Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Gifts to Chan keep American men out of GPF

vCash
    Do we really need another thread hashing out this topic?

vCash
    LMAO absolutely not....I read up to the third paragraph, and realized how the author couldn't even keep her facts straight just to try and accentuate their bias...

"In the short program at Skate Canada, Chan fell three times — twice on his jumps and once on his footwork. A similar disaster landed Nobunari Oda in 28th place at Worlds last year."

As we all know...Oda popped all 3 jumps in the short last year, and you get virtually ZERO points for that, Although Chan fell three times, he got the deductions he was supposed to get but he still got points for rotating jumps. In absolutely NO WAY was that similar...

Let us not forget one last thing....the author is comparing WORLDS to Skate Canada? LMAO the fact that she used that comparison between Oda & Chan, between worlds and skate canada to provide support for her point shows that there is nothing but bogus in her argument LOLLLL...

What it does make her sound like is a 10 year old whining why didn't her favorite American skater make the GPF. Ok...another pet peeve of mine is how this point is used again and again...

"Worst of all, the complexity of the scoring makes it virtually incomprehensible to the audience, which in turn makes cheating by the judges easier than ever before."

Complexity of the scoring is MUCH SIMPLER than it was before, in fact.. it is the 6.0 system that was really "incomprehensible" to the audience if you think about it. You do stuff, you get points, you do harder stuff, you get more points...you make mistakes... you get less points for the stuff you did..that is that, use a calculator to add that all up, you have your grand total. There may have been a learning curve for everyone involved in the sport when it first came out, but it has been a good 7 seasons and I think the audience is not quite as dumb as these bloggers make them sound, they are not quite as clueless as they seem, they know that when a skater does well, they will get more points... if there seems to be a discrepancy..now you can go look at the protocols to see the exact breakdown of what the skaters did to get the points!

Back in 6.0... you see skaters performing very well and getting 5.1s and 4.8s...huh? why? doesn't make sense... o well..not to mention, the marks didn't count as it was only the rankings that did.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    There may have been a learning curve for everyone involved in the sport when it first came out, but it has been a good 7 seasons and I think the audience is not quite as dumb as these bloggers make them sound, .
    It's been 7 years and we're still 'learning'. Yeah, audience is still quite 'dumb' NOT to appreciate that Chan's scores are well deserved with 4 falls per competition under CoP.

People are dying but Chan apologists keep on spinning...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dundas View Post
    It's been 7 years and we're still 'learning'. Yeah, audience is still quite 'dumb' NOT to appreciate that Chan's scores are well deserved with 4 falls per competition under CoP.

People are dying but Chan apologists keep on spinning...
    Who is dying?

vCash
    dundas
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    American men kept themselves out of the final. No other way to look at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Back in 6.0... you see skaters performing very well and getting 5.1s and 4.8s...huh? why? doesn't make sense... o well..not to mention, the marks didn't count as it was only the rankings that did.
    This. The main reason why I hated 6.0 and see no reason to reinstate it.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Who's Brian Mroz??

vCash
    I think it's "punishment" American TV is broadcasting "Skating with the Stars" Penance must be paid for anything that bad.

(Hey it makes as much sense as some of the other whining )

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It's all Michelle Kwan's fault
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Everyone knew what a 5.8 or 5.9 for artistic meant in the old system, and no one would have tolerated a 6.0 for a seriously flawed performance.
    I sure didn't know what any of those numbers mean.

But who knows or cares about what a score of 81.30 means?
    Protocols are there for a reason. At it's simplest and most idealistic, everything is outlined. We may not be able to read the judges' minds but we know what the numbers mean in reference to the element that is done. There's a rubric that most of us can follow along to understand. It's not perfect but there is meaning to an 81.30.

This blogger conveniently didn't bring up anything about the American men and their scores but brought up the Japanese men. It's a tad scary that her whole blog reads like a PSA about the evils of the CoP.
    Last edited by Indra486; 12-05-2010 at 08:46 PM. Reason: To further clarify

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemuse View Post
    I consider this "cyberbullying".

vCash
    Aren't we having too many Chan bashing threads on FSU now? I'm sooo tired of this.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    FREE ABBOTT!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    American men kept themselves out of the final. No other way to look at it.
    Yup Adam didn't skate well at SA, Jeremy didn't skate well at COR, and Brandon earned his low PCS which kept him out of the GPF with his zzz skating. The only ones who even competed against Chan in a GP event were Rippon, who I do think deserved to beat Chan there but I don't think deserved to beat Oda (I would have had the results 1.) Oda 2.) Rippon 3.) Chan) which would have meant he would have come in 2nd place and 4th place at his 2 GPs and still would not have qualified for the final; and then Jeremy at COR, and Jeremy made so many mistakes there that I thought his scores were deserved and he should have been behind Chan, therefore making Chan not responsible for Jeremy's not qualifying for the GPF. So really, Chan doesn't play a factor in any of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    FREE ABBOTT!
    Yuka Sato is doing well with him. Why does he need to be freed?

vCash
    I mean, I feel badly about the fact that so few Americans are going to the final, but at the same time, I'm sure that Jeremy needs to stay home (wasn't he having boot trouble or something like that?) and I'm not sure that Mroz going would be the best idea (I think that he needs to keep training if he hopes to do well should he make worlds) and...well, I can't come up with a good reason to leave Adam behind, other than his SA performance.

All in all, it's one GPF. This isn't the Olympic season, this is just a season in between, and they have three years to rebound.

Additionally, Chan does not deserve the blame for any of this. Sure, I was really pissed after SC (although I did pick him for my A pool, so go figure), but I think we spend wayyyyy too much time talking about Chanflation.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkenn View Post
    Aren't we having too many Chan bashing threads on FSU now? I'm sooo tired of this.
    Well, nobody is forcing you to join a so-called 'Chan-basing' thread.

vCash
    Seriously?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast