the deer or me, I choose the deer to make the sacrifice. It's not the damage to the vehicle that dictates the choice.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Capella, your story reminds me of something I read in the newspaper a few months ago. There was an article about overly aggressive deer that were becoming a major problem in interior BC. These deer were stalking joggers, chasing and attacking people and their pets, ramming into cars... it really freaked me out. I believe they relocated several of the deer into the wild.

Article here

I cannot find the article I had read, which was more detailed than the one above, but it still gives you a general idea. I remember people were being warned not to walk outside alone, especially in wooded areas.

vCash
    Here in suburban Detroit we have a huge deer problem. There are actually signs all over warning people not to "veer for deer". You need to hit them straight on. Some communities also have made it illegal to feed the deer. I have never hit one myself but have had several close calls and most people I know have totaled their cars hitting one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    When I moved to a deer-ish area, someone gave me deer whistles for my car. Knock wood, 100% effective.
    I can remember when I used to have a subscription to the magazine Horse and Rider, the first issue I received had a couple of letters printed from people complaining about those deer whistles. Apparently, if you drive by a trailer that is transporting horses, you run the risk of spooking the horses with them.

vCash
    Yes, I've been in deer accidents twice. The first time, it was very foggy, deer came out of the ditch and hit our ford ranger. Deer was fine, ranger's passenger light assembly was toast.

2nd accident I saw a deer in the middle of the highway. The deer and I both swerved the same direction, this deer lived as well, hood and lights on our suv were toast. Moral - don't swerve.

(aside, rcmp's wife swerved for a rabbit about a mile from here. She rolled her vehicle and was killed. moral - don't swerve).

I was never hurt, just the vehicles and believe it or not the deer were fine too altho badly bruised.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Capella View Post
    I left when it was over, got in my car, pulled out of their driveway and was almost instantly accosted by a gang of deer. Probably 8-10 of them, literally surrounding my car and looking at me. I didn't want to start beeping the horn since it was 1:30am and the neighborhood wouldn't have appreciated that. I rolled down the window a bit and was all "ok, shoo! Seriously, you're all freaking me out. Let me go! I'm a vegetarian. Please move!" I tried driving super slowly, and they just followed along. Finally, I guess they got bored with me, and let me go. I'm still a little traumatized.
    I'm sorry, but this is hilarious. Although I do have to say that my house is near a state park and there are a lot of deer around, and I take frequent walks through the neighborhood. It's not uncommon for me to see deer on these walks, and once in fact I remember seeing 3 or 4 fawns running around in a circle between the street and the front lawn of a house. They saw me and took off, though. But one time, the fawns ran across the street and were well back in the yard of that house. As I came up to it, I saw there was a Mama deer just standing there. Looking at me. Kind of threateningly, I thought at the time. I just kept walking and she watched me for quite a while.

Anyway, I hit a deer once. I was in Maryland, driving probably about 45 mph on a two-lane road. The deer came charging out of the woods on my left and ran into the left front quarter panel, knocked the driver's side view mirror almost off the car, dented the door and crushed the quarter panel, and landed on its knees partly on the hood and partly on the windshield. We had a moment to eyeball one another through the shattered but intact windshield before it jumped up and ran away. It cost around $2400 to repair, and I was out of town but I had no trouble whatsoever with my insurance. In fact, an adjuster did not even look at it while I was there, and I had to have the windshield replaced before I could drive home. I think an adjuster looked at the rest of the damage when I got home, or maybe the body shop just took care of it. My insurance rate did not go up and I have a $0 deductible on my comprehensive because it basically was the same price as having a $250 deductible.

One time I was driving over to my church, which is about 3 miles away from my house, and it was dusk, and I saw a deer on the side of the road that had been hit. It was still alive and trying to drag itself across to the other side of the road, and it looked at me with somewhat of a desperate look. I got to the church parking lot and called 911. By the time I left, a couple of hours later, the poor deer was dead. I only hope the police came soon and put it out of its misery. It was very sad to see it struggling.

vCash
    My brother hit a deer on his motorcycle. Luckily he only broke a collar bone. The Deer didn't make it. However, the guy in the pickup truck who stopped to help my brother did ask if my brother was taking the deer, when my brothers response was no he proceeded to load it in his truck.

vCash

I hit a deer twice in one day!

Last December I was driving from Mobile, Alabama to Biloxi, MS. I hit a deer driving to Biloxi at 6PM, and then hit a family of deer on the same road coming back at 10PM. Rutting season is dangerous down here in the hinterlands!

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Last spring I hit a deer.. it was like a weird simpsons episode the deer came across the road in slow motion and I froze didn't know what to do so did nothing.. clipped its back end and it flew in the air and my front end was totaled.. i didn't break or swerve or anything but just was totally memorized by the deer as it 'pranced; before me..

Lucky with my insurance (Canada) your not dinged for hitting a deer.. so was all covered.. including car rental So overall not that bad of an experience.. except for the bits of fur in the front of my car that was kinda sad

I now have mini panics when i see that yellow deer sign warning.. as it was the last thing I saw before I hit one..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    It's been almost five years ago to the day that I hit a deer. My husband and I were on our way to a Christmas party about sixty miles from where we live. It was one of those moonless nights in early December with a dusting of snow on the ground. We were driving up a state route which is mostly rural for twenty miles or so. Some friends of ours were ahead of us roughly half a mile in their SUV; our speed was the same, at sixty miles an hour. Our friends' car topped a small hill and I recall seeing something move toward their car from the left. Their headlights illuminated it and it was fairly good sized but it vanished in a second. I wasn't too sure I'd seen it; it was gone that fast.

As our car approached the same little hill, and topped it, my headlights shown on a good sized doe laying in the middle of the road about twenty-five feet in front of my bumper. Driving around it wasn't an option as there were deep ditches on both sides of the road at that point. Some choice either try to drive around it and end up in a five foot deep ditch or hit it. There wasn't time to decide but I managed to steer to the left of it a bit. The doe was still alive before I ran over it with my right side front and rear tires. It was the weiredest sensation. I wanted to find a place to pull over but there was another car coming up behind us. When I looked in my rearview mirror I saw that car drive around the deer in the road, so I kept going.

Later when we got to the Christmas party our friends were checking out minor damage to the front of their vehicle. When I checked out our car we were missing some of the protective cowling on the right front wheel well and the plastic below the right front bumper was cracked. The tire was in good shape; the back wheel and tire were undamaged. The people in the car which followed ours said the deer was dead when they went around it. Basicly the SUV wounded it and I finished it off. My husband called the local sheriff's office to alert them to the dead deer before somebody else ran over it.

vCash
    None so far for me (knock on wood) but it's fairly common where I live. My dad has hit two deer and one cow.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    One, a couple of years ago. On Richmond Road, near a county airport. It moved so fast, I had no time to react. It came from my left. By the time I saw it, it was past me. I grazed it with the right front of my car. No damage to the car. I hope the poor deer was okay. It kept on running very fast.

I did treat a 16 year old kid for post-traumatic stress disorder after a deer landed in her car. We have deer all over the place here in Cleveland.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I hit a 10 point buck many years ago. One moment it was not there; the next moment it was. Its hind quarters were demolished by the car and it used its front feet to try to try to get away from the heavy truck traffic that continued to rush by. When a police officer arrived, he tried to shoot it but kept missing (he looked away as he shot) until someone else arrived and shot it in the head. I'll never forget its screams, and those of my 3 year old who was with me.

Our car was totaled, but my daughter does not remember the incident and no one aside from the deer was harmed.

vCash
    Coming home from the rink last night, a pretty doe scampered alongside my car not four blocks from home. I just hit the emergency flashers and pulled over to wait. There's never just one deer - they're like roaches or mice. We call them "rats on stilts." Sure enough, four more came out of the shrubbery and wandered around. DD opened her window and yelled at them until they ran into the woods. My garden and shrubs are plagued with these critters, but they are cute in a clueless kind of way.

My sister is the Queen of the Deer Slayers. In addition to bagging four deer with her car over the last six years, she "accidentally" nailed one two hunting seasons ago with a 22 caliber rifle. She thought it was filled with "goose shot" and just wanted to scare the beastie out of her garden. Didn't realize Barney Fife had loaded his one bullet, or so she says. We're not allowed to talk about that incident because her oldest daughter would be horrified to know her mother murdered Bambi for the sake of a few dying tomato plants.

My youngest daughter is my "deer spotter" and she does a really good job of giving me advance notice. She yells "DEER!" when she spies their evil little red eyes on the side of the road. When the girls had 5am skating lessons, she was invaluable on the dark country roads! We've had some close encounters, but no deer have touched my car, knock wood.

Once, a herd of them stood across and on the shoulder of the road, not one block from the rink. I didn't want them to run into the side of my car, but they were mesmerized by the lights. I put my flashers on, turned off the headlights, and got out waving a blanket to chase them away.

DD has a wonderful imagination and loves to tell stories. She came up with a story about where the deer go when they're not dancing on the roads...they live in underground tunnels underneath the highways and byways of our great nation. When the red light in the tunnel lights up, it's double-dog-dare time: they start a'running down, full speed, down the tunnel. As they get outside, there are deer trampolines that they bounce on to reach the roadway at breakneck speed. (literally) Then, they play frogger with the cars before entering the secret tunnels on the other side of the highway for a nap and a laugh.

My sister loves that story, although she says there should be land mines involved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Meredith View Post
    I hit a 10 point buck many years ago. One moment it was not there; the next moment it was. Its hind quarters were demolished by the car and it used its front feet to try to try to get away from the heavy truck traffic that continued to rush by. When a police officer arrived, he tried to shoot it but kept missing (he looked away as he shot) until someone else arrived and shot it in the head. I'll never forget its screams, and those of my 3 year old who was with me.

Our car was totaled, but my daughter does not remember the incident and no one aside from the deer was harmed.
    Jesus, I hope I never have to experience any of these stories, especially this one. It makes me want to get a gun just to have one handy in case something like this happens though.

Just me
    vCash
    I live right in the middle of a deer breeding/hunting territory and for some reason; the herds seem to be really big this year. Every drive home at dusk is a potential dodge-em-car game. All of my family have the deer whistles on the front of their cars and they do seem to help.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    I think it is our duty to avoid hitting animals at any cost, since we are taking up their space and they are forced to enter “human occupied territories” in order to survive and reach the feeding grounds.

It is not my duty to avoid hitting animals at any cost. It is my duty to try and protect the people in my car when an animal runs out in front of me on the highway.

My husband didn't hit a deer on purpose, Tinami. Sometimes it just happens. In our case, the deer came out of the ditch so fast that there was nothing we could do.

And quite frankly, if one of us had to die on the highway that day, I'm sure glad it was a deer and not me or my husband.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast