Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    57
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Doesn't bother me either. I always thought it was programmed to relieve tension.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,136
    vCash
    699
    Rep Power
    17891
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I think their is a big difference between being happy for a few moments on the ice and skating around discusted at yourself and/or your partner like a child. I understand athletes are human and they are going to react however they feel at the moment. But I do find it unprofessional.
    I need to explain what I meant. Yes, I love it too when skaters are overjoyed at the end of a competitive routine (Lipinski, Boitano, etc.). Sure, it's a competitive sport, I understand that and it's great to see skaters (and other athletes) happy with their performance.

    But lots of skaters just skate around with kind of a blank look, while the audience is clapping for them. Then the audience stops clapping. The skaters finally bow afterward, because they "have" to and then the audience claps unenthusiastically, since they're more or less forced to at that point.

    A trained athlete does NOT need to catch his/her breath for thirty seconds after a performance. They train every day, and usually run their programs more than once a day. It's not like they're going to end up in the hospital if they spend fifteen seconds at the end taking bows and acknowledging the audience. I used to compete. Never remember skaters doing this until recent years. Yep, I think it looks bad and brings down the whole energy of the performance.

    Just my opinion!

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    But lots of skaters just skate around with kind of a blank look, while the audience is clapping for them. Then the audience stops clapping. The skaters finally bow afterward, because they "have" to and then the audience claps unenthusiastically, since they're more or less forced to at that point.

    A trained athlete does NOT need to catch his/her breath for thirty seconds after a performance. They train every day, and usually run their programs more than once a day.
    if it is not because they feel or need to, why you think they are doing it?? to just upset you? There is obviously a reason they need to calm down after their program, emotional, physical or both.
    Apart from toning down their heart beat which needs to be done for everyone even if you just go to the gym for an hour and do aerobic exercise, if you see almost all skaters still breath faster in kiss n cry area after such physical exercice, a trained athlete is well shaped to run through his programs without slowing down ορ getting tired much, but it doesnt mean they shouldnt reduce their pulse rate, it is not good to come to a dead stop. Plus I was watching Lillehammer Olys this weekend and many skaters didnt bow right after as well, especially the ones who blew it.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,136
    vCash
    699
    Rep Power
    17891
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    if it is not because they feel or need to, why you think they are doing it?? ...it doesnt mean they shouldnt reduce their pulse rate, it is not good to come to a dead stop.
    So how would that explain skaters like Kwan, Lipinski, Boitano and others who practically started jumping around after finishing their routines? Doesn't exactly slow down the heart rate.

    The heartbeat begins to slow down as soon as the exercise is halted. Skating around the ice doesn't slow it down any more than stopping and taking a few bows slows it down.

    I think skaters do it because they don't know not to. Maybe this started as early as the '94 Olympics (although I don't remember Urmanov, Stojko, Kerrigan, Baiul, Candeloro and others doing it). It seems to me a lot more commonplace these days.

    If it doesn't bother you, that's fine. And I'll still be a skating fan and cheer on all my favorites no matter what they do. But it's not a matter of the skaters needing to do it. Professional dancers perform just as rigorously, maybe even moreso, and you don't see that out of them.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Besides catching their breath, I think they are also taking a moment to reflect on their performance. Usually we see fist pumps or acts of disappointments. When you say 'blank stare' I think it just means they thought they blew it. I can't think of a strong performance with a skater ending it with a blank stare... Maybe they should do it when they are in the K&C, but they are only humans.

    It's like any sporting event. Soccer players celebrate after scoring a goal, or cover their faces when they miss a penalty... they don't run back to their starting positions immediately (unless it's in a faster paced sport like basketball).

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    So how would that explain skaters like Kwan, Lipinski, Boitano and others who practically started jumping around after finishing their routines? Doesn't exactly slow down the heart rate.
    i dont explain it. I just dont see the reason of the thread at the end. What if they sneeze before bowing, we make a thread for this too?

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    16,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with a few others, I don't think the skating around looking blank after a performance is so much about being disappointed, as it is about catching their breath and letting go of the adrenaline. The sustained effort to do a 4 - 4.5 minute program is exhausting, and demands intense focus, they are just recovering a bit before they smile and bow.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,974
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1891
    I tend not to spend a lot of time thinking about how long/why skaters skate on the ice before or after their programs - really, of all the things to see and think about when watching a comp, this rates kind of low on the importance scale. The only skater who bothered me with their trips around the ice was Oksana Baiul, who used to circle around for at least a minute - I think her thing was that her skates would tell her when to begin or something like that - and I think she even did it in shows. But I don't really care if a skater takes a few secs at the end of the program - given the scoring reviews and the amount of time it takes to announce scores, it's not like they're slowing down the comp.

    Another thing to consider is that skaters want to take their bows at center ice. Sometimes their program ends near one of the ends, so they need to skate over to the center to bow.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3,176
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8235
    Where Oksana was really annoying was at the end of her programs when she was a skating regularly as a pro - she got into this habit of kneeling on the end clutching her stomach as though she was completely emotionally drained and just couldn't bring herslef to get up. I always viewed it as a blatant attempt to milk attention/emotions (sympathy?) from the audience as it frequently followed a very mediocre performance. It just seemed very manipulative.

    I always felt bad for the skater who had to follow her and cool their blades waiting for her to finally leave the ice. A few of those people must have wanted to thump her on the head but good.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    47
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    So how would that explain skaters like Kwan, Lipinski, Boitano and others who practically started jumping around after finishing their routines? Doesn't exactly slow down the heart rate.
    Adrenaline. After exercise it takes a little while before the adrenaline levels in your blood drops to a normal level again. Adrenaline gives you extra energie, so when you've done well your body is full of energie and because of that you will see that skaters who've done well can jump around when they strike there ending pose. Mentally is also a huge factor, if you are dissapointed you will surrender to your tiredness, emotionally and physically. When you are happy you will forget that you are tired.

    Example: A speedskater who skates the 10km can be tired (even through up) after there race. This is normal since it asks a lot of your body. But you often see that when everything goes perfect, every stroke is powerful and effective, the skater comes smiling and full of energie through the finish. And when you later talk to them they often say "i wasn't tired at all. I can even skate another 10km". But when you ask the same question to a skater who's done ok (or bad) you will hear a whole different answer.

    Basically everyone can act like that (jumping etc.) after their routine however, emotions often take the upper hand.

    I hope that this makes sense. English isn't my first language so i can't explain as well as i wish.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    587
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    The heartbeat begins to slow down as soon as the exercise is halted. Skating around the ice doesn't slow it down any more than stopping and taking a few bows slows it down.

    If it doesn't bother you, that's fine. And I'll still be a skating fan and cheer on all my favorites no matter what they do. But it's not a matter of the skaters needing to do it. Professional dancers perform just as rigorously, maybe even moreso, and you don't see that out of them.
    In regard to the first comment, clearly you do not understand the mechanics of slowing down heart rate. It is the same principle as after vigorous exercise, you do not simply sit down --> yes this also does slow down heart rate, but the rate in slowing down the heart rate drops much too rapidly, likewise with a skater who simply stops immediately after their program without stroking around.

    You want to try to make sure your heart rate drops at a reasonable rate instead of having it plummet, and to do so, you have a cool down period, this is by the way irrelevant to whether a trained athlete needs to catch their breath or not because in either case, slowing down their heart rate at a reasonable pace is the goal, not simply to have their heart rate down.

    In regards to the blank look, it may look like a blank look on the outside, but you have no idea what is going on inside their head and it is a lot more than they are expressing on their face. In regards to the audience needing to "clap" once again for the skater, this is no longer the skater's problem, it is the audience's problem if you feel like it is a problem at all. Let us remember that the skaters are ultimately not there to please the audience, they are there to place as high (and win) in the competition.

    Lastly, why are we now comparing professional dancers to skaters? Dancers put on a show, a performance that begins and ends when they appear and get off the stage. For skaters, it is first and foremost, a sport, and even when you tie in the "performance" aspect of it, that starts when the music starts, and when the music ends.

    Just as a side note: for the most part, skaters may do whatever they wish after the end of their program within reason, an example of something unacceptable would be Fusar-Poli/Margaglio (or something like that), at the end of their 2006 Olympics OD program when she stood there glaring at him for like 2 minutes. That is when it becomes an issue.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1553
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    Just as a side note: for the most part, skaters may do whatever they wish after the end of their program within reason, an example of something unacceptable would be Fusar-Poli/Margaglio (or something like that), at the end of their 2006 Olympics OD program when she stood there glaring at him for like 2 minutes. That is when it becomes an issue.
    I think the keyword is within reason.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,596
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Another thing to consider is that skaters want to take their bows at center ice. Sometimes their program ends near one of the ends, so they need to skate over to the center to bow.
    Exactly. Maybe the audiences these days just lack the training of previous audiences, who knew that they were supposed to wait until the skater came back to center ice to take a bow before applauding.
    But in the defense of the original poster, I was actually was advised by one of my coaches that regardless of how poorly you skate, you should look proud and smile at the end, since looking disappointed only advertises your shortcomings and might affect the judges' impression and lower your second mark. I like how Alissa Czisny always does this, and I wouldn't be surprised if it actually does help her PCS a little.
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 12-06-2010 at 08:54 PM.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,029
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I guess we all could be accused of meandering around all over the ice about this issue/ nonissue as well. I think everyone is making valid, reasonable points based on their own perceptions.

    Skaters' behavior on the ice should always be within reason I suppose, but isn't it fun when something unexpected occurs, such as Surya Bonaly's backflip, a kind of flippant message to the judges: "I don't care, I'm going to do it as my last eligible skater move." And I loved Ryan Bradley's absolutely effervescent backflip at Nationals 2007 when he won the silver medal. I think he asked permission before he went back on the ice to do it, in homage to the audience, and to his own uncontainable joy.

    Besides Brian B's Olympic reaction, another unforgettable on-ice after performance reaction is that of Midori Ito at 1989 Worlds -- love it, love it -- pure tears of joy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMREn...eature=related

    I think these moments for skaters (when they know deep inside their hearts how well they have skated and how hard they have worked for the moment they are experiencing) are even better than the moment when they know they've won in the kiss n' cry. Perhaps an exception would be Rudy Galindo who was over the moon after he skated, and in the stratosphere when he realized the judges gave him fair marks that deservedly gave him the win. Even the favorite to win (Todd Eldredge) was happy for Rudy (but Todd is such a gentleman in any case -- he used Rudy's win at Nats as inspiration for his own win at Worlds the same year).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIj_UGchiE

    ITA, Doubletoe and skateboy re, those who are disappointed should try to mask it as best as possible because expressing too much disappointment may affect the judges' view. I've seen some skaters who make mistakes during a performance react pleased afterward likely because it might help give a better impression to the judges, especially if they overcame some early mistakes and finished strongly.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 12-07-2010 at 12:11 AM.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,844
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I guess we all could be accused of meandering around all over the ice about this issue/ nonissue as well. I think everyone is making valid, reasonable points based on their own perceptions.

    Skaters' behavior on the ice should always be within reason I suppose, but isn't it fun when something unexpected occurs, such as Surya Bonaly's backflip, a kind of flippant message to the judges: "I don't care, I'm going to do it as my last eligible skater move." And I loved Ryan Bradley's absolutely effervescent backflip at Nationals 2007 when he won the silver medal. I think he asked permission before he went back on the ice to do it, in homage to the audience, and to his own uncontainable joy.

    Besides Brian B's Olympic reaction, another unforgettable on-ice after performance reaction is that of Midori Ito at 1989 Worlds -- love it, love it -- pure tears of joy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMREn...eature=related

    I think these moments for skaters (when they know deep inside their hearts how well they have skated and how hard they have worked for the moment they are experiencing) are even better than the moment when they know they've won in the kiss n' cry. Perhaps an exception would be Rudy Galindo who was over the moon after he skated, and in the stratosphere when he realized the judges gave him fair marks that deservedly gave him the win. Even the favorite to win (Todd Eldredge) was happy for Rudy (but Todd is such a gentleman in any case -- he used Rudy's win at Nats as inspiration for his own win at Worlds the same year).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXIj_UGchiE

    ITA, Doubletoe and skateboy re, those who are disappointed should try to mask it as best as possible because expressing too much disappointment may affect the judges' view. I've seen some skaters who make mistakes during a performance react pleased afterward likely because it might help give a better impression to the judges, especially if they overcame some early mistakes and finished strongly.
    You know, why doesn't anyone skate to stuff like Midori did in 1989? That music was magical along with her performance. The skaters today just skate to crap that sounds terrible and boring.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    434
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    238
    While it doesn't bother me, I also think, like aftreshocks said in part of her post, a too negative reaction about one's own performance in front of the judges is not good. Of course it might not affect the scores immediately but it adds towards an overall impression one gets of a skater. I think that Evan did that part very well, he smiled even when a program was not so good and managed to appear confident. Same with Chan, he smiles his mistakes kind of away (sorry if that doesn't souns to clear)

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    805
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I like to see a truly finished program - last pose, hold a few seconds and then bow to the audience clapping. Then go off ice and cry, cheer, rant, whatever.

  18. #38
    Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    3,343
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1851
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8junkie View Post
    They're athletes and competitors. They don't need to perform for us every second that the music isn't on.
    Exactly. Taking the ice when called and bowing before reacting are treating skating like theater or some sort of non-sport. If we truly want to defend skating as a sport, then we have to acknowledge that the skaters are first and foremost athletes. And that means having pre-comp rituals (such as skating a few rounds to mentally prepare after their name is called - no different than what a runner in a track and field event does for example). And that means allowing them to catch their breath and react to what they did as competitors, not performers.

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,374
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It doesn't bother me, and actually I like to see it because it's a moment of truth, the skater removes his performance mask and act like how he feels and who he is.
    Also nowadays programs are very demanding, 4 or more minutes to perform difficult moves, extra concentration, pressure... and at the end they have the relief of all this. This is a sport, such things happen under competitive conditions, they risk something during their program, so I don't see any problem to express their feelings afterwards.
    And this moment of truth is also very interesting, skaters react in different ways, sometimes we think that the performance was so so and the skater seems to think the contrary... All this is interesting to understand how things work for the athletes.

    My only concern is when some skaters obviously react in a way that doesn't look natural, or when they do something that seems to be planed in advance, which remove the authentic aspect of the moment. But overall it doesn't happen often.

  20. #40
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,345
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Exactly. Taking the ice when called and bowing before reacting are treating skating like theater or some sort of non-sport. If we truly want to defend skating as a sport, then we have to acknowledge that the skaters are first and foremost athletes. And that means having pre-comp rituals (such as skating a few rounds to mentally prepare after their name is called - no different than what a runner in a track and field event does for example). And that means allowing them to catch their breath and react to what they did as competitors, not performers.
    Yeah, and if you're going to compare it to dancers, don't compare it to ballet (who are running a marathon, and I promise aren't running into the wings and standing neatly still waiting for their next cue--they're still moving and keeping warm and being ready for their next entrance), compare it to a dancesport event--usually, yeah, we'll try and stop and bow, but we also keep moving, reset on the floor, and generally just try to deal with having expended a LOT of energy in a very short period of time (especially mid-rounds where we have maybe a minute to be ready to go again.) A skater just spent TONS of energy and probably needs time to recover, emotionally and physically.

    And I think some of it's just perception, as I haven't noticed anyone taking "forever" to go take a bow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •