Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Not personally, but it happens to people all the time around here. Last winter, my brother hit one. Luckily, it didn't do too much damage to their truck.

vCash
    To Swerve or Not to Swerve often depends on the circumstances of the individual incident. If you swerve, you can cause a worse accident...if you don't, the animal can come through the window and cause serious injury or death.

This link discusses both options: http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-a-Moose-or-Deer-Collision (bullets 9 and 11)

I've never hit a deer as the driver, but was the passenger in a car that hit a deer. We were driving at night on the highway and had just been discussing wildlife, when I spotted light reflected in a deer's eyes in the ditch. There were about 4 of them, and the driver started to brake, but one of them jumped directly in our path and she didn't even have time to decide whether or not to hit it. She hit the deer when it was in midair and it flew across the highway and landed in the ditch on the other side. We were kind of shaken up and didn't think to check on the deer but we hit it so hard I would be surprised if it lived. It was also pitch black out and we would have had to cross the highway on foot, so that could have been dangerous as well. The car had almost no damage--it was a brand new Mustang convertible (2007 at the time), and the grill was just pushed in slightly and there was some fur caught in it. Very scary though--when we hit the deer, I thought for sure it was going to come through the windshield. I'm pretty careful about scanning the ditches and fields for animals when on the highway, but sometimes it's just totally unavoidable.

I know someone who hit a deer while riding a motorcycle this spring. She sliced the animal completely in half. The rider wasn't injured.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Lots of deer around here and lots of them get hit.

I hit a moose back in 1980. Dark rainy night - never saw it until the last second. I wasn't injured but my car was totalled - moose came up the hood and crushed the roof on the passenger side. Moose was killed...I was moving a car load of stuff to my new apartment and had to clean moose hair off everything.

Wow, that was lucky it only hit the passenger side. I saw a whole show the other day about people killed in moose accidents. They are so tall that the car hit the legs and the huge body flattened the whole car.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Teenage Mutant
    vCash
    Where I grew up in Upstate NY deer roaming around is extremely common, consequently accidents involving deer are similalry common.

The only time I've ever been involved (as the driver) in a deer related accident happened a few years ago when, sitting at a stop light, a deer decided to run across a busy six lane highway (in broad daylight) to get to the other side of the road. Unfortunately, there were several cars sitting at the light ahead of me and behind me, so I had nowhere to move; I just had to sit there and watch in my rear view mirror the deer break my back tail light when attempting to leapfrog over my car.
    Last edited by NinjaTurtles; 12-06-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

vCash
    Wow, that was lucky it only hit the passenger side. I saw a whole show the other day about people killed in moose accidents. They are so tall that the car hit the legs and the huge body flattened the whole car.
    Moose often weigh over 1,000 pounds.

I've been lucky so far, in 14 years of driving. I've had a few close calls though, where they've run across the road in front of me. My parents hit one, up in Keene Valley (that's in the Adirondacks, Route 73 on the way to Lake Placid), and they had to stay overnight because it was at night and AAA couldn't get a truck up to them until the morning, and the hit messed up their radiator so they were leaking coolant and, therefore they wouldn't have made it very far.

One piece of advice that I was given by a co-worker who hit a deer with his brand-new Honda Accord 3 years ago is that, if the animal doesn't die from the accident, do not report it to your insurance company. They need to see absolute proof that it was the result of a collision with a deer, otherwise your rate will go up, because you have no proof that it was an animal you hit. In my co-worker's case, the deer ran into his quarter-panel, and the impact didn't kill it, and so he paid for the bodywork himself, out of pocket instead of having his insurance pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles
    Where I grew up in Upstate NY deer roaming around was extremely common, consequently accidents involving deer were similalry common.
    What part of Upstate were you from? All of my deer sightings seem to take place in rural Rensselaer County, on my drives to or from Lenox, MA. But I've seen a deer walking across the street in Latham, NY which is a suburban area, and my brother hit one in Niskayuna, which is also a suburb, late on Christmas Eve some years back. He and Dad ended up gutting this thing in my parents' backyard, and all we would have needed was for some little kid to be poking his head out the window and seeing them "killing Santa's reindeer."
    Last edited by Karina1974; 12-06-2010 at 06:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    One piece of advice that I was given by a co-worker who hit a deer with his brand-new Honda Accord 3 years ago is that, if the animal doesn't die from the accident, do not report it to your insurance company. They need to see absolute proof that it was the result of a collision with a deer, otherwise your rate will go up, because you have no proof that it was an animal you hit. In my co-worker's case, the deer ran into his quarter-panel, and the impact didn't kill it, and so he paid for the bodywork himself, out of pocket instead of having his insurance pay for it.
    "
    I have an appointment with my insurance adjuster on Friday and I have a tuft of skin and hair hanging off my car light. Just thinking about driving my car this evening makes me want to throw up!

vCash
    I've thankfully never hit anything, but the past few years there've been some scary stories about hitting animals. The first one, a woman hit a buck and it landed on top of the car. Part of its antler pierced the hood and went into her baby's skull. The baby was in NICU for a while, but recovered and is just fine now.

The other happened just last year, and involved a goose, but it lends itself to the swerve/don't swerve debate. A girl was driving on the interstate and saw a goose in her path. She swerved a little to miss it, but it was icy and she lost control. Well, there is a lake right where this happened and she drove into it. She was knocked unconscious, but was pulled from her car in time. She was in a coma for quite a while. She ended up fine, although she doesn't remember anything after swerving to miss the goose.

The info the HP put out at that time was if it's a small animal, just keep going. It might damage your vehicle, but it's better than a possible alternative. But if it is a larger animal and you're able to, try to swerve. Obviously, all of this is usually a split-second decision, so often times instinct just kicks in, and sometimes that's wrong.

vCash
    Can you please send me some antlers! My dog loves them!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The reason you shouldn't swerve is because 9 times out of 10 you'll have a potentially worse accident such as running into a ditch, guardrail, tree, another vehicle etc., etc., There are enough incidents to prove the validity of the recommendation. You should try to slow down but don't jerk the wheel. Most people can't control the vehicle when they do.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    You should run off the road and hit a tree, ditch or guardrail rather than hit a moose. Hitting a moose can kill or seriously injure you.

You can swerve, depending on traffic, for a deer, but don't run off the road. The deer can damage your car, but is much less likely to injure you.

ETA- a cow or a horse would be the same as a moose. Hitting a deer is more comparable to hitting a large dog or small pony.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    this subject

at this time of year

Run Rudolph Run! (or fly higher, as it were)

Just me
    vCash
    Several years ago, my daughter hit three in one year. She was travelling through prime deer breeding territory on her way to and from work, in the middle of the times the deer were moving the most.

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    You should try to slow down but don't jerk the wheel.
    Oddly enough, after hitting the second deer, the state police told her that she should never try to slow down or stop. Reducing your speed, he said, made it more likely the deer would go through your windshield instead of over the top of your car.

A good friend almost died when a deer went through his windshield. The deer landed in the cab of his truck and it thrashed with its hooves and antlers so much, it cut the guy to ribbons.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I think most of the time it happens so fast you don't have much time to react at all. I saw movement in my peripheral vision, said "Deer. Oh shit" plastic flew up when the headlight assembly cracked. I stopped, looked at the damage and said, "That could have been worse." My damage was less than $1500 on a year old vehicle.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    My parents live in the Fort Bragg Reserve area, and one night my brother was leaving to drive home...and my Mom says "be careful of deer." He replied "don't SAY that. you're going to jinx me!" lol....he then proceeded to leave and hit a deer. It only knocked out his headlight. He wasn't going fast thankfully...so the deer was ok as well(other than maybe bruises and banged up a little)

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I think most of the time it happens so fast you don't have much time to react at all. I saw movement in my peripheral vision, said "Deer. Oh shit"....
    Very, very true!
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    In the business I work hitting wildlife is one of the major risks our guys face. We have had quite a few have run ins with kangaroos. The photos from one of them was pretty dramatic. The roo went through the windscreen and died. The guy is lucky to be alive because it went through the passenger side.

However on the other hand, someone rolled a vehicle over swerving to avoid a lizard on the road whilst towing a caravan. He is in hospital at the moment.

I also met someone who swerved to avoid a lizard and ended up running into a tree. Her friend who came by 15 minutes later to collect her ended up running it over anyway.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I never hit a deer, instead I hit trees, railings, bushes, poles and other things, about 5 or 6 times in order to avoid hitting deer. Most of the time I was out-of-state driving a rental car.

I think it is our duty to avoid hitting animals at any cost, since we are taking up their space and they are forced to enter “human occupied territories” in order to survive and reach the feeding grounds.

I don’t see why people get angry at the Deer for “jumping out of nowhere”…. We, humans, are the “smart ones”, and if we know there is deer or other wild life is habituating close to the given roads, we “the smart humans” must put up barriers, over-passes, safe walk-ways etc for wild-life to cross a road or a freeway.

We can always buy a new car or fix a car, but a new-born deer will die if the Mother Deer is killed… same goes for other wild life dynamics.

We humans keep breeding and breeding, inventing imaginary gods which supposedly prohibit contraception and abortion…. And here we have real true creatures, who live natural lives without any hang-ups and inventions and bull-shit…… and we leave them no space to function safely……. And then get mad at them for getting in our way…..

So many people “cry me a river” about idol frivolous Octomom’s babies, who are result of an idiocy, and probably will grow up to idots…… and same people get mad at a deer who is working hard fighting for life on daily basis to feed itself and off-springs, living by the harsh laws of natural survival……

I’ll take 1 animal in the wild over 5 people on welfare…..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    I think it is our duty to avoid hitting animals at any cost, since we are taking up their space and they are forced to enter “human occupied territories” in order to survive and reach the feeding grounds.

I don’t see why people get angry at the Deer for “jumping out of nowhere”…. We, humans, are the “smart ones”, and if we know there is deer or other wild life is habituating close to the given roads, we “the smart humans” must put up barriers, over-passes, safe walk-ways etc for wild-life to cross a road or a freeway.
    It's my duty to avoid hitting an animal at any cost? Even if the cost is my own life if it goes through the windshield? No way. NO WAY. Sorry. I love animals as much as the next person but no. Animals are not people. And do you really think wildlife are smart enough to know to cross the safe overpass or walkway as opposed to just jumping on the highway or across a road even if we had the resources to construct such things? REALLY?? Come on now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I've always heard you should just slow down as much as possible, because swerving might lead to an even worse accident.
    That's what I have been told as well. I personally know 2 people that did swerve. One swerved to miss the deer and hit another car and the resulting accident killed their daughter. The other person swerved and hit a tree and had some severe injuries, including a fractured pelvis.

I have lost count over the number of times I have had to slow down/brake sharply to avoid deer. **Knocking on wood multiple times to help my luck hold** We did have one close call and were "sideswiped" by a deer - it hit the back corner of our SUV. No damage to us and the deer ran away so hopefully wasn't seriously injured. I have multiple co-workers that have hit deer. They are a menace in this area - the deer are very over populated, and the metro area has been encroaching on their habitat for years.

vCash
    Someone told me that the proper thing to do is not swerve but to actually speed up and hit the deer hard enough to knock it out of the way, if you brake or hit it slightly you risk having it come into your car.

I've only had one close call where a deer almost stepped infront of my car on the expressway, lucky for me it didn't.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast