Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Was Tonya actually hurt by the removal of figures? She was certainly better than Yamaguchi, Kerrigan or Ito at them. Though I guess Trenary might have continued her career had figures continued to be included.
    I always thought the only reason Trenary retired was she was forced to by injury. I dont think she was as uncompetitive without figures as some think. The first event she was in without figures was the Goodwill Games which with Ito missing was hyped as an a 3-way all American battle for gold between Trenary, Kerrigan, and Yamaguchi. She easily beat Kerrigan and very narrowly missed beating Yamaguchi by .1 despite a subpar peformance with several mistakes. If she had stayed healthy I think she would have remained on the U.S World and Olympic teams and a threat to medal at all major events, though probably not winning gold again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I always thought the only reason Trenary retired was she was forced to by injury. I dont think she was as uncompetitive without figures as some think.
    IIRC, she came back in 1991 (Skate Canada ?) and realized that it would be too difficult against Tonya, Nancy and Kristi without a 3Lutz, nor a 3Loop. Didn't she finish in 4th at 1991 Skate Canada ?

vCash
    Probably. And although she got a lot of mileage out of credit for her 3F, as often as not, she either fell on it, or deliberately did a 3T instead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    IIRC, she came back in 1991 (Skate Canada ?) and realized that it would be too difficult against Tonya, Nancy and Kristi without a 3Lutz, nor a 3Loop. Didn't she finish in 4th at 1991 Skate Canada ?
    Yes, behind Bonaly, Kielmann, and Preston.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^That must have bit, having been World Champion in the spring, then finishing behind Bonaly in fall.

vCash
    Heck with Bonaly. Behind Kielmann and Preston?? Oh the Shame

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Bring back Harding and Bobek!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I watched some Agnes Zawadzki, and I have to say that she is very impressive and right on time to compete with Rachel and Mirai . . . YES!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Tonya never got a pair of "magic skates" from Carlo Fassi, like Trenary, so she had to wait until Trenary was not competitive anymore.
    What is the "magic skates" story? I've never heard it, but I wasn't following closely then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Heck with Bonaly. Behind Kielmann and Preston?? Oh the Shame
    IIRC, Trenary was 1st in the SP, then fell on just about everything in the long and dropped to fourth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoptoad View Post
    What is the "magic skates" story? I've never heard it, but I wasn't following closely then.
    Once one of his skaters had established himself/herself as one to watch in the freeskating, something would come out in the media to the effect that he made or gave that skater some new skates specifically for doing figures better, then all of a sudden that skater would start scoring better in the compulsory figures portion of the competition.

vCash
    Trenary couldnt even land a double axel consistently anymore after her injury. I think without her injury she would have been strong enough to stay ahead of someone like Kerrigan for example. Remember she had a huge reputation in the sport at the time, the judges always gave her very high 2nd marks, and someone like Kerrigan only did 4 triples a program on a good day anyway. Likely had everything followed course recent World Champion and veteran star Trenary would have needed only 3 triples per competition to safely keep beating relative "nobody" Kerrigan and her 4 triples per event, and Kerrigan medaled in ALL the major events of 91-92.

vCash
    I miss Nicole Bobek.....

vCash
    Who needs Harding or Bobek back when Gao is going to dominate the international skating scene by 2012-2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Once one of his skaters had established himself/herself as one to watch in the freeskating, something would come out in the media to the effect that he made or gave that skater some new skates specifically for doing figures better, then all of a sudden that skater would start scoring better in the compulsory figures portion of the competition.
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12