Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Battle of the Blades Season 2 Part 3

After the Ice Melts

Tonight they are talking with the 16 competitors and showing some backstage stuff, new stuff mostly.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Yay...i'll tape it tonight
    Can't wait to watch it!

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    It's well worth watching.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    very good. I wonder when it was filmed.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    It was obviously done after they knew the final result. In a comment from Sandra (about a "girls" practice with Kurt), I got the impression it was taped on the day after the final show.

That would have been the same day that Katia & Val appeared on George S's show.

vCash
    Can anyone tell us what the special was about? any cute moments?
    Wasn't able to watch it on tv.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Wow, I didn't expect to bawl my eyes out watching this! :

I laughed an awful lot too though.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    they were very very emotional.

vCash
    yeah al those tough hacky guys with tears in theri eyes - demonstrated how emotuonal the show was for all of them= a nice touch- - i was kinda hoping for some skating tho!!!

Skating supporter
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper88 View Post
    Can anyone tell us what the special was about? any cute moments?
    Wasn't able to watch it on tv.
    The video is now up at http://www.cbc.ca/battle/2010/12/epi...ice-melts.html

vCash
    The show was taped on Tuesday, the day after the announcement show, which was a Monday. Everyone partied like heck the night before at the wrap party! Hoping clips will show up on youtube for those of us outside of Canada - thank you in advance!

vCash
    When PJ told his story about Violetta's pants I was thinking to myself "Could her pants really get any tighter?"

I confess that I too got teary at the emotional bits.

Always leave them wanting more - and I did - Christine barely said a word, Val didn't get a wrap up comment when all the others did at the end, etc, etc, etc. Of course I would not have wanted to sacrifice a second of what they did show either. I had expected them to go more into the physical toll - the injuries, the strains of being away from family, but I'm glad they didn't as that was covered a great deal during the competition already - good choice. Oh and good job Ron and Kurt as facilitators - didn't talk anymore than necessary to keep things moving along and on topic.

Interesting how it was pointed out that the guys all were getting "addicted" to the adrenaline high of performing for the audience. I don't think we saw that quite as much last year. The early emphasis on choreo and the presentation (ballet-not) lessons were obviously a good idea.

vCash
    The show just reminded me how much I'm going to miss BOTB until next year. :

Val was in general. And PJ, "remember there was that show and they broke the trophy?"

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Out of all the things that were shared, I wish I could have gotten a look at JR's face when he opened up the door from the low lighted side of the bathroom to see Georges' looming over him in full Devil hair do in the full light outside of the bathroom...ROTFLOL!!!

That and PJ telling Russ, "I'm NOT putting my hand down there!!" when the buttons keeping his shirt buttoned to the underside of Russ' pants came undone and Russ was asking for help.

vCash
    When Anabelle was talking about Georges not being able to keep a straight face and laughing during "bring back sexy" week, she said they had to retake the beginning of the number 30 times that day. In the clip shown, there was also three unidentified people substituting for the judges. Where retakes used like at CSOI in Hamilton?

P.S. CSOI is being televised tomorrow on CBC at 9:00pm.

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    I think Anabelle meant, during the dress rehearsals, they had to redo the opening. I was there the first two weeks, and Anabelle and Georges definitely did not do a retake of their number.
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

vCash
    OK, here's a strange bit of information I received a few days ago and I'm not sure if it's accurate or if someone is misinformed.

I was talking with some hockey people about BOTB and one person told me that the hockey players were all paid to participate - to the tune of $100,000! Well, when I got told that I answered that perhaps they misunderstood. I explained that the couples were all skating for charity, that the winning couple got $100,000 for their charity and the other couples got $25,000 and the response I got was noooo, they got this information second hand and were pretty sure it was accurate that the hockey players were paid to participate. So the "chain" of information went participant - hockey person - hockey person - me. Well now I'm scratching my head because I don't ever recall reading anything about the hockey players being paid for their stint on the show regardless of how long they lasted. Can anyone confirm if such information is correct or incorrect?

Also, I really enjoyed PJ's story about how to button up those shirts. Did anyone see at the end of the show how PJ got off his chair and was making his way over to another hockey player who I think might have been Theo because just before break, Theo had been sharing his thoughts and got quite choked up about it as did Jamie.

Thanks CBC for another wonderful season of BOTB and here's hoping to another.
    Last edited by professordeb; 12-07-2010 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Try to clairfy how many people this "rumor" went through before it got to me.
    Crazy about sports!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I don't know the facts, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the hockey players and skaters were all paid, in addition to the judges - this is the case in other reality/competition shows, regardless of what they are playing for.

vCash
    Of course the skaters were paid for their time and their performances. That sorta went without saying - but maybe it needed to be said.

Yes, the prize money was for charity and that's very important. But these folks weren't working for nothing.

I have said this before re: other charity skating events. It is rare that skaters (or any talent in a charity situation which features talent) donate their time. For the Michael Weiss Foundation, they do and it is stated that they do. If you don't hear that the skaters are donating their time, assume that they're not because they most likely are not. Sometimes they make top dollar (when it's televised, etc.), sometimes they do it very cheap to maximize proceeds to a charity (small, one-off shows and events), sometimes they donate everything (more rare). Not anything new but a surprise to many people.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    To appear in a one time event for charity is one thing, but to commit months to a series is another. Hundreds of people worked on the show behind the scenes, and they were all paid, so it makes sense that the on-air talent should also be paid.

And charities benefited financially and through awareness building - everybody wins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast