Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross Miner

vCash

Ross Miner

Is he competing at Nationals this year?

vCash
    Yes, it will be his Senior debut.

Here's a thread with links to some articles on Miner from September (after he competed at the Middle Atlantics club competition in NYC): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74972

ETA: Link to the current top scores of all the U.S. Senior Men who are known to be competing at 2011 Nationals.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-04-2010 at 09:27 PM.

vCash

Ross Miner

Did he have a bye through Easterns?

vCash
    He competed on the GP, so he has a bye through to Nationals.

He was 7th at CoC and 9th at NHK.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011185.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by muffinbiscuit View Post
    Did he have a bye through Easterns?
    More specifically, the dates of NHK Trophy gave Miner a bye through New England Regionals and Cup of China gave him a bye through Eastern Sectionals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes, it will be his Senior debut.
    Yay!

vCash
    So, bumping this thread up... it turned out to be quite a senior debut for Ross Miner!

Post-Nationals article published today: Miner takes major step with bronze medal

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Another of "my" SCoB kids! (Hey, I fed them all for a year...) I am thrilled beyond words for Ross!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Post-Nationals article published today: Miner takes major step with bronze medal
    "...tennis is his second passion after skating..."

Atta boy, Ross! I knew I was gonna like this kid.....

vCash
    Terrific debut for Ross. Here's hoping he repeats at Worlds.

vCash
    Ross and his dad usually are at Liberty. Very nice people.

The Casablanca program has come a huge long way since Liberty. We absolutely loved it at Nationals-the pattern of the program on the ice is particularly pleasing, something that shows up best several rows up.

And the effortless glide and speed, particularly in the spread eagle sequence up and down the ice, ending in a 3/2/2, was particularly great live. And I've got to say, I really enjoyed the waltz circular step that he began with, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v16hYvHwg5Q

I was not as crazy about his sp, Partkiki by Piazzolla, billed as a Salsa Medley. However I did like the flying upright spin, as something a bit different, and I do like his spread eagles, and the height of his jumps these days. He could use a more Salsa-esque costume, I think, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFyUw...eature=related

Plus he's a nice kid.

Ice Network has a nice interview with him, where he says he felt he squandered his Grand Prix opportunities, came back from China and sat down with his coaches, and completed changed his training regimen.

It shows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Ice Network has a nice interview with him, where he says he felt he squandered his Grand Prix opportunities, came back from China and sat down with his coaches, and completed changed his training regimen.
    It's the article link I posted earlier: Miner takes major step with bronze medal

vCash
    Go Ross! I admit I was not much of a fan of his over the last few years, found him rather stale- but I really felt a huge improvement from him at Nationals. I'm not sure exactly what changed but I really like what I see from him now. It's really nice to see the progression of guys like Dornbush, Miner, and Mahbanoozadeh from fairly boring but solid juniors to quite exciting senior men! Congrats to these guys and their coaches on their tremendous improvements!!!

BTW, if you actually look at the fields Ross was skating against at his GP events, I thought he did fairly well for a debut season. Of course he could have placed a couple spots higher, and I'm confident he will manage to do so next season, but he shouldn't feel too badly about how he did.

vCash

Ross Earned His Spot

If Nationals is to be taken seriously by the competitors and the public as the ultimate showdown competition, the placements here should determine the world team. Skaters talking about "peaking at worlds" should save this talk for AFTER they compete at nationals and earn their spot. Ross earned it fair and square. This doom and gloom talk helps no one, least of all figure skating as a sport. I look forward to seeing Ross compete for the US at Worlds.

vCash
    yep ross earned the spot fair and square ... i like his clean style of skating. he really put in everything but the kitchensink last week. off you go to tokyo my friend!

vCash
    Ross's LP was much better than his SP. I wish he and his team would re-choreograph the SP to put more Oomphs into it.

I think the heavy forward lurch Ross does before his 3A gives that jump somewhat of an unstable feeling for me. I wonder if Mitchell and Johanssen have trouble teaching 3A, because their former student Steven Carrierre also had a weird entrance into his 3A.

vCash
    Previous to Nationals, Ross's 3A wasn't as high, and tended to finish low. So he has obviously been working on it, because it went sky high at Nationals. However, you're right, and some more work to smooth it out is in order.

And I agree that his SP needs something. For one thing he needs a costume that says "Salsa Medley" rather than "Zorro".

And something else for the LP, too, but obviously he can't wear a fedora and a trench coat.

http://thebestpictureproject.files.w...asablanca3.jpg

maybe the dinner jacket and black bowtie look with the black pants from the bar scene where Sam is playing "As Time Goes By"?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I would swear Ross used to have a show program to Casablanca, and wore something more akin to a dinner jacket for it. This was a few years ago, though, so it's been a while and I might be misremembering the costume.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I would swear Ross used to have a show program to Casablanca, and wore something more akin to a dinner jacket for it. This was a few years ago, though, so it's been a while and I might be misremembering the costume.
    Casablanca (with the dinner jacket style costume) was his 2007 novice free skate.

vCash
    BTW, I love the way he skated up and threw snow from his skates into the camera and followed it up with a Mr. Frack cantilever in the Gala. (Skating to Born to Run by The Boss)

Super.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast