Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ross Miner

vCash
    I can't believe this discussion is still going on. Jeremy is one of my favorite skaters and initially I was gutted when he wasn't placed on the team but he didn't qualify. He has never done well at worlds or at the Olympics so I don't understand why they should skip over Miner and place Jeremy on the team, even if the points were so little between them. Jeremy is not reliable, like AT ALL. He has never even been in range of the podium at worlds. He had his chance, like everyone else. He shouldn't be held up. At this point in time, I doubt if he will ever get reliable or consistent, which is a shame because he is such a natural talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Abbott should have "easily won" Nationals this year? Huh? Over Rippon, Armin, Dornbush and Bradley?
    Err... yes?? Last year, Abbott beat the reigning World Champion, GPF Champion, and ultimate Olympic Gold Medallist. Johnny Weir had also recently been a world medallist and was the reigning GPF bronze medallist. Both Johnny and Evan had been having better seasons than Abbott up to this point. Actually, Nationals was the only time Jeremy was stronger than either of them.

Rippon, Dornbush, Miner, and Mahbanoozadeh had never beaten Abbott in competition leading up to this past Nationals. Rippon and Mahbanoozadeh still have yet to do so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Bradley was the only person competing at Nationals who had ever placed ahead of Abbott, and that was four years ago when he came 2nd at Nationals to Abbott's 4th. Bradley had been training for not more than a few months, and his long at Nationals wasn't all that great. Easily beatable for Jeremy.

Compared to last year, this Nationals should have been a cakewalk. Jeremy, in spite of his boot problems, was having the best season of all the American men and was the overwhelming favourite.

And as for 4CC's confirming that the right team was sent to worlds, I stand by that statement. 4CC's showed that none of the three sent there deserve any favours from the USFSA when it comes to spots for Worlds. I don't know how the Worlds team will do, and I'm not saying they'll do better than the 3 men at 4CC's did; all I'm saying is that the American men at 4CC's hardly performed so incredibly well that they might make the USFSA question whether one (or two, or three) of them should have been put on the Worlds team instead of Miner, Dorbush, or Bradley.

Title-less
    vCash
    If anything I thought Jeremy was slightly overmarked in the free skate. In fact, the current nationals skating order, with skaters ranked #4-6 in short program going before #1-3, is highly favorable for #1-3. It is esp favorable to whoever skates last (interesting it often turns out to be the sp winner) I could be wrong, but for the last 4 years where this skating order has been in effect, the short program winner for the senior singles that skated last tended to win the free, except when skater #2 or #3 posed a strong challenge (2008 senior men, 2010 senior ladies). Interesting that Mirai wasn't skating last this year and Rachael was.

People are saying how some skaters aren't going to get the same pcs at internationals. Perhaps if nationals is held more like an ISU competiton--with judges from other countries and a skating order that isn't made for TV, we would have seen something that fans may find more "ISU-compatible". This year with so many strong free skates, I was a little puzzled over the spread of pcs over some skaters who gave the performance closest to their true potential. I think that weird skating order might have done sth to the result.

Anyway, whatever that skating order should be, Jeremy isn't going to worlds.
    Last edited by jlai; 02-24-2011 at 12:33 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    And now the monkey will be on Ryan's, Ross's and Dornbush's backs to retain at least two if not three spots. Given that Ryan has never performed particularly well at Worlds, and I think may not wind up competing(why bother; just walk away and move onto a professional career since cementing his legacy), Jeremy may wind up going after all.
    I'm pretty sure Ryan will show up at Worlds. Why would he come back to skate at Nationals and have that be it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ryan will show up at Worlds. Why would he come back to skate at Nationals and have that be it?
    If Scott Hamilton offered him a good sum to sign with SOI immediately, I suppose Ryan might have skipped Worlds. Since that didn't happen, however, I think Ryan will go to Worlds. Since he is Nat champ, I think he is jinxed, but Richard or Ross (or both) will be able to do well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    If Scott Hamilton offered him a good sum to sign with SOI immediately, I suppose Ryan might have skipped Worlds. Since that didn't happen, however, I think Ryan will go to Worlds. Since he is Nat champ, I think he is jinxed, but Richard or Ross (or both) will be able to do well.
    I don't think he would have skipped it. What would be the point of coming back just for Nationals? Isn't the main point of going to Nationals to qualify for Worlds?

vCash
    I think Ryan's main points were:

1. To satisfy his fans
    2. To win Nationals if possible

I wonder if he even thought past that.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The Skating Club of Boston is hosting a Worlds Sendoff reception for Ross Miner at 7 pm on Friday, March 4. It seems to be for SCoB members but here's the club's Contact page if any fans in the area would like to inquire about the possibility of attending: http://www.scboston.org/about/contact-us
    Publicity flier: http://yfrog.com/f/gzahbgoj/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I think Ryan's main points were:

1. To satisfy his fans
    2. To win Nationals if possible

I wonder if he even thought past that.
    How could you not? All that effort to start training again and then just do one competition and leave? That would be crazy

vCash
    It was only a month before US Nationals that his mother convinced him to really compete at Nationals rather than just appear and skate to vocals and do back flips & such. He was going to retire last year. Now he sees a future, but in December, I don't think he was thinking past Nationals. Having won, he's looking to Worlds and growing a "worlds" beard with Patrick Chan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    How could you not? All that effort to start training again and then just do one competition and leave? That would be crazy
    Yes and being on the World Team is also a very special thing for an athlete. I think Ryan would be crazy to withdraw from Worlds if he didn't have to.

vCash
    By all accounts, Ryan is now training hard for Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The Skating Club of Boston is hosting a Worlds Sendoff reception for Ross Miner at 7 pm on Friday, March 4. It seems to be for SCoB members but here's the club's Contact page if any fans in the area would like to inquire about the possibility of attending: http://www.scboston.org/about/contact-us
    Publicity flier: http://yfrog.com/f/gzahbgoj/
    Thanks for the info. But why does the Skating Club of Boston always schedule events at the same time as the Boston Stars on Ice show??? Last year I couldn't go to Ice Chips because it was the same day as Stars on Ice. And now this reception is the same night as Stars on Ice! You'd think some of the club members would want to go to Stars no???

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345